• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Casio C771 Self Service guide

Willster419

The Casio Smartphone Guru
Feb 25, 2012
New Hampshire
relhaxmodpack.com
*Version 0.5 Beta updated 6/5/15

Hello all,
I know I have been missing from the forms for months now. Long story short, college happened. I get a lot of pm's and Skype chats about help needed by people, and it's not that I have a problem with that, but I know people wait a long time to get the help they request. I have decided to try to make it easier for people with this guide, and I hope it works out for all who need it.

This guide should help with getting you on the right foot. It will work like a flow chart. Each link to the next section will work as replies that I will write. Because of that, if you reply on this thread, it will be moved to the questions/comments about this thread thread. However, you can write questions/queries about stuff about this guide here.

This will be forever a work in progress, and will always be visible, so if in private working with you, there is a new solution or a new problem, don't be surprised if it's on this guide because im sure others have had the problem too :)

***How to navigate this guide***
Each number bullet will be a link to another post on this form. Use it to navigate throughout the guide. When you click a link, the post you are looking for will be the post on the top of the screen. (unless it is the last post, in which case it will be the last one in the thread. At the bottom of each post, there will be a "back to main menu" link.

An so it begins List of possible problems as to why you are here:
1 "How do I root this thing, I want to remove all the bloatware/use root apps like titanium backup or link2sd."
2 "How can I increase the storage space of this phone?"
3 "HELP my phone is stuck in a bootloop!!!"
4 "How can I take this phone apart? I need to replace a part."
5 "I am not on the Verizon network/not activated on the Verizon network. How can I update?"
6 "I forgot my phone password/received a new commando phone with a password on it."
7 "How can I install the drivers on my Windows PC for this phone?"

OneDrive Link: http://1drv.ms/1i99x1I

Version History:
0.1 - Initial thread start
0.2 - Work on all sections of the guide
0.3 - Updated rooting, storage, updating and lockout sections of the thread. Added the installing drivers part of the thread.

Last edited:
-Before you can root, you need to enable ADB on your phone and allow non-play store installs. To do that, you need to navigate on your phone to settings->applications-check "allow unknown sources". Then, from that menu, tap development-> enable USB debugging. It is also recommended, but not required, that you keep screen on while charging.
-You also have to install drivers for the device onto your PC. See this thread for more information

There are two ways of rooting this phone, and two methods for each. Which do you want to do?

1 "I don't plan on messing with the system files, I just want to use root apps for backup, storage and bloatware purposes only. I want the quickest way possible with the least amount of work on my end"
2 "I don't plan on messing with the system files, I just want to use root apps for backup, storage and bloatware purposes only. However, I want to do the process manually from start to finish."
3 "I want to root the phone, and protect it from becoming bricked. I want it done for me, though."
4 "I want to root the phone, and protect it from becoming bricked. I want to do it from start to finish."

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are looking to replace parts, you can watch the videos on this thread that I made about how to open up the phone. From there, you can follow the guide until you find the part you need to replace, and replace it. Then if you need to, you can follow my other put together guide about re-assembling the phone.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rooting Top down with an auto script.
I don't blame you, you just want root the quickest way possible. It that case, you want to use this link to download "root top down.zip". From there you just need to extract and run the RUNME.bat file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rooting bottom up with an auto root method.
Nice choice! You'll be protecting your phone from anything you try to do on it! To root with this method, you need the following files from my OneDrive:
-The root tool itself (Commando->Self service guide tools->root bottom up.zip
-The GNM recovery (Commando->Images->recovery->GNM recovery.img)
-A Modded boot image of the correct "M" version of your phone. (Commando->Images->boot->mXXX modded boot.img)
You can either download the root bottom up.zip from Commando->Self service guide tools, or download the latest Casio Auto Root Tool Plus and select the rooting bottom up method. From there, follow the on screen instructions.

You can read more about this exploit here.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rooting bottom up with manual
You'll be protecting your phone from anything you try to do on it! To root with this method, you need the following files from my OneDrive:
-The tool itself (Commando->Self service guide tools->root bottom up manual.zip)
-The GNM recovery (Commando->Images->recovery->GNM recovery.img)
-A Modded boot image of the correct "M" version of your phone. (Commando->Images->boot->mXXX modded boot.img)
You can read more about how to run this exploit here.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For simple storage expansion you should download this app. It will let you move applications to your phone's sdcard.
The big plus for this is that is a simple and quick method for moving some of your applications (apps) to your sdcard and freeing some space.
Some drawbacks to this method are that you are unable to move ALL of your applications to your sdcard, and you can't move their data or cache files either.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In order to update this phone off the Verizon network, you need to eithor use the Casio Auto Root Tool Plus to update, or use the standalone updater. In order to use both, you will need the following:
-root access. This is required in order to update your phone. Don't have it?
-The stock recovery image for your current "M" version of your phone. The update script needs that recovery so it can update your phone's system and radio.
-The stock boot image for your current "M" version of your phone.
-Adb
-Drivers
You can download the standalone updater in Commando->Self service guide tools->update device.zip, or you can download the Casio Auto Root Tool Plus and navigate to the update option
You need to place the stock boot and recovery images into the stockimages folder, and rename them to "boot.img" and "recovery.img"

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well that must be a rough day. There are two simple ways of solving this problem. One is to try really hard to remember your password. JK if you're here you really don't know it.
-First if you are using the stock home screen you can unlock your phone by taping the "fogot password" button and entering your password to your google account. You may need internet for it.
-If your phone is connected to the internet some way, you can download an app from a PC to your phone called INSERT NAME HERE that will unlock your phone for you.
-If the above two are not options for you, there are still two ways to get your phone back. However, you will loose all data on your phone. You can try:
The Red Light Method
The "saved locked device" script method

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red Light Rescue Method
This method requires:
-version M110 and up.
-working power, volume down and camera buttons.
-(If looking to un-bootloop device) GNM Recovery
Procedure:
-Power on your phone.
-Wait untill a red light comes on when the phone is "Now Loading"
Press the power, volume down and camera buttons all at the same time and once.
Follow the on screen instructions.
If you have the stock recovery, it will wipe your phone, and you will have access to it. If you have custom recovery, it will boot into it.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are two ways to save the phone at the G'Zone state
*If you have the stock recovery and boot image there is no way to save the phone
1. If you have drivers and a modded boot image and recovery, you can plug in your phone and reboot it into recovery.
2. If you have a custom recovery you can try the Red Light Method
If your phone does not show up in adb and the red light not not flash then the phone is bricked beyond known repair.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In this type of bootloop, it means that the system is still there, just something is not right with it.
*If you have the stock boot image and recovery, there is no way to save this phone in this state.
Firstly, if you have adb on, plug it into your pc and type adb reboot recovery.
Second, you can try the Red Light Method

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In this case, the phone is not really "bricked" per say, it is more of without a home screen. To fix this, you can first try installing a home screen application onto it with via ADB, or over the internet.
-Via adb, you find an apk home screen, then install it using "adb install apkname.apk"
-Via the internet, you have to have your phone on WiFi or 3g, and have a computer connected to the internet. You then log in to Google play store. Find a home screen application compatible with your device. Then, tell it to download to your phone from the play store. Your phone should then show a download icon as your phone downloads and installs a home application.
If the above two do not work, try the same methods for the boot animation boot-loop.

Back to main thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones