The Crappy Side of Root

Last Updated:

1. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So ive realized something while going the whole root path.

My phone was working as well as "the eris works" as a phone before hand.

Rooting is great, the fact that you can customize a bunch of stuff and not having to be stuck with factory software.

Now my bigger views are as follows...

I started with the Droid Does rom which i love, except for its one major flaw with phone calls/proimity sensor.

So i switched to ErisLightningBolt. Its not as great as i thought droid does was, but it doesnt have too many bugs.

It seems like when going root, you have alot of bugs in all of the custom roms. Things that worked fine with a stock eris dont work on rooted roms.

My biggest problem/annoyance now is the fact that i recently setup SetCPU for OC. Its nice and fast when using the phone with my ~700mhz-240mhz profile. But when the phone is idle, and you turn it on and unlock it, it lags/halts for a few seconds and even LauncherPro tries to FC.

Does anyone have any input on that issue? Its really my only issue atm. Im thinking of turning of OC because its not worth the initial lag everytmie the phone turns on. Even though the Oc speed when using the phone is nice.

Or if anyone knows of a VERY simple rom, thats basically stock, with OC abilities.

Because i dont have any real purpose for rooting besides, Stability, speed and battery life. All i really use on the phone are 4-5 stock market apps and prefer launcherpro.

PS, i hate senseui

Advertisement
  2. Hercules

Hercules Well-Known Member

Give XTR 3.0.3. It is my favorite ROM and the phone does everything the stock Eris did only faster. No FC on anything and works fantastic with Launcer Pro. Plus you don't need overclock with this ROM.

3. emerica243

Any reason for the older 3x version instead of 4?

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you are using SetCPU, go into the Profiles section, enable it, add a profile, set if for screen off, and set it to max/min of 480/480. (I actually think that 245/245 is fine, as well as 480/245, but 480/480 should be snappy at wake up.) You should not have much/any lag at all.

5. emerica243

Tried that, still locks up for 2-5 seconds.

6. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Try 604/480 as your sleep profile.

7. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member

XTRSense has no lag with no bugs that I've ever seen and does not require OC but you can if you want it.

8. JKib

JKib Well-Known Member

Another vote for extrROM 3.0.3

extrROM 4 is still fairly new. At least Gmail sync doesn't work yet. Since you sd you want something that everything works, try extrROM 3.0.3

It's fast without OC. It can use JIT, but doesn't need it. It also has apps2SD, but again, it has plenty of room without it.

It's very stable & everything works!

9. mikey517

mikey517 Well-Known Member

I love xtrROM 3.03 (4. is still beta, so I'll wait). Crisp and snappy fast without OC (good for the CPU), and the phone dialer actually works like it should!! No FC's, excellent battery life and....did I say snappy with no lag?

Runs everything I want (wifi tethering, MLB At Bat 2010, NFL Mobile, etc).

I'm happy

10. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much any dev ROM is going to have more bugs than an HTC "factory" ROM; that's a given. There's a variety of reasons for that:

- The rom "cooks" neither have access to, nor understand the application code at the same level as the HTC developers
    - The rom "cooks" do not have the support of extensive & disciplined testing resources the same way that HTC/VZW do.

Not that the HTC "factory" ROMs are bug-free; they are not. But frankly, the total number of bugs are likely to be far lower in an HTC ROM than in a "dev" ROM.

I was going to suggest that you just run something like PlainJane T2, or even just overlay the July 2010 HTC OTA with "engtools3.zip" and the OC kernel - until I read that last line "i hate senseui".

Seems to me that you need to pick one or the other - you aren't going to get both.

eu1

11. D_Sweet

D_Sweet Member

XTRSENSE 3.1, JIT toggled off, stock Apps (Gmail & just a couple others) toggled on, is by far the best, most reliable & by far fastest ROM I have tried, and I consider myself a ROM Whore. I do OC to 710 but right out of the box this ROM hauls the mail.

12. jday

jday Member

XtrSense 4.0.5 is the release version and is available (replaced 4.0.4 BETA). I flashed the 4.0.5 over the BETA today (no wipe) and it is another very good ROM. Although I've only had it on my Eris for 1/2 a day it is fast and I have had no FCs. At this time, I have decided NOT to OC it since it runs fast without overclocking and I want to prolong battery as much as possible. But, just a note--I did use SetCPU to overclock the beta version and I had no problems with it running overclocked.

13. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

14. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

try xtrROM4.0.4 not xtrSENSE. my eris is so snappy with that and OC to 710Mhz and JIT off. My sleep policy is set to 410/245Mhz and I get no lag on wake.

xtrROM is in final beta and really the only thing that I've seen that doesn't work is auto-Gmail sync... but I don't use that anyways because it saves battery by not having it syncing all the time... oh and it has Flash 10.1 as well!

15. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

Being a total noob to rooting, xtrROM 3.0.3 was my first attempt at rooting, and I absolutely love it. I followed the instructions found in the Universal Eris Root for Dummies! thread. I had to wipe and flash the ROM a couple of times, but that was only because I was trying to rush and missing steps.

Once I finally installed xtrROM 3.0.3 successfully, I am totally satisfied with my phone. It is faster than 1.5 stock, 2.1 Leak 2, or Leak 3. Nothing has F/C'ed on me at all. I was able to remove all of the bloatware without a single issue.

I thought about installing xtrROM 4, but I'm averse to installing Beta software. Once it comes out of Beta, I will try it.

16. wesleypipesyo

wesleypipesyo Active Member

Try the xtrSENSE 4 or the evil eris. I have used both and neither were "major" buggy. They are pretty good.

Elphie28 likes this.
  17. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Are you using the widget that comes with setCPU? If so, this is causing your problem ... get rid of the widget.

thrawn86 and emerica243 like this.
  18. emerica243

That was it, thanks

19. Weudel

Weudel Well-Known Member

If you think the Stock Eris is as well as the phone can work, then you need to try KaosFroyo v30....... cuts out almost all of the lag...

20. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

I had no idea. I like seeing status/info about my devices, I am obsessed with widgets on my PC showing data use, power status, etc etc etc.

I've noticed my eris slowing down and freezing on unlock recently (even with higher speed sleep profiles) and only since removing my battery status widget and the setcpu widget has it sped up.

21. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Widgets are neat, but just keep in mind that it takes CPU cycles and battery power to constantly update a widget (some more than others).

22. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Mine was having the lag upon awake issue as well, and I removed the SetCPU widget... problem solved. I also moved all apps using widgets to SD card.

23. Joe Eris

Joe Eris Well-Known Member

xtr 3.0.3 is the best 2.1 rom i've ever tried