The e-mail application will only give notification for mails arriving in the Inbox

Last Updated:

1. Sanur

Sanur Member This Topic's Starter

Hi!

I have finally figured out why I don't always get a notification for new mails on my HTC Hero.

I have setup an Exchange account for the build in mail application that comes with the phone, and I want it to give me a notification when I receive a new e-mail.

This will however only happen if the mail ends up in the Inbox folder in my Exchange account.

I do not get any notification if I have a rule that moves the mail automatically to a sub folder in the Inbox.

I like to sort my mails using a folder for each sender and I use the rules in Outlook to do this automatically, but this prevents the notification feature in the HTC Hero mail application from working.

I can still refresh a folder in the phone mail program and download all received mails, but no notifications and I have to do this manually.

It seems to me that the Inbox folder is only folder to be updated automatically by the ActiveSync connection.

I have my Data Syncronization settings set to As Items Arrive.

So do any of you out there know how to get the mail program to download all new mails as they arrive and give a notification on the phone, not matter what folder the mail ends up in on the Echange server?

Advertisement
  2. thisnameistaken

thisnameistaken Well-Known Member

K-9 is pretty handy in this regard - you can set how each individual folder should be kept updated and yes you get notifications for any new unread messages. Maybe give it a try instead of your stock mail app.

3. Sanur

Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

4. Sanur

I sort of found a solution that works for me, although it is not perfect.

I changed all my Outlook rules to Client Only, so that all mails will arrive in the Inbox on the Exchange server, and not immediately be moved to a another folder.

This ensures that the mail program on the HTC Hero phone will notice the mail and give me a notification.

The mails will then be moved to their respective folders according to my rules when I open Outlook on my computer.

Sort of ok.