• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps The emulator won't run application

I recently began learning how to develop an Android application, and I followed the Hello World tutorial at the Android Developer site (Hello, World | Android Developers).

I am using Eclipse and I have installed the Android Ad-on.

The problem occurs when I try to run the application in the Android Emulator. The emulator starts up nicely, but after I select MENU in order to get to the start screen, nothing happens. The Hello World application never appears on the emulator.
I have tried several tutorials on how to install the SDK and eclipse add-on, but this hasn't been any help.

I am using Windows 7 64bit

I recently began learning how to develop an Android application, and I followed the Hello World tutorial at the Android Developer site (Hello, World | Android Developers).

I am using Eclipse and I have installed the Android Ad-on.

The problem occurs when I try to run the application in the Android Emulator. The emulator starts up nicely, but after I select MENU in order to get to the start screen, nothing happens. The Hello World application never appears on the emulator.
I have tried several tutorials on how to install the SDK and eclipse add-on, but this hasn't been any help.

I am using Windows 7 64bit

Does your app appear in the app tray? If it doesn't you need to add the code to tell your phone to add it there. I can tell you if that's the case.

Also for the emulator to auto-run your app you need to set it as the default activity when you hit "run". you can check that is set in "run confiurations"

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Does your app appear in the app tray? If it doesn't you need to add the code to tell your phone to add it there. I can tell you if that's the case.

Also for the emulator to auto-run your app you need to set it as the default activity when you hit "run". you can check that is set in "run confiurations"

Hope that helps.

No. The app doesn't appear in the app tray. When I try to run the app, I right-click it in the package explorer (in eclipse), and then select Run As -> Android Application.

Upvote 0
I've got the same issue, running Windows 7 x64.

Reinstalled eclipse/adt plugin/android sdk a few times, the emulator seems to run fine other than not running the 'hello world' program.

Run configurations is all set right, no idea what else to check

I've gone through the following setup and programming instructions:
Installing the SDK | Android Developers
Hello, World | Android Developers

Upvote 0
Just got it working - no idea how.
Deleted and re-made the virtual device (no different to usual setup), and ran it straight from the Android SDK and AVD Manager.

From then (so far at least) running the application normally has worked, even if have to unlock the screen on the virtual device first.

Upvote 0
Just got it working - no idea how.
Deleted and re-made the virtual device (no different to usual setup), and ran it straight from the Android SDK and AVD Manager.

From then (so far at least) running the application normally has worked, even if have to unlock the screen on the virtual device first.

I have tried everything, including creating a new AVD.

If you make any changes in the application, how do you run the new version on the AVD?

Upvote 0
I have the same issue and have tried all suggested fixes (that I see here), I am running Windows Pro 7 x64 but Eclipse Helios x86. Everything is installed (I believe correctly), program builds but when run the emulator fires up fine and nothing happens from this point on.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but this is my problem and from what I can see this thread hasn't solved or provided a working solution for the problem, unless I missed it in that case could someone reiterate please.

Thank you, q

=======================

Update:

I found something that helps here, now I just have to figure out my force close issues.

Thanks anyway, q

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones