The EVE of another problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. drowned.rat

drowned.rat Active Member This Topic's Starter

Well I must say....it will be hard to stay loyal to Android with all the issues I have been having with my Eve. My wife has an iPhone....and while I love Andrioid (when it works), it is far less reliable than her phone. I shouldn't have to find was to make the phone work properly (work arounds for email push, work arounds to avoid texting issues). It should just work.

My phone has been dragging for the last week during SMS messages. Huge delay in me typing and it actually showing up on the screen. In fact, half the time it is so delayed the backlighting of the keyboard turns off on me while I am in mid sentence.

Last night I rebooted the phone, and it froze on the Android screen during start up (flashbacks of Windows on a crappy computer). I pulled the battery and rebooted and it loaded fine.

TODAY...same problem...the "Android Screen of Death." This time tho, I have tried pulling the battery about 4 times and it still keeps hanging.

To make matters worse, the only full service Rogers Store is in Burnside Industrial Park (in Halifax) and its not exactly close to where I live (bastards)

Advertisement
  2. Torontonian

Torontonian Member

Strange...sounds like you got a lemon. I have never experienced any of those problems which you speak of.

3. Jay-Eff

Jay-Eff Well-Known Member

Neither am I.
    I've had my phone for a little bit then a month now. still on the original firmware (10c) and the phone work flawlessly.

Since I putted my screen timeoff to "never" I completely stopped getting the "awwww I don't want to wake up" screen problems.
    I press the power button to turn the screen off myself.

4. fuchsix

fuchsix Member

I've had my GW620 for about 1 month, and not experienced anything like that. Maybe you got a lemon device. However, there may be things you can do to prevent some of these issues...

1) How many apps are running? If you don't have ATK yet, you should download it. It's free in the app market. use it to monitor what's running on your device and shut down the ones you are not using. These devices have a finite amount of memory, and if it's getting filled up with apps running in the background it will slow your device down.

2) You mention that it is very slow in SMS. Have you added an app for the SMS interface? If so, perhaps that is the cause of your problem there. Try uninstalling it (if you have one) and use the default app.

3) Have you rooted your phone? If you put on a ROM or changed the boot screen that could be the source of your boot screen lock ups.

If none of this is what's going on, I'd be running it back to Rogers and get a replacement.

5. drowned.rat

I have never rooted it, and I don't use a SMS app. Maybe I do have a lemon. (I am still running the orginal firmware as well) As for apps.....I have never dl'd an app killer program (see my orogianl bitch about having to use work arounds to keep the phone working)

To add insult to injury - it seems that LG is one of the only companys that demand to attempt a repair on their phones. What this means is I had to have my phone mailed to Toronto for repair, with an estimated return time of 2-3 weeks! No replacement phone either (unless I want a crappy old style phone for a $50 return deposit). I was told by a Rogers rep that if I had any other make of phone I could have mailed it directly to them and they would have mailed me a replacement within a week. :mad:

6. patilj

patilj Member

The typing thing might be the auto-correct feature. I turned all that stuff off as it was slowing me down.

Mine works fine. Every now and then mine freezes if I don't reboot it at least once a week. That plus an automatic process killing app works great.

7. drowned.rat

Yea....I turn mine off usually at night. I REALLY don't want to use a damn app killer

UPDATE: get my phone back today (5 work days later). Supposedly they "fixed" it.

8. patilj

patilj Member

The app killer is not optional in my opinion, because Rogers bloats this phone big time. It's funny when I turn off and on my screen between usages of the phone because it gives me some stats on how many things were freed up in memory. This bloatware is quite persistent, and creeps back in at every opportunity like some kind of disease. A one time install of this requires no thinking after you've got it set up and should handle things fine. Curious to know how they fixed your phone. Let us know how it goes.

9. fuchsix

fuchsix Member

I rooted my phone and nuked all the crap-ware Rogers put on. My battery life went up by about 30% (my best guess). I still run the app killer, but I just use it to close the apps I have run myself.

Please do let us know how the "fix" works for you. I hope they did actually repair the issue.

10. drowned.rat

Well...it works great now. Just like it did when i first got it 2 months ago. Hopefully it stays that way.

I was told by the Rogers Center that sent it to the repair facility in Toronto that they had to gut all the innards. Guess they are trying to save on the cost of the screen and case. I did notice some small surface scratches where it looks like they pryed the screen off? but nothing worth mentioning really. Think they installed the new firmware as well because the predictive text issue with spacing is corrected.

So long and short of it.....it took them 5 business days to get the phone back to me (but that was 11 actual days curtesy of Easter)....it works fine now, and if it stays that way everything is peachy.

I will try an app killer just to see if there is a difference. What program do you recommend?

11. northyorkguy

northyorkguy Active Member

I use the app. called "advanced task killer", works really good, actually found it recommended on this forum as well. But what I don't understand is, when I turn my phone on, I'll find programs that are listed as being on, like for example, some games and some app. that I downloaded myself, which I don't know why they'll be running. Also when I shut down the programs, and check again, they'll be back on again, especially the apps. that the phone comes with which you can't un-install.

12. fuchsix

fuchsix Member

I also use Advanced Task Killer. It works great. I put a few apps on its ignore list, like gmail, so it leaves them running. Then I just dropped the widget on my main screen. 1 touch nuke to everything not on my ignore list. Best part is it's free in the Market.