the Droid - an Alternate Perspective?

Last Updated:

1. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm new here.

I was wondering if I was the only one to not be excited over the Google integration. Let's face it, I'm not crazy about the `cloud' in general. Also wondering if one can remove the swipe motion and make it more of a pushbutton.

I come from a Treo 700P. I had it almost since it came out because I couldn't find anything that matched it. After a while I tired of the instability and went looking for something with a bigger screen and more horsepower.

Everybody at work has a Crackberry, which I wouldn't touch for many reasons. I won't use any Apple device so no iPhone, plus I'm with Verizon.

I did a bit of research and decided the Droid was pretty much my only choice. In terms of screen and horsepower requirements, this blew it away. I really like this device... it's like a small glimpse of the future.. a palmtop of sorts.

The unit has not failed me, period. I'm always finding out something else it will do. I *love* G-Strings, the guitar tuner. I may forget my tuner but I probably won't forget my phone.

The Exchange client seems to work just fine, as does the POP client. All without Google intervention. In fact, I'm not sure there's any real reason to have any data stored with Google. Do we know what is being done with our data - both OS and add-on?

I found the reviews I looked at were quite accurate: the battery life could be improved and the pull out keyboard is a PITA. I like the onscreen keyboard in landscape mode only. Predictive is very accurate.

Who could argue with a fart application? I don't have one but the knowledge that I *could* is good enough for me.

Everybody who checks out the phone loves it. There will be some converts when update time comes. Even the iPhone folks like it.

Advertisement
  2. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

I too would like to know what our phone knows about us and what it reports back to Momma!

I know you can see what information google knows about you if you have a google account. But I don't. I use Google maps and Search, but I don't ever log in. If anyone knows, please pass the info along.