• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The DROID, likened to your PC/Mac and it's software

messenger13

Android Expert
Dec 8, 2009
Cleveland, OH
It seems like a lot of people create threads complaining about some specific thing that the DROID doesn't do. Or, how this stock app or that stock app sucks. Frankly, I think the DROID does a great job at a LOT of things. But mostly, I like the platform (both physical and OS-wise) of the DROID and how it allows us to customize it with third party apps to make it do what each of us needs it to do.

Take your PC or laptop ... or Mac. You didn't just buy it, take it home, plug it in and it did EVERYTHING you wanted it to do, did you? No, I didn't think so.

I don't like Internet Explorer (except for a few tasks), so I have 4 browsers on all of my machines. Each of them do certain things really well, so I have more than just one.

I hate Windows Media Player, so I use Media Player Classic for most of my media playing needs; but not all. And there are several other common ones out there as well.

For photo editing, I turn to Adobe's Photoshop. But there are a plethora of other softwares out there for editing photos. We all have a favorite.

And then there's CD and/or DVD burning and mp3 management. Probably about 4 thousand different ways to email, IM, or what-have-you. Do you use MS Office, Corel, iWork, Google Docs, or OpenOffice for creating documents, spreadsheets, or presentations?

So the DROID does a lot of things well. But not unlike your PC or MAC, it's going to need apps installed to do what you want it to do. It's up to you to find those apps. And this forum is a great place to turn to when you can't find the perfect app on your own.

Agree wholeheartedly, Joe.

This phone does a ton of things right, and the apps are getting better every day. At this point, you can pretty much find software to do just about anything you'd want on a PC or Mac because they're been around for so long and everybody and their mothers have one. Not so with phones. Not everybody has a smartphone, much less an Android phone, so obviously not everything under the sun is going to be available in an app, but I think we have a pretty damn good selection, and the phone itself is way better than that unmentionable media player with the fruit on it.

Upvote 0
Actually my laptop OS did everything I needed, since its linux and not windows, it came with a bunch of apps, your limiting yourself to thinking microsoft/apple.

And you'd be chopping off your nose to spite your face thinking ONLY Linux. ;)

I don't fall for the "Be All / End All" philosophies. I use whatever tool works the best for the task at hand. And for my smart phone, that happens to be the DROID. I just don't demand that it "DOES" everything perfectly right outta the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones