The DROID's phone app ... NO landscape mode!

Last Updated:

1. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love using my DROID in the OEM CarDock. I have it setup in landscape mode, but I'm seriously thinking of reconsidering this. More-or-less, because I have to. :(

Every app seems to work great in landscape mode . . . all, except for one, that is. The phone app. What's up with that??? :confused: Go ahead, try it! Open up the phone app (displaying the dialpad), and turn the DROID on it's side ... nuthin'! Now open the hardware keyboard. :eek: Isn't that a hoot? :rolleyes: I would love to know how you're supposed to dial a phone when there isn't any dialpad. :D Sweet!

In my honest opinion, this is one of the biggest over-sights with the DROID ... and I have yet to hear anyone mention this issue on this forum, or any other forums.

NOTE:
    Scroll down to post # 16 for an update.

Advertisement
  2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I just popped mine into the desk charger...too funny! OK, it's not funny at all yet it is somehow amusing that A) no one has seemed to have noticed this and B) no one at Motorola (or Google, wherever) thought anyone would need to dial in landscape!
    I do use the voice dialer hf app when in the car so would never have noticed this little oversight.

3. square

square Well-Known Member

you use the number buttons on the physical keyboard.

4. messenger13

Yes, I know that you "can" do that. But wouldn't a single row of buttons on the screen be even more effective? There's certainly room for them to be quite large.

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Heh... I never think about these things until you post them. I wish there was time to develop everything this forum comes up with to improve the phone, it would be perfect.

By the way, did you ever get a GVoice invite?

6. square

square Well-Known Member

i guess. this isn't something that bothers me. i use the phone app in portrait mode.

7. JDW

JDW Well-Known Member

You're assuming people are actually using this as a phone.... ;)

8. tehshift

tehshift Member

Biggest oversights? I disagree with that one. It seems like they did think of it. You would more than likely already be using the keyboard if you open the phone app in landscape, and they had the forethought to make sure the numbers took priority over letters. Putting another row of number right above the row of numbers you already have would just be redundant.

9. JDW

JDW Well-Known Member

Agreed.

The REAL oversight is no Bluetooth voice dialing... WTF???

10. messenger13

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree ... though I don't think your argument(s) hold much water. You wouldn't have to open the hardware keyboard in landscape mode if there were buttons on the screen. Please note the premise of my original post was that this is extremely noticeable when using the CarDock. (Otherwise, just dial in portrait.) BIG numbers on the screen sure would be a lot safer than using the hardware keyboard's much smaller numbers.

And since when is redundancy a bad thing? :confused: I would prefer to think of it as having more options. And who doesn't like that?

11. square

square Well-Known Member

are you sure you are using the real car dock and not just the car home app (they are different). i just put it in the car dock and landscape dialing does work. you tap the screen where the number goes and up pops a number pad.

12. sublimnl

sublimnl Well-Known Member

I noticed this the day I got my car dock...it sucks. though if you setup favorites then that is a semi-workaround, but if you need to actually dial a number not in your contacts then yeah, you're SOL and have to undock the phone. lame

13. sublimnl

well, hell, i guess we stand corrected. it works.

14. square

square Well-Known Member

nevermind. haha

15. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Use Windows much? 23 ways to do the same damn thing.

16. messenger13

:eek: :eek: :eek: YIKES!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

But it's not all my fault... ;)

I removed the magnet out of my CarDock because I hate the CarDock app. But I see if you have the magnet IN the OEM CarDock, that tapping the screen does result in the soft keyboard coming up ... in NumPad mode.

*** UPDATE ***

The good news is since I started this thread, I found another app that allows me this functionality without the magnet (thus using the lame CarDock app) being in my OEM CarDock. The app is called "Dock Simulator". I can activate that app and I'll have landscape dialing functionality on screen. Woohoo!

17. messenger13

18. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for that. I hate that physical keyboard. The simulator will actually come in handy for me.

19. micp1480

micp1480 Well-Known Member

What I hate is looking at my screen sideways, when it's in the car docking to see my contacts. Is there an alternative program for contacts that has no issues?

MICP1480

20. sublimnl

There is my sweeterhome skin...ideal for use in the car

Picasa Mobile

21. square

square Well-Known Member

:confused:

again...are you using the real dock and using car mode initiated by the magnet? if so, contacts should rotate just fine. if you are just using the car home app, they will not.

22. PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam Member

What am I missing? I grabbed the app and can get my contacts in landscape, but I cannot figure out how to get the dial pad. How do I get the dial pad?

23. sublimnl

tap the area where you would expect the numbers to show up when you dial them (looks just like the are above the dial pad in portrait mode). that will bring up a text entry screen with a T9 pad.

24. rumdood

rumdood Active Member

I just don't like the fact that while in landscape/dock mode that the contact/phone info in the call is in portrait.

When I take a call with my phone in the dock it just looks sloppy to have the image of the person in portrait instead of landscape.

Minor thing, but bugs me.

25. DellsDontBounce

DellsDontBounce Member

I was using DockRunner, but it only simulated the HomeDock. Thanks for Dock Simulator - saves me from having to buy the "official" Droid car dock.