The Droid's Camera is Blinding

Last Updated:

1. dirtbikerac

dirtbikerac Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey,

I was at a party and was taking some pictures with my new Droid. The whole party was pretty dark and right before I take the picture, the Droid uses the flash like a VERY bright flashlight, so that you can see the image on the screen, before it goes dark, then flashes to take the picture.

All of the pictures turned out horrible, because the camera blinds all of the people, and the people gave horrible expressions. That initial flashlight part of the flash is really annoying to look at.

Is there anyway to change this? Maybe change the brightness of the LED flash on the back? Dim it down so ti doesn't blind your friends? Or turn it off all together?

I still like the flash, so that way you can see in the picture, just not the big bright light it casts.

Thanks!

p.s. try taking a picture of a friend or of yourself in a dark area, and you will see what I mean.

Advertisement
  2. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

december 11th is the answer :) thats upgrade day

3. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

Figured out a neat trick-piece of scotch tape only over the flash-it will not hurt the camera. It acts like a little flash diffuser and for close up shots works better than distant shots.

4. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

Still want a flashlight :(

Also, I think if you fully press the shutter button it will try to take a picture without using the flash to focus... can't remember for sure.

5. hounddoglgs

hounddoglgs Member

Holy crap, you aren't kidding. Just pointed mine at myself and triggered the led's, still seeing spots.

6. jsuh84

jsuh84 Member

Can you elaborate on this?

I am very disappointed in how BLINDING the flash is. As far as I know, you can't disable or change its intensity.

7. tommyboy707

tommyboy707 New Member

i love the cameral DUAL LED!! is a bit blinding tho. i only could take like 3 self pics then ahd to stop cuz i couldnt see...

does anyone know how to send picture messeges. my pics show an envelope(text icon) but with what looks to be like a red clock on the top right! can anyone help me and tell me what that means?

8. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

holy crap you're right.

9. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

My old LG Dare was the same way. Before the Dare, I had a Sony Ericsson phone w/ a Cyber-Shot 3.2 mp camera (best camera phone I ever had). It had the bright LED flash, but it flashed it gave an orange light that was very easy on the eyes (actually, I think it was to reduce red eye), and every picture came out great.

10. JonKyu

JonKyu Well-Known Member

Ergh... wow yeah that was bright...

11. seaniscool1

seaniscool1 New Member

in the camera, menu->settings->flashmode->off Is that what you wanted to do?

12. seaniscool1

seaniscool1 New Member

To send a picture select the picture you want to send in gallery->share->then select how you want to send it

13. juergen99

juergen99 Member

As I type this I am seeing two red dots .. :p

14. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Heh, this is like shouting in a crowd, "Don't look at the light!", then hearing a bunch of "Oww, my eyes!"

15. hansangb

hansangb Well-Known Member

Hmm, mine (camera, menu, settings, Flash Mode) is always set to OFF. I can't even toggle it. The option is grayed out (along with White Balance).

Not sure what I'm missing, but I can't seem to turn *on* the flash.

Figured it out. I had the screen mode for ACTION. Apparently, that disables the flash.

16. jsuh84

jsuh84 Member

Much appreciated. Thanks!!

17. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Agree. There needs to be a way to adjust the flash power. All of my photos of people in dark settings w/ flash on look like there is a bright bluish spotlight being beamed at their heads. Looks terrible.

18. hounddoglgs

hounddoglgs Member

There are led flashlight apps/widgets on the market now, believe at least one is free.

19. missladyr2010

missladyr2010 New Member

When I got my motorola droid phone a few months back. I took a self Pic. just to test out the camera not knowing the flash was on. so i took a pic with my arms at least 2ft back. The flash was so bright it hurted my eyes and and since then my vision has started to fail. this needs to be Fixed. the camera flash is very bright. SN: I always Had 20/20