• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The future of the Fascinate?

I'm kind of standoffish with how Samsung has handled all this update thing. Sure, it's great that you can root relatively easily but compared to how HTC is handling the updates I'm unsure if I'll look to Sammy for my next phone.

On top of that ever since I messed with my wife's cousin's Evo 4G I've been a little envious, that is one slick phone...

yeah if you dont root or dont require it to enjoy the phone, those oems are fine :)

personally i think their corporate policy (while being driven by morons who brick their phones and return them) is very anti-development so i wont support them :eek:

Upvote 0
The only company I wont go back to is Motorola. HTC and Samsung I dont have issue with at this point. While HTCs nand locks are getting harder and harder to break htc has the biggest dev following. There are a lot of devs that only buy HTC phones so Im sure nand lock will continue to be broken. Especially since if it gets broken for 1 phone 4 to 5 more phones usually fall to the same exploit.

Upvote 0
OMJ is the man

brown-nose.jpg

Kidding! :p

Upvote 0
The only company I wont go back to is Motorola. HTC and Samsung I dont have issue with at this point. While HTCs nand locks are getting harder and harder to break htc has the biggest dev following. There are a lot of devs that only buy HTC phones so Im sure nand lock will continue to be broken. Especially since if it gets broken for 1 phone 4 to 5 more phones usually fall to the same exploit.

yeah im not saying nand lock will become unbreakable with the next generation of devices or the one after...its more of my dislike of htc for doing it in the first place

it took a lot of guys a lot of time to finally get the g2 unlocked, and now with sammy getting the next dev phone....who knows

still htc will definetly have a larger following by devs for a long time regardless

Upvote 0
Hey if you knew what I did before he helped me you'd be singing the same song I am. I like to think I know a thing or two about a thing or two but losing my clockwork completely was beyond me. I tried everything I knew to do for hours with no success. OMJ took probably an hour to help me out and he went way above and beyond the call of duty in doing so. It was some great karma paid forward. Thats again why I love this place [although technically we were on irc] but the point is the same. I know many of the great guys and gals in here have spent many minutes even hours directly helping someone out either on the forums or via PM or even in irc via PM. I mean we really are blessed to have so many quality and helpful peeps in here. I would say to list them but then I'd leave someone out and hurt someones feelings. This really is the best spot in the interwebz for this esoteric sub-culture.

I know you meant your comment in good fun :)

I just think he deserves to have everyone see what an outstanding guy he is. So I dont mind giving extended public praise. Besides Im Hawaiian my nose is already brown :p;):D

Upvote 0
Aren't updates going to come rather slowly after 2.3 is released? So, at that point, the lack of running custom kernels wouldn't be THAT detrimental, would it?

i dont really understand what you are saying? :thinking:

yeah android plans to slow down the pace of updates (so they say :rolleyes:) and may go to the iphone 1 release per year....but i dont see what that has to do with custom kernels at all.

actually if android slows down the pace of development custom kernels would be MORE important because then you are less likely to have a new os right around the corner to improve performance.....you would want devs pushing the envelope to speed up/improve your phone

Upvote 0
Everyone here is stating opinion, for me this is a crystal clear thing. We will get the update, there is literally no reason that i can conjure in a realistic world that would get in the way of us getting it. We aren't talking if, we are talking when.

You might be right.

The thing I'll question for all of custom UI Android superphones is - how much Gingerbread will we see?

The makers have invested a lot of dough in their UIs as differentiators.

One of the Gingerbread goals is an improved, and standardized, UI - the final polishing to leave the clunkier UIs behind.

Unless the makers embrace not having to support UI development, and drop the idea that they need that differentiation - it could be very interesting for all of us.

In my opinion.

Reactions: blackbrolly
Upvote 0
Everyone here is stating opinion, for me this is a crystal clear thing. We will get the update, there is literally no reason that i can conjure in a realistic world that would get in the way of us getting it. We aren't talking if, we are talking when.

Obviusly everyone has an opinion and thats great....however To me saying something is 100% is saying there is absolutely no chance 2.3 wont happen and that's impossible to say for sure

Samsung is not only notoriously bad with getting updates out, they also are the least likely to give you beyond what they promised.....and all they promised was Froyo

I'm hopeful we do get it.....Don't get me wrong....but 100% sure is a bit too strong of a guarantee ;)

Upvote 0
I love my phone. This is my first smartphone I have used and Iam very happy with it. With that said I am also very disappointed with it. I really wanted a phone that I felt was a part of me and something That I felt comfortable with. Unfortunately I don't feel that was with the fascinate. Touchwiz is a bit laggy, the GPS issue is HORRIBLE, and I just feel a serious disconnect with the phone. I'm not sure if I have been simply tainted by my iPod touch or just all the constant waiting for fixes for some of these problems but I will probably not get another Samsung smart phone. I liked the incredible when I played with it and HTC in general has seemed to "fit" me better. I'm hoping that after froyo...PR gingerbread or any damn update...the phone will feel a little more like mine.

Upvote 0
I love my phone. This is my first smartphone I have used and Iam very happy with it. With that said I am also very disappointed with it. I really wanted a phone that I felt was a part of me and something That I felt comfortable with. Unfortunately I don't feel that was with the fascinate. Touchwiz is a bit laggy, the GPS issue is HORRIBLE, and I just feel a serious disconnect with the phone. I'm not sure if I have been simply tainted by my iPod touch or just all the constant waiting for fixes for some of these problems but I will probably not get another Samsung smart phone. I liked the incredible when I played with it and HTC in general has seemed to "fit" me better. I'm hoping that after froyo...PR gingerbread or any damn update...the phone will feel a little more like mine.

I'm with you. I think the phone has a TON of potential but Samsung is handicapping it like crazy with their lack of support.

Upvote 0
Have you moved up to the DJ05 build? Many/most who have have found the GPS significantly better. Also, if you pair something other than TW [like ADW or LP] with a recently made kernel lag is virtually gone. Arguably you cannot do better than an overclocked voodoo5 kernel right now. But even if you dont vooodoo5 and/or dont OC the 1GHz nonvoodoo kernels are a step up from stock.

Upvote 0
Have you moved up to the DJ05 build? Many/most who have have found the GPS significantly better. Also, if you pair something other than TW [like ADW or LP] with a recently made kernel lag is virtually gone. Arguably you cannot do better than an overclocked voodoo5 kernel right now. But even if you dont vooodoo5 and/or dont OC the 1GHz nonvoodoo kernels are a step up from stock.

uh...what he said ^^^ ;)

Upvote 0
no actually I am strictly a non rooter. Not that I don't think its a bad thing or bad idea, but I'm just not savvy enough to do something like that. Plus I don't think a phone should HAVE to be rooted in order for it to work well And size up
Against its toughest competition, the I phone. But that's just my opinion.

Yes actually I like LP and adw VERY much but I still don't like going from the stock launcher that Much. And honestly I hate
The stock launcher. I love the openness of android but I also hate that Samsung doesn't make a solid, well working phone.

I dunno that's how I see it. Like I said, this is my first phone and I adore it over my old LG dare...but I can't help but feel like it could be so much more if only it had a little more love. To tell you the truth I'm actually a little jelous of my father's Droid x and I never thought I would say that.

Upvote 0
no actually I am strictly a non rooter. Not that I don't think its a bad thing or bad idea, but I'm just not savvy enough to do something like that. Plus I don't think a phone should HAVE to be rooted in order for it to work well And size up
Against its toughest competition, the I phone. But that's just my opinion.

Yes actually I like LP and adw VERY much but I still don't like going from the stock launcher that Much. And honestly I hate
The stock launcher. I love the openness of android but I also hate that Samsung doesn't make a solid, well working phone.

I dunno that's how I see it. Like I said, this is my first phone and I adore it over my old LG dare...but I can't help but feel like it could be so much more if only it had a little more love. To tell you the truth I'm actually a little jelous of my father's Droid x and I never thought I would say that.

in general i find a real distinction between the "potential" performance of any android phone out of the box and what it actually comes packaged as.

as much as i dont like apples closed policies and such, they do make a much better out of the box experience for those who dont like to tinker....android to me is great because of the ability to tinker and change things

i think that many will jump ship to the verizon iphone when it becomes available, which is fine :)

Upvote 0
Oh don't get me wrong...I LOVE tinkering with the basic, non root version of android. You know different Widgets, music apps and the like, LP and adw. Basically typical graphical and performance/productive stuff. The other more complicated stuff like rooting and kernals and Roms are a little out of my league. I mean just trying to figure out how to run the market emulators is a headache. But again I'm not much of a tech savvy individual.

Upvote 0
Oh don't get me wrong...I LOVE tinkering with the basic, non root version of android. You know different Widgets, music apps and the like, LP and adw. Basically typical graphical and performance/productive stuff. The other more complicated stuff like rooting and kernals and Roms are a little out of my league. I mean just trying to figure out how to run the market emulators is a headache. But again I'm not much of a tech savvy individual.

i hear ya, samsung can make your headspin with some of the decisions they make :eek:

Upvote 0
redraptor, I certainly respect your opinion. Rooting or doing anything to one's own phone is of course their own personal choice. You by all means are certainly entitled to your opinion on not needing to root to have a good phone. Having said that, it is accurate to say that rooting is available. While it might be a slightly esoteric process, it is equally truly to say the start to finish rooting process only does take a few minutes to perform. Further, and I will take the liberty to declare this fact versus opinion, if you were to root and jump on DJ05 build and get a clean rom with a new higher performing kernel you would see a tangibly significant difference in performance in terms of the fit and feel of the SF. In the past week I as reset back to stock and was amazed at how different true stock is from where I am currently with DJ05, clean rom v.7 and a 1.2Ghz voodoo kernel.
I also think you are selling yourself a tad short on your own ability. I've seen some of the stuff you've done with your SF already in other threads. All it would take you is a short it of time on reading what is involved in the process. By all means you dont have to anything you choose not to. Im just of the opinion that you can do this and if you alter your stance on root I think you could have the phone you desire.

Upvote 0
Oh no I understand. I definatly respect your opinion as well. I think its also a matter of no resources. I don't have a computer so rooting is next to impossible as it is. Losing the computer in the fire REALLY sucks and I've had to turn to my fascinate for all my computer needs...so maybe I'm griping more than the average user about stuff. Regardless I still feel that if I spend 200 and some odd dollars on top of a contract the phone should be excellent in its core features which the fascinate does in some areas.

Upvote 0
Oh no I understand. I definatly respect your opinion as well. I think its also a matter of no resources. I don't have a computer so rooting is next to impossible as it is. Losing the computer in the fire REALLY sucks and I've had to turn to my fascinate for all my computer needs...so maybe I'm griping more than the average user about stuff. Regardless I still feel that if I spend 200 and some odd dollars on top of a contract the phone should be excellent in its core features which the fascinate does in some areas.
The fire yes I forgot about that :eek:. But didnt you hook up an uber laptop I recall you did

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones