The Droid X breaks?Support

Last Updated:

1. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone had/have this issue? I was thinking about picking up one for my brother, but if the build quality is bad I'll just skip it.

Motorola Droid X Breaks

Advertisement
  2. BLK MAJK

BLK MAJK Well-Known Member

everytime I try to play the video, it bounces me to some video about stocks under $5.

3. tbert

tbert Well-Known Member

*Rolls eyes* Any number of things can go wrong with any design decision. This idiot just happened to find one defective button and quickly ties it to the iPhone. He clearly put more effort into his "clever" quip at the end than any actual reviewing.

If you want to be safe, you'll have to wait as more consumer reviews come in. The concensus so far is that tech reviewer actually prefer X's buttons to the Inc.'s since they're less prone to accidental presses.

Edit: This is the correct link http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/video/10813172/motorola-droid-x-breaks.html

4. Breakmyfootoff

Breakmyfootoff Active Member

Same here. The build quality on the X is top notch anyhow.

EDIT: Thanks for the correct link tbert. Having seen the vid now, thats the first I've heard of one of those buttons breaking and I've been following everything I can find about the X on about 6 different forums. Not to say that it cant become an issue, this is just the first I've heard of it. To me it seemed like the guy was an apple fan and was just trying to find ANYTHING wrong with it he possibly could.

5. mig991

mig991 Member

Their may be a million things wrong with this phone, although I haven't found ANY yet, but one thing it is, is solid. Reason I did not get the EVO was it felt 'cheap' in my hands. The X feels like I could throw it across the room and it would survive.

6. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

Wow that guy sounded harsh. Almost like he favors Iphone. I wouldn't worry about it at all. We have been using physical buttons since buttons were invented. Will one break YES. Everything will break eventually. IMO I do not think these buttons feel like flimsy plastic like he describe. If you want flimsy plastic try the Storm 1 buttons. We also don't know the history behind the phone if it was dropped, or something spilled on it or whatever. It look like he was mashing the buttons really hard. I don't do that I just press the button. Again I would not worry about it. If you have a problem with your button just do a warranty exchange Moto will cover that.

7. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Do NOT rely on TheStreet. They created a comparison battle before between the EVO 4G and the Droid X and it was the worst review that I have ever seen. They have as much credibility with Android devices as Apple Insider has.

8. jwthrush

jwthrush Well-Known Member

I'm kind of curious as to how this happened since those are not 4 separate buttons down there, but 2 rocker keys. Then again, it's a piece of technology, could be a billion things. *glares at computer*

9. xdroid

xdroid Well-Known Member

Mine aren't broken, how about everyone else?

10. Pavilion

Pavilion Well-Known Member

That video is so misleading. People (and media too) need to separate "manufacture defect" from "engineering/design problem".
    A broken button most likely to be that kind of manufacture defect that happens in one in million (I don't have data to back me up though...). iPhone 4 antennagate problem is definitely a design fault (Jobs said 0.55%; well, that translate into 16500 phones out of 3 million phones and that's quite a lot to me).
    Droid X broken button is not as widespreaded as the iPhone antennagate problem (it is the first time I hear this problem and my Droid X home button is working perfectly). People need to realize that it is impossible to be free of manufacture defect with the mass production these days (esp when people make mistakes too). So, if you are having a silly defect, just go get an exchange.

p.s. Like my Droid X, there is a black blurry spot on the screen. It is obvious to be a manufacture defect. Not a widespreaded epidermic. Exchange will be here by the first week of August.

11. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

My buttons feel fine. I wouldn't worry

12. kcs7272

kcs7272 Well-Known Member

That guy was a total butt pirate! It was either a defective unit or they broke it themselves. I have freaking gorilla hands and my buttons work great!

There are a few things I don't like about the Moto skin but it is growing on me. As far as build quality goes I do have a dead pixel and I am getting a replacement unit. Although this can happen to any screen.

In my opinion the overall build quality is AMAZING as well as the fit and finish being to notch. If my Evo or Pre were built like this I would have been in heaven!!!

13. hahaha what

hahaha what Well-Known Member

yeah, i would have preferred those capacitive keys instead of physical ones but whatever, these keys are still working fine for me. they do seem a bit loose though.

14. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, the keys are fine. I remember how people were complaining about the EVOs small power button and how far in was recessed, but I never saw a vid where it had actually failed. But if no one else is having a button issue with the X then maybe it's a non issue and they guy just got a bad phone.

Thanks

15. c4v3man

c4v3man Well-Known Member

My buttons work fine and my phone survived a 4-5 foot high fling from a garbage can lid into a wall and onto a concrete floor with no ill effects (not even a scratch amazingly). I'd rather pay $6 a month for insurance than put a case on my phone which may or may not help.

16. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Well-Known Member

I was worried about the physical buttons BEFORE I bought the phone. Now that I've had it since the 16th, I have no worries at all. They feel solid, and I've had no one issue. They work 100 percent.

And I've had no accidental presses like I did on my Droid. I was always hitting the search button by accident.