• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The easy way to root a Phoenix/Thrive

donavan01

May 4, 2011
This walk through assumes you are starting with a stock unaltered Pheonix/Thrive (Froyo 2.2.1) I have tested it on my Phoenix but it has not been tested on the Thrive so mileage may vary use at your own discretion. If you brick your phone its your fault not mine. After reading and searching I have found the easiest way to root the Phoenix, I am assuming it works the same with the Thrive. This rooting uses the Gingerbreak method which is pretty much a one button rooting solution. Any ways here is what you do.

1. First you will need to be able to load non-market APKs you have two options to do this. A) Update your phone to the latest version Froyo 2.2.2. B) Go to your dialer, type "3845#*505#[Phoenix]" or "3845#*506#[Thrive]" then scroll down to "Unknown Sources Test" and check the box (this one has not been confirmed by me so no promises)

2. Download the APK from the following link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1303829207 (I emailed the link to myself to make it so I didn't have to browse to it) Note* it i will yell about not knowing what to do with that kind of download but just ignore it and download it anyways

3. Use a file explore (I used ES file Explore) to search for the newly downloaded APK I'm sure someone out there knows exactly where it downloads to but I couldn't find it easily though I can tell you its on the SDcard.

4. Run the APK

5. Turn on USB Debug mode (Settings>Application>Development)

6. Go to your Apps and run Gingerbreak

7. Click the root button

8. Let the phone do its thing (it will reboot)

9. Reboot the phone manually to make sure the root took and you didn't end up with a temp root If all went well you have a fully rooted phone.

Here is the link to the original XDA site I recommend reading it over (at least the first post) so you understand what is going on. [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

If anyone notices an issue with any of the steps here please let me know and I will update them.

Reactions: niteridet

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones