The death of a Droid

Last Updated:

1. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, when I first rooted and loaded up bugless beast, I was having audio issues. I figured it was a software glitch, and would just wait it out. The audio output was awful and made the music sound like it was coming out of blown speakers.

I have since done three bugless beast update and to my dismay, nothing fixed this issue.

Today, I decided to get proactive on the issue since I spend about an hour a day commuting and need my music to work so I dont explode from bordem.

I tried the 2.1 rom, no help, loaded up the bagel with smupdater, no help, and am now going to stock 2.0.1, this is my last ditch effort, but im now convinced it is a hardware issue.

I cant say with certainty that it had to do with the root and rom, but the problem literally started happening the second I booted up the rom and has not left since.

Thankfull I have insurance and will go get a new one at the verizon store tomorrow (I will wipe my phone clean and act ignorant :D) this will be my third droid :(

I guess I posted this as a word of caution and as an example of thing that can go wrong with your phone when you root it. so just be careful i guess...

Advertisement
  2. brettlewis

well this is odd. I did a hard reset. as hard as a reset can be, had to go through the set up screen and demos, and now its working :eek:

any thoughts? I must of done something wrong with the root, cause the roms weren't changing anything.

3. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

This is the audio crackling issue everyone had with 2.0

You get a crackle on you speakers when the volume is all the way up.

If you take it down one notch the crackle mostly disappears...or a hard reset back to 2.0.1 would fix the problem like you said :)

I at one point thought the bose sound system in my new altima had a blown speaker until i realized this :)

4. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

when you use SMUpdater to go back to stock, is that actually back to stock or is that still an altered (from original) ROM that shoals put out?

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I'm pretty sure it is a kernel issue causing the crackle, and since all the ROM's use an OC kernel based on 2.0 that is where the problem comes from.

6. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

You got it...Sorry I did not clarify in my previous post but this is what I was speaking of.

7. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

I know you got it working again, but just for reference. If you wipe it and get it back to an unrooted state and still had the problem it should be covered by warranty and you wouldn't need to pay the insurance deductible.

8. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

It isn't hardware related. CRPercodani and gonzoguy24 hit the nail on the head. Google never released the source code for 2.0.1, so consequently, every OC kernal (including the one used in the ROMs you've tried) was built on the 2.0 Kernal. Since 2.0.1 had the kernal patch that fixed the cracking issue 2.0 had, we are left with the options of either running stock clock or dealing with the audio crackle for now.

You can always try a ROM which doesn't OC your phone. Or you can just keep the volume turned down a little bit on the OC ROM you are/ were using. In any event, don't worry about your phone... nothing is broken.

9. brettlewis

yeah, the smupdater 2.0.1 didnt fix it, I went into the phone backup I made when I originally got 2.0.1, and that one fixed the problem. So, I pretty much hard reset my phone, lost everything that isnt stored on the magical cloud.

After that, I re-rooted with smupdater, and the problem came back, si it definitely a rom issue.

Are you suggesting that a root of 2.1 will possibly fix this problem as long as 2.1 is published?