• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The BIG 2.1 Thread

Well you have a point, but I think the point everyone else is trying to make is that if you add shiny UI effects that don't serve any purpose besides to look nice, you're just bogging down the system. Like the animated background, or 3d app drawer. It's overdoing it on the visuals and it will end up slowing the phone down overall.

From all the post from people using the nexus so far they have all said it IS faster then the droid, so even if they have added nice effects, they have found ways to speed it up. I know it has a nicer processer, but in the google blog they say they are refining the code to make it faster as they pretty up the ui. It seems like people dont think they can have both fast and nice, its ok to want both and have both.

Upvote 0
I suspect 2.1 won't be on the droid for quite a while. It looks like google is porting it over in small pieces. We already have the lock screen but I suspect more significant changes have to be made to make it work with the droid. Unless you plan on using completely different roms like hero or motoblur...I would just wait for OTA updates. Even using the direct zip install for the last update caused people problems.

Also as far as the OP...it does seem like a satirical post....or just an over enthusiastic droid user. It is the kind of reaction more typical of iphone kids.
It's already confirmed that the Hero, Moment and Droid Eris will be getting 2.1 early in 2010. And there might be another Motorola Phone (can't recall the name, slider... looks like crap) coming to VZW in Q1 with 2.1. There's no way they won't get 2.1 on the Droid. It wouldn't make any sense to have your flagship phone running an older version of the OS.

Upvote 0
And he should trusted because....? I can't count how many times "sources" have been wrong.

Let's just do it like this - wait 45 days or so, open the thread back up - and I was either right, or I was wrong. If I was wrong, I'll promptly apologize. I'm not going to argue back and forth over something that can't be proven yet. But Im very confident that I won't be apologizing.

Upvote 0
AllDroid.org - View topic - [Rom] Stable 2.1 Rooted ROM for moto DROID-NANDROID required

Youtube

This looks very promising and very fast. I still plan on waiting until the official release from Verizon even though I'm tempted to get this on my phone now. Early reports say that there are now 5 screens with the ability to preview each screen on the bottom of your home, a much better gallery where pictures actually tilt when you tilt the screen and displays photos from your Picasa account. The app menu is available as a 3D cube, though I have not seen this in action yet. Dock app actually dims now.

Upvote 0
I'm running this right now with no problems.

I'm a pretty big fan of the default 5 screens. It runs quite quickly, and the new app drawer animations are smooth. The gallery is upgraded majorly.

The media app remains the same however. Bugs include: Verizon shows up as "T-CDMA 64" and apparently only aGPS works, the actual chip does not (I have not confirmed this yet).

Here are some screenshots:

4198522160_31b3b42b63_o.jpg

4197768271_e6a23eb412_o.jpg

4198522206_c67cd77b08_o.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm running this right now with no problems.

I'm a pretty big fan of the default 5 screens. It runs quite quickly, and the new app drawer animations are smooth. The gallery is upgraded majorly.

The media app remains the same however. Bugs include: Verizon shows up as "T-CDMA 64" and apparently only aGPS works, the actual chip does not (I have not confirmed this yet).

@Fabolous

Can you post some pics of the gallery and the screen preview option? Also, what is the new app drawer like?

Upvote 0
@Fabolous

Can you post some pics of the gallery and the screen preview option? Also, what is the new app drawer like?

@Fabolous
Did you fix the file so your keyboard back light lights up?

No, I don't have the file to fix the keyboard backlight. I saw something about it in the AllDroid thread though, but I don't know where to get it/copy it to.

Here are some more screencaps:

4197843959_fd51e28472_o.jpg

4198598720_ece36d65b7_o.jpg

4197845699_36bc34d78f_o.jpg

The gallery image is a little cut off on the left side because I have to shake to get drocap to work, and the gallery "tilts" when you shake the phone.

Doesn't seem like there is the WebOS-like card view. The little boxes at the bottom brings up the app drawer. I also cannot find any options for animated wallpaper.

We may have to wait for an updated 2.1 leak/the real thing for these (rumored?) features.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones