The best way to explain "open source" to someone?

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

People ask me how I like my droid all the time and what it is I like about it. I show it off the best that I can and explain that it is open source. Most say "Whats that?". What is the best way to explain what it is and what is the good and bad about it. In addition, I also mention that the market isn't regulated like the "App store" that apple has. It allows for many more apps to be posted to the market. Iphone people quickly say "I would never go to a system like that, you could get malicous software that way". Truthfully, you could. But whats a good answer to that?

Advertisement
  2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Not to mention that we quickly spot apps that are either unnecessary or else malicious - Droid Antiviirus anyone?

4. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

You might try an apple/windows analogy. Windows (droid) can run most anything, while mac (iphone) is limited in the programs it can run. Windows are more suceptible to viruses, that's a well known fact, but still most consumers choose windows. Why? It can run more programs and at the end of the day, windows (droid) is more functional. Not the best analogy of course, but perhaps it will get the point across.

5. alostpacket

Probably more akin to linux vs steve jobs telling you when it's ok to use the bathroom err macs

6. johnlgalt

You could say that.

But it would not be an accurate statement.

A better analogy to explain the open source community is to look at it as a true community - a global community - so that instead of dealing with a company that has corporate offices, help desk, and whatnot, you're dealing with real people, from all around the world, who really value both the free as well as the open part of FOSS. Problems are found much much faster, and b/c the community is global, it never sleeps - so passing off malware and the like in the market is a lot harder than one would think it is just b/c of the market having an open door policy.

7. alostpacket

hehe, i snuck under the gun :)

8. johnlgalt

Yeah, had to edit my post an add the quotation so it didn't look like I was trying to be a jerk to you - already in enough trouble with you from last night!

9. alostpacket

lol it's all good

10. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

ha ha. yeah, you can say that open source means you can get beta apps too, if you follow people on twitter, they will ask you to test the beta and see how it works. i got qik HD beta. it worked well and now its live. well its just qik but in HD :)

11. johnlgalt

I beta test plenty of non open source programs.

I am a beta tester for MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, Office 2010, DAP, tons of other products.

beta testing is not limited to OS....

12. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

I know it's not entirely accurate but I thought this comparison might work when explaining it to a less tech-inclined individual. And I agree, it could be better compared to linux vs mac, though for explaining it to someone who doesn't know much about computers, I think Windows/Mac would work better. It seems like even if you're not a computer whiz, you typically know the key arguments between Windows/Mac, though admittedly not EVERYONE does, I think most average consumers do :) But anyways, when scrutinously comparing the Windows/Mac OS's, it's definitely much different from Droid/iPhone comparison.

13. hitdog042

hitdog042 Well-Known Member

yeah. Open source = a ton or craptastic apps in the market. But thank god I can get my soundboard for 600 shows.

I'd like to know who pays for that crapola.