The boot loader (US VERSION)

1. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

I have yet to get a confirmation on this from any US carrier. Can the boot loader be unlocked? I know this is verizon and while other carriers may have an S3 who's boot loader can be unlocked, well, we all know how Big Red is about this.

Is there any confirmation about the status of the S3s boot loader any US carrier? Is it locked down as tight as a motorola droid phone? Or will we be able to unlock the boot loader?

:eek:

Advertisement
  2. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Hoping to find out as well. If the bootloader is unlocked, I'm probably going to get one (hopefully with some sort of credit to my line or something from VZW due to the mid-call muting issues) with the hopes that the audio quality during calls and the radio itself is better.
  3. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

when HTC started their unlocked policy Verizon did not interfere with it. so I would suspect the same will be said about Samsung phones.
  4. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Yeah but this is Verizon we're talking about. :) I hope you're right though.

And I hope the RIL is figured out quickly so we have some AOSP ROMs to choose from soon!
  5. bishop0114

bishop0114 Well-Known Member

ajdroidx likes this.
  6. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

ajdroidx likes this.
  7. fbm111

fbm111 Well-Known Member

Who knows what is really going on yet. Galaxy nexus was locked. You had to unlock it. Being locked is a good thing for most people. Being locked and encrypted is when you should worryB-)
  8. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

No it wasn't. It was a matter of doing a fastboot oem unlock and a few seconds.later you're good to go. This is a big deal for people who want the flexibility to root/rom. A locked bootloader is just typical Verizon trying to exert draconian control over everything. T-Mobile is looking better and better.
  9. artman540

artman540 Well-Known Member

The Galaxy Nexus was 100% locked, hence the reason you had to unlock it. It took all of... one minute.
  10. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Obviously we're talking about whether or not it can be unlocked. The Nexus was unlockable BY DEFINITION and design. The sgs3 bootloader is purposely locked to prevent flashing parts of the OS. this is totally different from the nexus being "locked".
  11. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

Well, if this is the case, that is pretty much two strikes against the phone and or perhaps verizon. :(
  12. rmcf

rmcf Well-Known Member

Im going to play with the phone for 14 days and then return it/cut ties with Verizon. I love my unlimited data but im not handing over my hard earned money to a company that is pretty much telling me how i can or cannot use my phone.

I'll be looking into Tmobile in the meantime.
  13. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

I just got shipping notice tonight and my GS3 will be arriving Monday. However, I'm very tempted to return it unopened and just keep my Galaxy Nexus until the lines on my family plan are off contract.

Getting very tired of Verizon's arrogant handling of everything from voice/data plans to encrypted bootloaders:

- Forcing Share Everything down our throats (sure we can keep our current plan for now, but we'll all have to be on SE sooner or later)

- Raising and adding fees

- Screwing up the Galaxy Nexus launch and software udpates

- Locking and encrypting the GS3 bootloader (even as the other carriers left it unencrypted)

- Forcing that stupid Wifi toggle notification in the main notification area instead of with the toggles like on the other carrier versions (really Verizon, are we stupid enough that you have to constantly remind us to switch to WIFI????)

- Always late with updates, so I'm sure we'll be the last ones to receive GS3 updates

All of this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I am done with them!
  14. timelord65

timelord65 Well-Known Member

The droid x had a locked boot-loader and still had awesome rom development. So I'm sure devs will come up with lots of great roms for us to play with.
  15. c4v3man

c4v3man Well-Known Member

The problem is that the rest of the planet will get JellyBean on their GS3 probably within a month from now, the Verizon version won't until the official release (which will probably be over a month behind every other carrier's official release), or will be using an older kernel that will likely cause problems. The DroidX never ran ICS properly... you should know that.
  16. Metfanant

Metfanant Well-Known Member

I can confirm, through the Samsung Galaxy Support Team (Level 2), that the request for the ENCRYPTED bootloader (not just locked) was made by Verizon themselves, and Verizon was the ONLY carrier to want this...

The bootloader status is also part of the OEM/Carrier agreement between Samsung and VZW, and because of said agreement, VZW is the only party with the ability to unlock the device...

i got the vibe from the tech that i spoke to, that VZW requested this and that they would have refused the carry the device without Samsung agreeing to the the modification

Edit: I've also read from someone who has spoken with a Level 3 Samsung Tech...that the phones left Samsung and Verizon THEMSELVES performed the software modifications...this person got the vibe from his tech that Samsung was resistant to the modification, but that VZW went ahead with it anyway
  17. qwer777

qwer777 Active Member

I've decided to leave for AT&T. Faster data speeds, an extra GB data for the same price, rollover minutes all had me strongly considering, but this pushed me over the edge.

Also, some members over at XDA have decided to start a petition if you want to sign.
  18. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Going to be a way of life at Verizon I'm afraid, they love locking down phones as much as possible.
  19. chill145

chill145 Well-Known Member

If I don't see it being fixed then yes. At&t or tmobile, anybody have insight on which is better as far as speeds (I'm in Connecticut and also frequent Boston alot)
  20. fbm111

fbm111 Well-Known Member

It really is no big deal. Devs will figure it out it is already rooted.
  21. darkestred

darkestred Well-Known Member

Really depends on the area. Tmobile is just awful in general. But they do have good coverage in certain area's. AT&T will have better overall coverage. Same goes for LTE/HSPA.
    chill145 likes this.
  22. clubberlang

clubberlang Member

Verizons speeds and stability is better (depends on the area though) but I switched to AT&T though because I wanted 3gb of data instead of the 1gb Verizon was offering at the same price. I could care less about unlimited talk time.
  23. SamMax

SamMax Well-Known Member

Trust me brother AT&T is evil. The grass is no greener over there. I just left them with no intentions of ever returning.
  24. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I moved this thread to the ATR forum as it's more of a root discussion than a general Galaxy S3 discussion.