• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Fix everything" thread for the Virgin Mobile HTC EVO

Yes, that's correct.

The all-in-one zip files contain the current version of a custom recovery (4EXT or TWRP2), the JBear 1.50.5050 hboot and all the current VM firmware, which should bring your firmware level (baseband version) to 1.09.00.0706.

ramjet73

If I already have 4EXT installed, and I took the OTA update from VM in early January, does the zip only give me 1.50 HBOOT? Or is there anything different about the radios in the zip file compared to my radios. If there is a difference, is it a lateral difference, or is one better than the other?

What's the best thread to follow if all I want is the 1.50 HBOOT?

Upvote 0
If I already have 4EXT installed, and I took the OTA update from VM in early January, does the zip only give me 1.50 HBOOT? Or is there anything different about the radios in the zip file compared to my radios. If there is a difference, is it a lateral difference, or is one better than the other?

What's the best thread to follow if all I want is the 1.50 HBOOT?

If all you want is hboot 1.5 you can get it here http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/648902-radios-hboot-firmware-all-downloads.html

Unless you are talking about the jpbear hboot, then I think ramjet73 has a link to that in a post on xda. I'll let him post it cause I don't have time to find it right now.

Upvote 0
If all you want is hboot 1.5 you can get it here http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/648902-radios-hboot-firmware-all-downloads.html

Unless you are talking about the jpbear hboot, then I think ramjet73 has a link to that in a post on xda. I'll let him post it cause I don't have time to find it right now.

I want the jBear hboot 1.50.5050 mentioned in the OP. But more importantly, I want someone to tell me about the updates. Do I already have those updates, do those updates differ in anyway from the ones I got OTA? And is there anything better offered by going the route of the OP instead of keeping what I have.

I'm one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" types. Since I am already running 4EXT and I already have an OTA from VM that seems to be the latest and greatest, I'd rather avoid flashing stuff that I don't need to.

Upvote 0
I want the jBear hboot 1.50.5050 mentioned in the OP. But more importantly, I want someone to tell me about the updates. Do I already have those updates, do those updates differ in anyway from the ones I got OTA? And is there anything better offered by going the route of the OP instead of keeping what I have.

I'm one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" types. Since I am already running 4EXT and I already have an OTA from VM that seems to be the latest and greatest, I'd rather avoid flashing stuff that I don't need to.
Since you have 4EXT and the latest firmware there's no need to flash them again and you can get just the hboot from here.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Since you have 4EXT and the latest firmware there's no need to flash them again and you can get just the hboot from here.

ramjet73

Thanks for the link. I realized that I've already downloaded those and asked you to post the md5 sums for those :eek:
I can't keep track of everything lol.
I didn't see a 1.50 jbear for ICS, just GB. Does such a creature exist?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. I realized that I've already downloaded those and asked you to post the md5 sums for those :eek:
I can't keep track of everything lol.
I didn't see a 1.50 jbear for ICS, just GB. Does such a creature exist?

1.5 is just a gingerbread hboot. Ics is 1.58 or 1.57 for the evo v.
Jpbear 1.50.50.50 is a patched hboot built from 1.50.00.00. According to what I've heard though, the patched hboot is compatible with most any rom, gb, ics and jb.
I'm sure ramjet73 can explain this in far more detail than I can. :)

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
1.5 is just a gingerbread hboot. Ics is 1.58 or 1.57 for the evo v.
Jpbear 1.50.50.50 is a patched hboot built from 1.50.00.00. According to what I've heard though, the patched hboot is compatible with most any rom, gb, ics and jb.
I'm sure ramjet73 can explain this in far more detail than I can. :)
That's correct.

The 1.50 hboot is from the latest Sprint GB build (2.17.651.5) and is the closest to the ICS stock bootloaders (1.57 and 1.58) that will flash and boot the GB and AOSP based ROM's. It doesn't work with the ICS stock ROM's, Cool ICS and Viper3D at r284 and below.

As brian706 said the JBear 1.50.5050 version is patched by unlimited.io to support the extended fastboot commands like "flash" and "boot" so you don't need to unlock the bootloader to run them.

ramjet73

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
That's correct.

The 1.50 hboot is from the latest Sprint GB build (2.17.651.5) and is the closest to the ICS stock bootloaders (1.57 and 1.58) that will flash and boot the GB and AOSP based ROM's. It doesn't work with the ICS stock ROM's, Cool ICS and Viper3D at r284 and below.

As brian706 said the JBear 1.50.5050 version is patched by unlimited.io to support the extended fastboot commands like "flash" and "boot" so you don't need to unlock the bootloader to run them.

ramjet73

When you lump the ROMs together as "ICS stock ROM's" are you referring to Midnight (sense), Harmonia, Mobster, Unlocked Potential, JMZ...etc?

So if I want a set-it-and-forget-it HBOOT that can boot everything, am I SOL, or is that what ENG 1.04 is used for?

Upvote 0
When you lump the ROMs together as "ICS stock ROM's" are you referring to Midnight (sense), Harmonia, Mobster, Unlocked Potential, JMZ...etc?

So if I want a set-it-and-forget-it HBOOT that can boot everything, am I SOL, or is that what ENG 1.04 is used for?
ICS stock ROM's are the ones that ship with the Evo 3D/V, and repackaged versions like jmz's stock ROM's, and will only boot with 1.57/1.58 hboots or the JBear equivalents.

There is no universal hboot that will boot all ROM's but the JBear 1.50.5050 and other versions below 1.57, including ENG 1.04, will boot pretty much everything except the stock ROM's since most developers have modified their custom ROM's to work with those hboots.

ramjet73

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
ICS stock ROM's are the ones that ship with the Evo 3D/V, and repackaged versions like jmz's stock ROM's, and will only boot with 1.57/1.58 hboots or the JBear equivalents.

There is no universal hboot that will boot all ROM's but the JBear 1.50.5050 and other versions below 1.57, including ENG 1.04, will boot pretty much everything except the stock ROM's since most developers have modified their custom ROM's to work with those hboots.

ramjet73

I didn't see you single out Mobster Rom HD. Can that run on 1.50 as well as 1.57? That's probably my most important thing since I've designated Mobster HD as my daily driver. I would not want to flash a new HBOOT everytime I decided that I needed to go back to it.

EDIT:

When flashing an HBOOT, is the juopunut bear method easier? It seems like there's no need to swap to the second SD card during the process.

To flash the JuopunutBear HBOOTs:
  1. Put your phone in fastboot mode
  2. Type the following cmds into cmd prompt (windows) or terminal (linux):
    • fastboot erase cache
    • fastboot oem rebootRUU
    • fastboot flash zip jb_hboot.zip
    • fastboot reboot

Upvote 0
I didn't see you single out Mobster Rom HD. Can that run on 1.50 as well as 1.57? That's probably my most important thing since I've designated Mobster HD as my daily driver. I would not want to flash a new HBOOT everytime I decided that I needed to go back to it.

EDIT:

When flashing an HBOOT, is the juopunut bear method easier? It seems like there's no need to swap to the second SD card during the process.
The Mobster ROM's should flash and boot fine with the JBear 1.50.5050 hboot if they work with the ENG 1.04 version. I haven't used them since I have the Evo 3D.

I prefer the fastboot method and have it included as an option in my instructions for flashing a bootloader when S-OFF.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
The Mobster ROM's should flash and boot fine with the JBear 1.50.5050 hboot if they work with the ENG 1.04 version. I haven't used them since I have the Evo 3D.

I prefer the fastboot method and have it included as an option in my instructions for flashing a bootloader when S-OFF.

ramjet73

This worked flawlessly for me, I am now on JBear 1.50. :D Anyone else wanting to do this needs to make sure you're in the c:\SDK-Tools folder in cmd prompt before typing those commands.

Also, can you confirm that anytime I see anyone say "turn your evo v into an evo 3d", do I sufficiently fulfill that requirement now?

Upvote 0
Running this I got a "failed repartition" error and it closed on me. I checked the crc checksum and my file is good. I am S-OFF running 1.04 ENG. The only reason I ran this is because I wasn't sure I was on the latest Sprint firmware. I don't know where to check that firmware level.

I have been running Mob's hd-lite rom and more recently G60's CM10. I'm probably good to go into CM10.1 as-is but wanted to tick the box on the firmware revision beforehand. Any suggestions short of backing up the SD card and repartitioning? Running 4EXT atm. Will probably use the "wipe all partitions except sdcard" and try installing "Wild for the Night" which is where I am trying to get to.... just don't like getting that partition error, may come back to bite later. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Running this I got a "failed repartition" error and it closed on me. I checked the crc checksum and my file is good. I am S-OFF running 1.04 ENG.
Are you flashing it in recovery or from the bootloader? The file needs to be renamed to PG86IMG.zip and flashed with the bootloader.

I've never seen that message before but it sounds like more a recovery rather than bootloader error.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Thanks for this,

Had an issue on the first attempt. Broke out my 2gb never used SD card that came with my OG Triumph, renamed the file and moved it to the SD Card and checked the MD5 via Terminal after the transfer. Put the card in and booted into the Bootloader. Said yes when asked to update but then a few seconds later received a message that the update had failed and to hit the power button to reboot, Something about a partition, think it was on number 5, probably should have written it down in hindsight but anyways followed the rest of the process and after rebooting pulled the battery on the HTC logo screen swapped out the SD card and again booted into the bootloader. Noticed I was now on HBOOT 1.50 as apposed to the previous 1.04 I was on beforehand but the radio had been unchanged. Selected recovery, wiped the caches and rebooted without issue. Everything worked fine after so I decided to give it another go so powered off and again put back in the 2gb SD card and booted into the bootloader, said yes to the update and everything went as expected from there on. Not sure what had gotten flubed during the first attempt but all was good in da hood on the second go around using the same card with the same file. Anyhow just figured I would share in case anyone else has the same experience.

Reactions: Prinny
Upvote 0
Is there a way to check to see if I already have all the things that this zip would provide? I am a late comer to this phone, so I was able to get the OTA in January that fixed all the radio crap. I tend to ignore all threads that have anything to do with turning your EvoV into an Evo3d...as I figured most of that applies to the people who bought the phone in 2012. Since this thread is relatively recent, I wonder if there's anything that I may not have in order.

I am on Jbear 1.50 Hboot and this is the info from my settings:

Baseband Version: 1.09.00.0706
Build Number: 2.89.651.2 CL409645 release-keys
PRI Version: 1.53_144
PRL Version: 61009

Based on this, do I meet the "joe_blow criteria"?

Upvote 0
I am on Jbear 1.50 Hboot and this is the info from my settings:
You already have all the stuff that joe_blow's all-in-one file includes.

Starting with stock or flashing the RUU, then taking the OTA, HTC unlocking and getting JBear S-OFF will get you everything included in the all-in-one file except a custom recovery and alternate hboot to Jbear 1.57.5757 if you need one.

ramjet73

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0

Starting with stock or flashing the RUU, then taking the OTA, HTC unlocking and getting JBear S-OFF will get you everything included in the all-in-one file except a custom recovery and alternate hboot to Jbear 1.57.5757 if you need one.

ramjet73

OK, thanks!
Moving forward, I'll ignore any requirements that mention joe_blow or Leslie Ann

Upvote 0
Wanted to leave a report of a (potential) error. I have all the requirements and was able to completely flash the PG86IMG.zip, HOWEVER on the first try bootloader successfully flashed [1] ADSP, then skipped to [5] SBL1 and failed with a "Fail-PU" error. Tried to google that but didn't come up with much. I think I've seen this once before while trying to flash a PG86IMG.zip, a second try always works (as did for this PG86IMG.zip). Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly causes this error and what it means? TIA!

Upvote 0
Wanted to leave a report of a (potential) error. I have all the requirements and was able to completely flash the PG86IMG.zip, HOWEVER on the first try bootloader successfully flashed [1] ADSP, then skipped to [5] SBL1 and failed with a "Fail-PU" error. Tried to google that but didn't come up with much. I think I've seen this once before while trying to flash a PG86IMG.zip, a second try always works (as did for this PG86IMG.zip). Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly causes this error and what it means? TIA!

Got the same error... and second time worked also.

Upvote 0

ramjet73

However the cheese has been moved and there is a second OTA the effects of which are not completely known at this time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones