• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help the big Q about the big Q...

If you are talking "legally", I am not sure. Sense is from HTC. If you are talking "possibly", I imagine a ROM dump will occur in a very short time. How that will work, I don't know. HTC to Samsung to HTC... I'll leave that to the experts. I do know that most would like the choice of having Sense on the Samsung and Motorola phones (in general... I'm sure many like Moto Blur). Some like the generic Android screen because it is faster. Me, I like Sense. So, I think I'll go with Hero. I'd like a faster CPU, but in a couple months a faster CPU will come out anyway. The keyboard would be great to have. I know that the HTC phones are generally well-built. The Samsung phones, I am not too sure about. Maybe someone in the know could chime in?

Upvote 0
good points

the hero just seems more "polished"

and "finished"

plus, HTC seems to be good with ongoing support/improvements

i'm reading over at xda - it seems like there hasn't been a port of the sense ui to the galaxy yet and look how long that's been around - !!

that might be a bit of an indication right there of what we've got to look fwd to if we're waiting for sense on a sammy

but keep in mind.. i'm new to the xda forums over there and i haven't read *everythign* yet

!

Upvote 0
Its gonna be awhile till Sense is ported to the Moment, but I do think it will happen eventually. The Galaxy wasn't released in the US so it's not quite as popular, and from my experience at XDA almost all of the ROM cooks are American. Also I noticed in a few threads that you have the impression HTC has good ongoing support, I politely disagree. I've had 4 HTC phones and they have barely, if ever, put out updates for the OS. With WinMo we never got upgrades, and there was TONS of issues with drivers and graphics. The thing with Sense getting put onto 1.6/2.0 is that they have to do a lot of work. It's embedded in the framework and I'm pretty sure its in the kernel also. If you look at TouchFlo's history you will see they never upgraded old phones with new versions of it (thank god for XDA) instead they put the new versions onto new phones. They may have better support then Samsung, but thats because of XDA and the rest of the Dev community, not HTC.

Upvote 0
The thing with HTC phones is they tend to have more dev's in general so its always a quicker process. If the Moment gets really popular then you will see it sooner, but honestly with the Hero being on sprint your gonna need a dev who REALLY prefers a hard keyboard enough to get the Moment.

You should stick with your Hero and see what happens, if a new Android device comes to sprint with better specs/better software then you can always eBay/Craigslist your Hero and it should cover a good chunk of what the newer phone would cost out of contract. Another thing you can do is study study study and try to modify it in your spare time, I know a couple dev's on XDA did it that way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones