• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The End of the Nexus One

Could you explain more? Are you on a carrier or just use WiFi?

I have had my account on the website since before I got my N1. On the T-Mobile website after you register your number, you can choose your phone for a profile. You choose any old dumbphone (for me I chose my Nokia 6263 that I used to own). Add the $10 web plan. Next modify your APN settings in the N1 to "internet2.voicestream.com". You now have $10 web access for your N1 (including USB Tethering and Wifi Hotspot without carrier fees thanks to Froyo).

Google Voice allows you to send text messages for free and have text messages forwarded to your e-mail making texting completely free, though you will lose MMS (which can be resolved by sending or receiving through e-mail).

Upvote 0
I have had my account on the website since before I got my N1. On the T-Mobile website after you register your number, you can choose your phone for a profile. You choose any old dumbphone (for me I chose my Nokia 6263 that I used to own). Add the $10 web plan. Next modify your APN settings in the N1 to "internet2.voicestream.com". You now have $10 web access for your N1 (including USB Tethering and Wifi Hotspot without carrier fees thanks to Froyo).

Google Voice allows you to send text messages for free and have text messages forwarded to your e-mail making texting completely free, though you will lose MMS (which can be resolved by sending or receiving through e-mail).

I assume you mean a real account, not a prepaid phone on T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
Does nobody understand this concept?

Google isn't stopping the N1 because it was a failure (mostly due to their unusual buying experience) as the OP suggests. They didn't make this phone to compete as a "normal" phone.. They basically made it as a goal for manufacturers to shoot for; to basically say "Hey, here's a phone that has great hardware, and looks nice... we did this, and so can you". It was basically a statement to manufacturers. That being said, it still had a weird business model when compared to the norm... and they would have undoubtedly sold more phones through the normal subsidized through carrier situation.. that part nobody really understands.

Either way, it accomplished its goal... almost all new Android phones have 1gbz processors, for example.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones