• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Droid comes out this week, what are your biggest pre-release concerns

Jon Nale

Android Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2009
So the Droid comes out Friday, and since I am a Verizon customer that is due for an upgrade, I couldn't be more excited.

There are already a bunch of reviews floating around on the web, and I have read a handful of them (to be exact, I have read 3).

I am just curious as to what your biggest concerns are at this point? I think I have 3 major concerns (maybe "major" isn't the correct word to use).

1.) Keyboard - I am the type of person that needs a physical keyboard. Most reviews at this point have said that they didn't really care for the keyboard at first, but then got used to it. Although this isn't necessarily bad news (afterall, they did get used to the keyboard) it makes me nervous about how the keyboard will work/feel.

2.) Lag when switching between home screens - This one isn't really a critical issue, but I can see this potentially getting annoying really quick. I have seen videos of what people are talking about, and it seems like when switching between your home screens, there is slight lag. It really isn't that bad, but it is definitely not as fast as the other parts of the software (the other parts are so fast!).

3.) Camera - Again, this one isn't really that critical because I am more interested in the phone part of this phone, but I am disappointed that early reviews of the camera are more negative than positive.

The one complaint I do not understand, and maybe this is because I have never owned an Android phone, is that the music player app sucks. Engadget specifically said they were really disappointed. The thing is, when they showed the music player, I don't see how it was really THAT different from the iPhone/iPod? First you select Artists, Albums, Playlists, etc., then you get a list of Artist, Albums, Playlists, and then you make your selection of a specific thing to listen to. How is this any different from the iPod/iPhone? Are they upset that it is a "list view"? I hate using the "album flip" view on my iPod Touch, it is a huge waste of time. I prefer list view.

In a more general sense, I'm most afraid of getting my hopes up and having them slowly chipped away, as was the case with the Hero. Everything about it seems golden and I was so excited about picking it up, but after release, day after day more bugs and annoying quirks started popping up. I still love how it looks, but all the problems are keeping me away. If it just had a bit more testing before release and a faster processor, it'd be spectacular.

But I'm afraid the same thing will happen with the Droid, now that I've set my sights more on it. All the early buzz is good to glowing and it seems to be an incredible device, but once the 6th rolls around and thousands of people have it, a ton of bugs will be what everyone's talking about and I'll be back to waiting for the next phone.

Specifically, the keyboard probably is one of my biggest concerns. I didn't really want a QWERTY keyboard, but since it's so thin regardless, I thought it wouldn't hurt to have it for longer e-mails and such. But if it turns out to be such a sub-par keyboard that's a pain to use, I'll feel a bit silly for not just waiting for a touchscreen only device.

Upvote 0
I'm concerned about the keyboard and how much I'll enjoy using Android as a platform.

If I can get a good on-screen keyboard (better keyboard looks like a nice upgrade..) my only concern if I dislike the physical keyboard will be how easy it is to accidentally slide the keyboard out if I don't mean to.

I've been using an iPhone for 2 years, but I'm ready for something new.. and this will be my first phone with a physical qwerty keyboard. I'm used to chiclet style keys without a whole lot of travel (apple keyboard), so I'm hoping it will feel good to me without a mobile frame of reference.

Upvote 0
Really?

I mean yeah, I am sure we all would like more space, but do we really need it?

Even if EVERY application you had was 5mb (which is probably not the case) you have room for 51 applications. I do not even think I have 51 applications on my desktop computer.

I actually do. I use Epocrates Essentials on my iPhone which can run several hundred megabytes. It's not out for the Droid yet...but they're saying by year's end--I'm just worried it's going to be horribly crippled by this limitation.

Upvote 0
I actually do. I use Epocrates Essentials on my iPhone which can run several hundred megabytes. It's not out for the Droid yet...but they're saying by year's end--I'm just worried it's going to be horribly crippled by this limitation.

Is there a way for an Android application to store application data on the SD card?

I don't mean that the app itself is on the SD card, but rather the application data is on the SD card.

Upvote 0
Is there a way for an Android application to store application data on the SD card?

I don't mean that the app itself is on the SD card, but rather the application data is on the SD card.

You can if you root the DROID which will be possible I'm sure. I have a G1 which is rooted and APPS2SD with a 8GB sd card and its very nice. I sure hope they find a way to root apps to the sd card casue I will consider it.. but I'm not sure yet if I will. But that is the only way I know of to get data, cache, or apps on the sd card; root.

which, btw, is addicting once you start! ;-)

Upvote 0

Yes, this is how the apps work. A small executable on the phone and any large support files (such as graphics) store on the SD card. What exactly stores on the SD card is up to the developer.

Upvote 0
I'm worried about getting mine Nov 6. I don't want to have to camp or drive to several stores.

Not worried about what it will be like when I get it. I had the G1 for a day and almost cried when I realized T-Mobile had such intensely awful service. Most of my life is on Google so I'm in it for Google Experience on Verizon. Anything beyond that is more than my current Razr can do XD

Upvote 0
I've been with Sprint Nextel for many years. Actually I was with them when they were just Nextel. This is silly but I'm having guilt about leaving them. I was planning to leave anyway before I found out about the Droid. I was planning to switch to AT&T for the iPhone but decided I liked the Droid better.

Other than that, for my circumstances I'm concerned about getting four phones and phone numbers switched over to new at a time when Verizon is going to be pretty busy. I'm not worried about getting the phone. I have one being held.

Upvote 0
I am most worried about people that review the phone without the knowledge of what exists in Android 2.0. I have read review after review after article after article that the Droid can't do this or do that. Then, to have an expert prove them wrong.

I think the latest I saw was AOTS talking about the limitations of no multi-touch or something like that. Then, BGR flat out shows them it is supported in Eclair 2.0 it is just that they developers have not programmed for it yet. They would have been accurate if they said it is possible, just not implemented in a release app.

The good news is VZW will sell millions of Android phones, not necessarily the Droid. Once there are millions of users on the best network, Developers are going to start to focus efforts on growth potential. Apple may have 100k apps, but how many are even worth using (think of Shaken Baby app).

My biggest concern is learning how to get the most our of the camera. There are no n00bie guides. A lot of people, including myself, are not technically advanced in open source. We rely on the expertise of the community to provide what we need/want.

Upvote 0
I guess I'm kinda retro here, but I do a lot of actual telephone calls on my current Voyager/Plantronics combo.

And I really like being able to initiate a call to either a contact or a spoken phone number over Bluetooth w/out handling the phone.

Doesn't look like that is going to be an option out of the box. Looks like you need to speak into the handset mic for voice commands, and then kick in the bluetooth connection after you're connected.

And I really wonder if you can answer an incoming call via earpiece.

But, lest I seem to harp on this one area, the rest of the phone appears to be the bee's knees. Been a while since I've had "the best", and I have a highly anticipated "nya nya" session coming up w/ my coworker on his less lustrous Pre.

And who knows what the aftermarket can do in terms of improving Bluetooth utility? Phone supports BT 2.1, so there may be a way...

C'mon Nov 6!!!

-les

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones