The BIG 2.1 Thread

Last Updated:

1. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Another Nexus One Video Emerges | Android Phone Fans

Watch the first video of the Nexus! It has the animated wallpaper! Now wouldn't that be totally awesome on our Droids?! Like the ultimate WOW factor for people! I mean omg I would love to have wallpapers like with falling snow and sweet as heck stuff like that!! waves crashing in!! omg that'd just be sickkk!! WHEN'S 2.1 COMING?!?! ;) hahaha.. but seriously wow! what do you guys think of that video??

- this is not a nexus discussion... please lol.. Droid is better! DUHHH! :rolleyes: HAHA

Advertisement
  2. aggressor2323

aggressor2323 Member

3. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

This is the biggest question I have about the Android platform as a whole. When newer versions of the OS are released, which phones get the update? Going by pasted updates (1.5 --> 1.6, 1.6 --> 2.0), it's up to the carrier.

When comparison to the IPhone(yes, I am going there), every IPhone gets the update. I wish Android would start like that. Hopefully, the *huge* changes that were made in 2.0 will allow any 2.0 phone to update to a newer version of the OS without the carrier getting involved other than to push it out.

4. N2o

N2o Active Member

I find it more and more entertaining at the people who seem to think more fancy UI effects make the product better. Maybe its because I'm a developer and prefer functionality over looks (and I don't own anything apple). I just know when you add more glittery effects, you sacrafice performance.

5. fam

fam Well-Known Member

hopefully our droid gets it!

6. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

That's OK, the processor in that thing is BUTCH. On every other android handheld ... I might just say skip some of the flash. Not only performance but the batter life would go to poo.

But it is nice!

7. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I agree with you to an extent. Animated wallpapers might just be a little bit much. Of course, everybody wants their things to look somewhat attractive. Not many people would buy a hideous car just because the seats are comfortable or the gas mileage is good.

8. N2o

N2o Active Member

Yea, I'm not knocking the idea but this was more of a rant to some of my friends who claim the iPhone is better because it can do this or this which are simply UI effects and have nothing to do with capability. Fancy screens != fancy product. (MacOS. Pwnt)

9. vincentp

If anything gets it, I'm relatively confident the Droid will. Who knows, we may even be surprised and see it in the next month or two, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

10. vincentp

Well there I can't disagree with you. I'm an avid iPhone hater.

11. Reniassance_Man

Reniassance_Man Active Member

Man, I'm a bit bummed that the 2.1 update ended up not including flash support. Ironically, here I was thinking how much it sucked that some Android phones were still waiting for 2.0.1 update and I didn't think that I'd already be in the position of being one-upped as a Droid owner only a month after release.

12. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member

Where have you been? Flash 10 will be available in the first quarter of the new year, from adobe.

13. OZFive

OZFive Well-Known Member

Since (If I am not mistaken) the Moto Droid is a Google Experience phone and able to receive updates straight form Google vs. waiting for the handset manufacturer (Moto) have to customize it first. Would not 2.1 be a expected and done deal when it is available?

14. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member

I really hope 2.1 fixes some of the issues with the ui though. I mean, that hitch between scrolling between homescreens got really old really quick (hence why I'm using home++). I would looooove to not need to use a homescreen replacement app.

I agree, things like what's in that are meh in terms of what I care about. But to have an actually useful bar at the bottom of every screen (thank you home++), and some other "upgrades" to how functional the ui is...yes please.

15. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 Well-Known Member

Is 2.1 supposed to be released on the Droid?

16. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Truth.

2.1 would also explain why HTC has yet to update the Sense UI for their other phones up into the 2.0 realm. It's nice to know we Droid users have our own custom OS.:D

17. jakone

jakone Member

It is people like them who make money for people like you.:)

18. gthrift

gthrift Guest

Rumor is that it will be pushed out at the end of January. (the 22nd, I think)`

19. eclipsed4utoo

it would depend if the update breaks the DROID or not. If the changes cause issues on the DROID but not on the Nexus One (or other 2.1 phones), then it's up to Motorola to fix the issues.

20. zoukis05

zoukis05 Well-Known Member

I thought the rumor was that there would be an update at the end of January (I think you're right about the 22nd), there's been minor speculation but mostly doubt that it will bring us 2.1, most are expecting 2.02.

21. eclipsed4utoo

agreed.

22. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I would like to play with the animated wallpapers for fun, but I most certainly would not use them.

I wish Android provided an option to pick a simple background color instead of a wallpaper. And yes, I realize that I can create my own wallpaper consisting of just one color and have done so.

23. OZFive

OZFive Well-Known Member

I see the point, but I thought Google Experience phones were supposed to be absolutely vanilla Android and not having special adaptations based on specific phones.

Am I being totally dense here?

If this is the case, why would I want to buy a phone that could not be upgraded and just wait for Nexus One and go with a phone that I know would be upgraded asap for sure when Google made updates ready? (I really do not want to go with T-Mobile though)

24. eclipsed4utoo

or download one from the internet.

25. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

Some manufacturers provide upgrades to Android that you may want. Look at how pretty Sense UI is. No you won't be among the first to play with new versions from Google, but you'll have that pretty UI all the time.

Now that the Droid has been rooted, I'm waiting for Sense UI to be updated for Android 2.0 (hopefully 2.1) to flash it to my Droid.