Last Updated:

1. lovebritty

lovebritty Member This Topic's Starter

so wtf is the need for this hack?

and if i do it and mess up...can i brick the dam thing ?lol:p

Advertisement
  2. scheng12

scheng12 Well-Known Member

Do a search around the forums. This question has been answered countless times.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

There's no "need" for root. It's just cool for people who like to do more customization or techies who enjoy playing with the phone and opening up some other options. There are certain types of apps and modifications that will only work when the phone is rooted.

If you have to try to rationalize it, then rooting is probably not the best option for you. I'm a faily big tech geek myself, and I haven't bothered to root mine because I'm perfectly happy with it as is right now. In the future, who knows, but don't do it "just because" unless you really have a reason to.

4. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member

Yes, you could brick your device. If you're not sure of the benefits of rooting, I would simply sit tight and wait for 2.1.

I flashed ROMs on WinMo phones on a seemingly nightly basis, but unfortunately, that was almost a necessity as WinMo has been traditionally a bit crippled out of the box (at least that's how I justified my chronic tinkering). This OS updates on a regular basis, so that has satiated my hacking desire a bit.

5. lovebritty

lovebritty Member This Topic's Starter

whens 2.1 comin out?

6. ItalianScallion

Perhaps late January according to some reports

7. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

What reports? I have only seen posts here from other members claiming it is gonna be 2.1 but I would put my money on it being another minor update like before, with the Nexus One coming out in January I would HIGHLY doubt they will let any other devices in on 2.1 since it is a big selling point of the Nexus. And to the OP, I don't think you would gain anything from rooting, to get anything big out of it you need to have basic command line knowledge and be willing to read for a few hours on how to use ADB to push certain things. If you ever come across a app you want really bad and it requires root then I would try to do it, otherwise enjoy your DROID as-is instead of turning it into a paperweight.

8. ItalianScallion

Sure, it could be another x.x.1 update. Could be 2.0.2, might be 2.1. That's why I specifically stated "perhaps." VZW's leaked memo only mentioned a planned update in January.

Frankly, from all I've seen, 2.1 looks like a minor update. Sure, there are needed speed increases and we get some UI polish, but unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a game changer like widgets in Cupcake or nav in Eclair.

9. CRPercodani

Well it is a big update for the simple fact it has a name "Flan". Also the UI changes are very very big and haven't been done before. Yea I have seen that memo, but it isn't confirming what it will be, just that it will be out in January.

10. scheng12

scheng12 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but 2.0 was a pretty big selling point for the Droid and I've heard places that that will be released to the Hero/Eris. Wouldn't that be along the same veins as what 2.1 would be like? Of course, it would update with the Nexus One release, but perhaps a few months later.

11. CRPercodani

And the Hero has been out for a long time, like 6 months or more. The Eris is just another reincarnation of it so if that's the sort of time line then we have a long time to go.

12. ItalianScallion

Judging from Google's recent comments regarding their concern over Android's fragmentation, I just honestly can't see them having the two flagship Android devices on different .x versions, at least not for any extended period of time. It makes little sense now with Android rallying around the Droid and N1, and it fuels additional complaints from the press and public about splintering of the OS. Further, why work on 2.1 for the N1 and 2.0.x for the Droid concurrently?

I envision T-Mo marketing the N1 from a customization standpoint, much like they do with the MT3G, with some strong points for hardware and Google Nav...essentially, a better iPhone, versus VZW's positioning of the Droid as the anti-iPhone. I have a hard time seeing T-Mo trying to push 2.1's increased speed, five homescreens and animated wallpaper - it'd be difficult to communicate that from a marketing perspective to your average consumer, at least not as main selling points.

More importantly, I don't think Google wants devices associated with it (particularly those branded "with Google") actively competing against one another. If you want John Q. Public to view your OS as a viable alternative to others, I don't think you want a Google phone vs. Google phone war in the marketplace. A different OS on two premium devices would inevitably be the opening salvos in that war.

Finally, I'd be very surprised if VZW didn't contractually wring out an OS update schedule for the Droid that ensures it gets timely updates to the latest and greatest. After all, as much as VZW needed a hit smartphone, Google needed a carrier to push Android to the forefront. Verizon provided that.

With that being said, it's anybody's guess as to when 2.1 would officially come to the Droid. I'm betting on late January, but certainly if Google completely changes its gameplan and goes solo on hardware a la Apple, then we might not get 2.1 on the Droid for quite some time. Of course, that would probably make HTC Google's version of Apple's Foxconn, something I find improbable.

13. CaptainRon

CaptainRon Well-Known Member

That certainly makes sense and I hope you're right. I'm not ready for my fancy phone to be outdated.

14. CRPercodani

Google needed a carrier to bring Android out in the beginning which ended up being T-Mobile, with the G1/Dream. If anyone here had one from the start then you remember how looong it took for them to send out Donut aka 1.6, and they still haven't put 2.0 out for it yet. Same with the MyTouch3G, and HTC is just now getting around to updating all the Hero revisions with something newer then 1.5.