• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The EVO is old news now

You guys do know that iPhone4 users can using fring to chat with EVO users over wifi or 3g right? Or is the Apple hate a bit too strong for you to see that?

Post wasn't on if Iphone users have an alternitive. Post was requarding that facetime only works over wifi.

Granted having seen facetime. I think it looked/sounded better than fring or qik. But I know both of them were on wifi.

I have yet to use qik or fring where both me and the other person are on wifi to have a fair comparison though.

Upvote 0
You guys do know that iPhone4 users can using fring to chat with EVO users over wifi or 3g right? Or is the Apple hate a bit too strong for you to see that?

Only thing I hate is that I can't talk to my sister for 5 minutes without her iphone dropping the call. And she hates that she has to get a credit every other month for her phone dropping 50% of the calls she makes or takes.

So yes, the hate is strong.

As for this ******ed thread, the phone will be old news when it's not the subject of comparison for EVERY new smart phone. Especially when it wins them. You'd have to be really insecure to call it old news because another NEWER phone is being talked about more. If that was the case, the EVO was old news a few weeks after it came out when the IP4 released.

Moving right along.

Reactions: EleventhHour2139
Upvote 0

Last time I checked (a few days ago) fring pulled skype video support fromthe iPhone app.

My comment was regarding facetime, anyways. Which someone mentioned it's better than the evo video chat, which it's not. Video chat on a cell phone is no good unless you can do it on the go, to multiple phones, so facetime is a flop.

And regarding the wifi restriction, if it was att that imposed this restriction, then why is it limited on all carriers globally then?

Upvote 0
Last time I checked (a few days ago) fring pulled skype video support fromthe iPhone app.

My comment was regarding facetime, anyways. Which someone mentioned it's better than the evo video chat, which it's not. Video chat on a cell phone is no good unless you can do it on the go, to multiple phones, so facetime is a flop.

And regarding the wifi restriction, if it was att that imposed this restriction, then why is it limited on all carriers globally then?

I guess the hate is pretty strong. Fring and FaceTime, options or no options, the iPhone could grant you 3 wishes and you still wouldn't be happy.

If you don't like FaceTime then use fring simple as that. I've used both on wifi and the FaceTime performance is lightyears ahead of fring at the moment

Upvote 0
I guess the hate is pretty strong. Fring and FaceTime, options or no options, the iPhone could grant you 3 wishes and you still wouldn't be happy.

If you don't like FaceTime then use fring simple as that. I've used both on wifi and the FaceTime performance is lightyears ahead of fring at the moment

There is no more skype video chat on fring. Lightyears ahead? No.. no portability makes facetime useless.

Would you want to give up your cell for a landline?

Upvote 0
There is no more skype video chat on fring. Lightyears ahead? No.. no portability makes facetime useless.

Would you want to give up your cell for a landline?

No skype? Lol the world is over, complain to fring about that. The point is vid chat is possible with other users via fring no matter how much you hate Steve Jobs.

FaceTime is lightyears ahead, it's performance is unmatched and it's only a first attempt. Next thing you'll tell me is that nokia has had vid chat for awhile, well guess what? Vid chat has always been shit, including fring/qik.

I'm sure wifi is only limited to your house. If you don't have wifi there's fring, but you hate options

Upvote 0
FaceTime is lightyears ahead, it's performance is unmatched and it's only a first attempt.

Strictly speaking, Apple's been refining videochats ever since OS X's iChat became iChat AV - and that was six years ago. They support encryption, high frame rates and H.264 video as opposed to H.263 and are doing this over the AIM OSCAR protocol.

My only question is why the iP4 is crippled out of the box so as to not connect to iChat desktops the world over.

As to whether this is a trend - it is. According to Boy Genius Reports Facetime will be extending to other devices - rather than simply using iChat there as well.

And the new scheme? To use your Apple ID - read: MobileMe email address - as your contact name. Same as iChat - except iChat also accepts AIM IDs and can vid with AIM users.

The point of videoconferencing is the same point as a phone - coverage and accessibility to others using different services.

FaceTime, Fring-to-Fring and Qik are instant fails, regardless of quality, because they each support a vendor's naked attempt at lock-in rather than a platform independent concept for extending and enhancing the way we communicate long distance.

iChat and even more so Skype have shown that this independence is possible, but the phone makers are trying to cash in on most people's unawareness of this technology.

So, yes, from a certain point of view, Facetime is a first attempt by Apple - but it's not a first attempt at videoconferencing, it's their 1st for lock-in in this area. Yet another example of Apple retreating from the principles of openness that they once embraced.

Upvote 0
Strictly speaking, Apple's been refining videochats ever since OS X's iChat became iChat AV - and that was six years ago. They support encryption, high frame rates and H.264 video as opposed to H.263 and are doing this over the AIM OSCAR protocol.

My only question is why the iP4 is crippled out of the box so as to not connect to iChat desktops the world over.

As to whether this is a trend - it is. According to Boy Genius Reports Facetime will be extending to other devices - rather than simply using iChat there as well.

And the new scheme? To use your Apple ID - read: MobileMe email address - as your contact name. Same as iChat - except iChat also accepts AIM IDs and can vid with AIM users.

The point of videoconferencing is the same point as a phone - coverage and accessibility to others using different services.

FaceTime, Fring-to-Fring and Qik are instant fails, regardless of quality, because they each support a vendor's naked attempt at lock-in rather than a platform independent concept for extending and enhancing the way we communicate long distance.

iChat and even more so Skype have shown that this independence is possible, but the phone makers are trying to cash in on most people's unawareness of this technology.

So, yes, from a certain point of view, Facetime is a first attempt by Apple - but it's not a first attempt at videoconferencing, it's their 1st for lock-in in this area. Yet another example of Apple retreating from the principles of openness that they once embraced.

Spot on.

Upvote 0
The EVO is only one of few phones that has a front facing camera. I dunno, maybe its just me, but I think video chat is going to take off.

Video Chat probably will take off, but not any time soon. It's the classic Catch-22 issue - video chat cannot become mainstream until there are a lot of phones in people's hand that have a FFC. I think the EVO and iP4 are perhaps the only two available right now. AT&T won't let you video chat while on 3g, so that makes the whole thing pointless on that phone IMHO.

So video chat will become popular. But I suspect it will be so far in the future (12-24 months at a minimum) that many of us will already be on our next phone by then.

Just my 2 cents (and why getting a phone without a FFC isn't a deal killer for me this time around).

Upvote 0
Video Chat probably will take off, but not any time soon. It's the classic Catch-22 issue - video chat cannot become mainstream until there are a lot of phones in people's hand that have a FFC.

Have you videochatted from a desktop or laptop lately, using something specifically designed for it, such as iChat or Skype (in other words, not a web service)?

Video chat is a mainstay of business these days.

And Skype is most popular because you can audiochat - and if bandwidth is sufficient - videochat with cohorts overseas - for free.

For a vast section of the tech sector, at least, videochat is already mainstream. If Sprint isn't communicating with HTC via Skype on a regular basis, I'm a monkey's uncle.

In my opinion, they've gotten you and others thinking strictly in terms of cell phones - and they're doing this to people because they're looking for profit motives and business models. I have no doubt that they're being penny wise and pound foolish.

Having cell phones that can only videochat to other cell phones is EXACTLY like having a cell phone that cannot call a land line.

Having cell phones that can only videochat like-manufactured cell phones is simply insane and weak.

(TapTapTap... hello? is this thing on? i dunno... a number of us keep repeating this point...)

Upvote 0
AT&T won't let you video chat while on 3g, so that makes the whole thing pointless on that phone IMHO.

You can video chat on the iPhone4 over 3g using fring.

Honestly I think cell phone carriers don't want video chat to be mainstream until they can figure out how to charge you more for it.

I'm thinking tiered data pricing similar to ATT is imminent. Lock into unlimited data while you still can.

Upvote 0
You can video chat on the iPhone4 over 3g using fring.

Honestly I think cell phone carriers don't want video chat to be mainstream until they can figure out how to charge you more for it.

I'm thinking tiered data pricing similar to ATT is imminent. Lock into unlimited data while you still can.

But fring isn't facetime lol... And that's what some people are arguing. Not to mention ATT's shotty 3G network, which makes it a major minus for anything that requires decent wireless bandwidth, such as video chat.

Upvote 0
But fring isn't facetime lol... And that's what some people are arguing. Not to mention ATT's shotty 3G network, which makes it a major minus for anything that requires decent wireless bandwidth, such as video chat.

Ah I see, 3rd party apps are only worthwhile if they're not on the iPhone. I get how your fanboyism works now.

Fring allows video chat over 3G across all carriers on any phone with a front facing camera, Deal with it or go cry to Fring on how much you hate the iPhone for no reason.

Upvote 0
Ah I see, 3rd party apps are only worthwhile if they're not on the iPhone. I get how your fanboyism works now.

Fring allows video chat over 3G across all carriers on any phone with a front facing camera, Deal with it or go cry to Fring on how much you hate the iPhone for no reason.

Huh? Dude are you slow in the brain or something? What does facetime (which is what people are arguing about) have ANYTHING to do with a 3rd party app?
stupid.gif

EDIT: And if you love iPhone so much, why are you here other than to start trouble like all the other Apple fanboi's? Do you really feel that insecure with your purchase you have to make useless posts on an Android forum to make you feel better or something?

Upvote 0
Huh? Dude are you slow in the brain or something? What does facetime (which is what people are arguing about) have ANYTHING to do with a 3rd party app?
stupid.gif

EDIT: And if you love iPhone so much, why are you here other than to start trouble like all the other Apple fanboi's? Do you really feel that insecure with your purchase you have to make useless posts on an Android forum to make you feel better or something?

Funny

Facetime is a beautiful thing(finally had the opportunity to use it on a friends iphone4)

Pretty soon they will allow it on 3g, i think....EVENTUALLY but not before at &t charges their customers a ridiculous price for it....

and by 2012...i think video chat will be the new thing...everybody will be doing it and you will be able to do conference calling via the Evo and other evo like devices 2 years from now

But back on the original topic, the evo is not old news but i haven't really seem as many sites dedicated to the EVO or any HTC device(aside from the nexus one and incredible)

droidlife.com is a great site but it mainly focuses on all the droid phones

It's ashame that the Evo isn't getting as much attention as it deserves but then again from the threads i skimmed through here...the complaints have leveled off and not much is happening with the device until Froyo hits.

I know the big news for the X is the fact is finally rooted...i am sure once froyo hits, blogs will be going crazy over the Evo yet again

Upvote 0
I know the big news for the X is the fact is finally rooted...i am sure once froyo hits, blogs will be going crazy over the Evo yet again

Sadly, there's no ability to change roms with that new rooting yet.

As for videochat catching on in a few years.

Yes. Absolutely correct.

Videochat will catch on in a few years so long as everyone keeps giving it the limited definition of a phone-to-phone experience.

Meanwhile, for millions worldwide, videochat caught on years ago.

See also:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/129967-skype-begins-get-clue.html

Facetime to Facetime, Fring to Fring, Qik to Qik are failures right out of the gate.

It's just that simple.

Vendors asking you to believe that this is new or unique or represents some quality breakthrough is simply more tasty Kool Aide.

Feel free to review a few more posts back in this very thread.

For Kool Aide, FaceTime is indeed a beautiful thing.

For actually achieving some sort of communication worldwide, phone to phone or phone to desktop - FaceTime is just another ugly lock-in.

~~~~~~

PS -

Frankly - this is just getting boring.

I'm quitting this thread.

Yes - FaceTime is just so golly gee wonderful!

Videochat is a new thing - whee!

It will catch on in a few years - wow, it's so on the edge!

It will be all thanks to you true believers out there who think you have something new to offer on the subject.

Buh buye, now!

Upvote 0
Sadly, there's no ability to change roms with that new rooting yet.

As for videochat catching on in a few years.

Yes. Absolutely correct.

Videochat will catch on in a few years so long as everyone keeps giving it the limited definition of a phone-to-phone experience.

Meanwhile, for millions worldwide, videochat caught on years ago.

See also:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/129967-skype-begins-get-clue.html

Facetime to Facetime, Fring to Fring, Qik to Qik are failures right out of the gate.

It's just that simple.

Vendors asking you to believe that this is new or unique or represents some quality breakthrough is simply more tasty Kool Aide.

Feel free to review a few more posts back in this very thread.

For Kool Aide, FaceTime is indeed a beautiful thing.

For actually achieving some sort of communication worldwide, phone to phone or phone to desktop - FaceTime is just another ugly lock-in.
I understand that the changing the roms has yet to happen. That isn't what i was saying. The fact that it has been rooted in a week or a little less then a week is news for us X owners and i am sure eventually someone will eventually figure out how to do all that stuff

I will not be rooting...Even if i still had my Evo, I would not root....The only time i rooted was to get 2.1 on my Eris and Hero devices so the changing of the roms is of no importance to me

about the Facetime to facetime, fring to fring argument...the point i was making was not that it is the greatest thing ever. It's just the way it is integrated into the phone was very refreshing to use.

Personally, i hope that the carriers/vendors carry on with the "locked in" approach.....It allows evolution

Yes add more functionality with the computers and other devices but i feel like within 5 years, it will be amazing that I can videocall an iphone user from whatever Droid device i have then with a ffc or even a landline.

Worldwide, videochat has caught on yet for many here,myself included, this is new anad unknown territory.

But this is just my UNBIASED 2cents lol

Upvote 0
I don't think it's old news....my boss at work said he's been looking to get "that cool phone you have" ever since he first saw me with it (got it on release day) but says every time he has gone to the local Sprint stores it has been sold out. He then said they recently told him they should start to have it in stock more often starting next week...so he will soon be needing a crash course in how to use it lol

Upvote 0
I find this very funny. You make it sound like the DX is SO MUCH BIGGER than the EVO. While it is taller, it is also thinner width wise and thinner depth (thickness) wise. But in reality, the two phones are very similar in size.

I realize a lot of people keep saying the EVO and DX are so different looking to and how the DX is so much worse looking. It's a personal thing obviously, but the two look very similar to me. Sure the DX has hard buttons instead of touch buttons and the EVO has slightly rounded edges. But again, you make it sound like one is totally different from the other.

Thanks for the laugh!

Similiar specs yeah. But In my not so humble opinion the Droid X looks like a turd. :eek:

Upvote 0
I understand that the changing the roms has yet to happen. That isn't what i was saying. The fact that it has been rooted in a week or a little less then a week is news for us X owners and i am sure eventually someone will eventually figure out how to do all that stuff

I will not be rooting...Even if i still had my Evo, I would not root....The only time i rooted was to get 2.1 on my Eris and Hero devices so the changing of the roms is of no importance to me

about the Facetime to facetime, fring to fring argument...the point i was making was not that it is the greatest thing ever. It's just the way it is integrated into the phone was very refreshing to use.

Personally, i hope that the carriers/vendors carry on with the "locked in" approach.....It allows evolution

Yes add more functionality with the computers and other devices but i feel like within 5 years, it will be amazing that I can videocall an iphone user from whatever Droid device i have then with a ffc or even a landline.

Worldwide, videochat has caught on yet for many here,myself included, this is new anad unknown territory.

But this is just my UNBIASED 2cents lol

Nice new AVATAR! Smokin!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones