• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "bump-charging" issue is NOT an issue in reality

mobilehavoc

Oct 11, 2009
NYC area
Long story short, I have had the 1200mah stock, the 1850 Seido and now the 2100mah Verizon. I've had many ROMs, 2.1, 2.2, custom, etc. No matter what the phone drops battery level fast if you let it charge to 100% overnight for example and take it off.

Many people know about this. What I've discovered though, at least for me, is that in the end you get the same battery life whether you "bump charge" or not.

Case in point.

I bump charged and after 15 hours of usage I was at 33%

I did not bump charged and after 15 hours of very similar usage I was at 36%.

I watched it and when I don't bump charge the battery will stick in some spots for a while which leads me to believe it's just a reporting issue. i.e. Yesterday it took 3 hours to go from 85 to 84%.

Then later it took 2 hours to go from 71-70.

When I bump charge the drop is more uniform but at the end of the day I get the same battery life.

Could just be me but wanted to share :D

Its just you, cause my battery won't do that. Its a lot better now though cause I have Virtuous + custom kernel + INCredible Revolution theme which is all black. 7 hours and i'm on 73%. Thats with using internet and playing angry birds. A lot of texting and a phone call or two. When I was stock 2.1 and Froyo I had to bump charge to get more out of my battery.

Upvote 0
Its just you, cause my battery won't do that.

I agree, my battery life was horrible before bump charging. Before It would last maybe 12 hours now it lasts almost 24 all with heavy usage, after clearing my battery stats I only have to charge once and I'm good. I could not be happier.... except maybe a widget for launcherpro that will toggle my mobile network.

Upvote 0
Long story short, I have had the 1200mah stock, the 1850 Seido and now the 2100mah Verizon. I've had many ROMs, 2.1, 2.2, custom, etc. No matter what the phone drops battery level fast if you let it charge to 100% overnight for example and take it off.

Many people know about this. What I've discovered though, at least for me, is that in the end you get the same battery life whether you "bump charge" or not.

Case in point.

I bump charged and after 15 hours of usage I was at 33%

I did not bump charged and after 15 hours of very similar usage I was at 36%.

I watched it and when I don't bump charge the battery will stick in some spots for a while which leads me to believe it's just a reporting issue. i.e. Yesterday it took 3 hours to go from 85 to 84%.

Then later it took 2 hours to go from 71-70.

When I bump charge the drop is more uniform but at the end of the day I get the same battery life.

Could just be me but wanted to share :D

Wrong numbers. But other than that....No you're wrong. Bump charging works great. Huge difference in battery life for me and all three of my friends I converted to the Inc.

Upvote 0
not just him, bump charging does give you 12 extra hours of life!

to my knowledge, if you leave the phone on and charge you will only get about 90% charge even though it reports 100% and after a while quit charger and you can even see the% will drop down slowly.

If you then turn the phone off and remove the charger for a bit and then plug it back in the phone will then continue to 100% with the phone off. This will be a true 100% charge or as close to it as possible.

but to claim you are doubling you battery life because of that extra 10% is ludicrous. I have done it various times and never gotten that much more, maybe an hour or 2 but that is about what 10% should be for my use.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I don't get HORRIBLE battery life without a bump charge however, I get better battery life just charging my phone while it is off. If I charge it while its on, then bump charge, I get better life than not bumping after charging while it is on.
If I charge it while it is off and then bump, I dont see a significant difference.

Upvote 0
I agree, my battery life was horrible before bump charging. Before It would last maybe 12 hours now it lasts almost 24 all with heavy usage, after clearing my battery stats I only have to charge once and I'm good. I could not be happier.... except maybe a widget for launcherpro that will toggle my mobile network.

How do you clear your battery stats? I figure mine were cleared after a factory reset but is there another way to do this?

I am getting about 24 hours after bump charging and maybe 16 hours without the bump. Bump charging works!!

Upvote 0
Shouldn't you be able to just look at the voltage level of the battery with and without bump charging to see if it makes a difference? I makes a small difference for me, but not enough to really matter for me.

For example, if it is 10pm at night it doesnt matter if my phone says I have 5hrs left or 10hrs left, I'll probably put it on the charger so I dont run out the next day.

I really only bump charge if I'm going on travel or something where I know I'll be using my phone alot.

Upvote 0
Two things alone, in my experience with the DINC, significantly increase how long my battery lasts each day:

1. Getting the right custom Kernel.

2. Bump charging.

Everything else I've used and bought has either had no effect or ill effects. I have tried Juice Defender, Power Saver, App Killers, Task Killers, EVERYTHING that has been suggested here or at XDA I have tried at one time or another since April. Aside from the kernel and bump charging, none of them are effective for me.

Does it give me an extra 12 hours? No absolutely not. I take it off of bump charge at 8:00 sharp every morning. I usually go about 2.5-3 hours until I hit 90%. If I don't bump charge I go 10 minutes (at the most) before I hit 90%. I discharge at the same rate whether I bump charge or not after 90%. It makes the difference of my phone being below 30% at 9:00 at night or around 50% at 9:00 at night. There have been times that I have dropped into the low teens at that time without bump charging but it's rare for me.

Summary? Bump charging works, it's real. Is it REALLY necessary for everyone? Probably not. Will it work for everyone? Probably.

batteryx.jpg

Upvote 0
bump charging also will shorten the lifespan of your battery, so if 90% of 1300 isn't good enough, you need to get a bigger battery.

I think that's the point, 1300 isn't big enough for almost everyone here. Let's face it, who wouldn't like to get dumb phone battery life with a smartphone. However, HTC could (and should) have put at the very least a 1500 mAh in these phones. They didn't, and too many hours of our (DINC owners) lives have been spent solving the charging issue as a work around. This is my 1st experience with smarphones and my 1st experience with HTC. Love my smartphone, love Sense UI not sure about customer service or the thinking behind some of HTC's product development team regarding batteries.

I've bought the 2150 and also have two 1300's (one from my 1st Dinc that I broke) and only use my 1300 after a bump charge daily. May just called and said this issue was getting old then. ;)

Upvote 0
How do you clear your battery stats? I figure mine were cleared after a factory reset but is there another way to do this?

I am getting about 24 hours after bump charging and maybe 16 hours without the bump. Bump charging works!!
You need to charge to 100%, reboot into recovery, then clear the battery stats and reboot phone to normal function and then drain down to 0% basically so the file gets recalibrated.

Upvote 0
I turn my phones off and it fully charges FAST no bump charging needed phone on hit a green light I burmp charge. The meter doesnt drop as fat and I swear its like 6 more hours of standy because of it. My phone stay in standy for 4 days while in hosp and it was 56 percent when I found it. I do use a task killer though manually.

Upvote 0
Newb question....what do u guys mean when u say, "bump charge?"

Bump charging means that you do the following:

1. When you're finished recharging your battery, a green LED will show. Unplug the AC adapter and turn off your phone.
2. Re-plug the AC adapter into the phone, and the LED will recharge, yellow again.
3. Keep repeating 1 and 2 (hence, the bumping) until you don't charge anymore

Reactions: izzy35
Upvote 0
Bump charging means that you do the following:

1. When you're finished recharging your battery, a green LED will show. Unplug the AC adapter and turn off your phone.
2. Re-plug the AC adapter into the phone, and the LED will recharge, yellow again.
3. Keep repeating 1 and 2 (hence, the bumping) until you don't charge anymore

It isn't necessary to do all that. Once the phone charges to green, you can leave it plugged in, power it off, and it will turn orange. Then wait for it to turn green again while powered off, and you will be fully charged.

Or alternatively, charge from the outset with the phone off. That's what I do: power off before charging during sleep each night. When I wake up, it's green and I have a full charge.

The key thing to know is that the phone won't attain a full charge while it is on.

Reactions: eson126 and izzy35
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones