The cure for the Navigation shut off??Support

Last Updated:

1. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I traveled some 1400 miles over the last week or so. The Navigation worked perfect for the first 3/4 of those miles and then suddenly started the "shut off thing" about every 5 minutes.
    I tried:
    1) Turn phone off and back on. No help.
    2) Toggled Airplane mode. No help.
    3) Battery pull. BINGO! Fixed it.

Is this an Android or a Blackberry ;)

EDIT: I was in an area with full 3G and GPS service the whole time this was happening.

Advertisement
  2. tuftslax

tuftslax Well-Known Member

I have had a similar problem but it is pretty rare and I dont need to reset the phone usually. Usually just restarting maps is fine and doesnt cause a shut-off again but with that said I can imagine if I needed turn by turn directions in a city or some place similar having the restart navigation (or the phone in general) would be a pain.

At least you dont have to worry about the loooooooong bootup times of blackberrys

3. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Probably just my ignorance - what does a battery pull do that shutting it down does not? I know a battery pull is required when the phone is frozen and unresponsive, but...?

Memory should be cleared on a shut down. Cache is stored on the SD card so isn't affected one way or the other. What's gained with the battery pull?

4. deemedic

deemedic Active Member

:D LMAO, that was the recommended procedure from crackberry land for sure!!

5. karma2burn

karma2burn Well-Known Member

I just had this problem for the first time on Friday. I had been using it with zero problems since I got the phone in early august. I'm thinking that the most recent maps update might have something to do with it. I didn't even think to try pulling the battery. If it does it again I will give this a shot.

6. dangerboy56

dangerboy56 New Member

I took a road trip across half of the continental US and back using the navigator app for the whole trip. I found I generally had to reboot the phone about once a day, especially when I was in areas with poor cell coverage. Never had to pull the battery though. I was also running the music player or pandora while using navigation app. I also had some force closes with the pandora app when in areas of poor cell coverage.

One thing I did notice, was that the phone got pretty hot when running the app non-stop for long periods of time. This was using the OEM motorola phone charger.

7. labeledbass

labeledbass Well-Known Member

Do "they" even make a quick pull or meter"droid" for Android OS? :p

OP - this happened to me naving a quick 3 miles... reboot solved the problem, but this needs to be fixed. No car dock until it is...

8. deemedic

deemedic Active Member

This is my thought as well, I never had the problem until the maps update to be honest....:rolleyes:

9. deemedic

deemedic Active Member

yeah I have had this problem with or without the car dock I really don't think the car dock is the problem

10. cdtdelta

cdtdelta Active Member

It's a known issue with 2.1 that's fixed in the 2.2 update.

Sometimes what you can do is put your finger on the Nav screen and just move it a bit. That kicks you out of navigation but just push the Nav arrow button again and you should be ok.

However that has worked for me about 80% of the time.

11. deemedic

deemedic Active Member

So now I am left to ask again..does anyone know when the official 2.2 is coming out? I am not rooted, nor plan to be and I am not going to load a leaked update, from what I am reading some risk there. I know the original Droids got it in two parts last month.

12. Jasonk1971

Jasonk1971 Member

I've have that nav fail many ways, sometimes shuts off entirely, sometimes looks like it has shut off but that lady is still telling me where to go and sometimes just locks up altogether. And sometimes the screen times out but the app is still running, I hope that it is fixed with an update, its a real PITA when using it while on vacation

13. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Same thing started happening to me yesterday.. While in the navigation mode it would just crash to the home screen. But the nav would still be running in the notification bar but would reset when I selected it. I say it has something to do with the maps update, cause its been working perfect since day 1.

14. DERICK881

DERICK881 New Member

Navigator keeps dropping out. Have had this problem since i first started trying to use it. Sometimes the map will drop out but the voice still keeps droning on.
    I haven't tried any fixes yet. That is why I came here to see if others were having the problem. I just got the 2.2 update so I will see tomorrow if there is any improvement.