The G1 on Swedish networks/carriersGeneral

Last Updated:

1. UncleRedz

UncleRedz Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Just got an unlocked G1 from the USA last week, through a company here in Sweden, I've been using it for a few days now. I've been searching and there's not many posts about using the G1 in Sweden, so I'll post my findings so far.

At first I was a bit nervous, since when you start the G1 for the first time, it will ask you for your Google Account, which I entered, but the data communication constantly failed and it appears as if there's not much you can do, but retry, which also failed.

However, at the failure message page, press the Menu button and you will be taken to the APN network settings. Once there, add a new APN profile.

You can get the APN settings for your carrier from there home page, look for manual settings. It may be a bit tricky to enter everything in the right place.

Once that's done and you exit the APN network settings, a 3G icon will appear in the status bar. Now you have data access and can complete the login process.

The G1 comes preloaded with several APN profiles for the T-mobile carrier, but understandably, no Swedish carriers. Also, I've been told elsewhere that it may depend on how new/old your SIM is, the G1 may be able to figure out the basics for the APN profile if the information is on the SIM.

The company I got the G1 from had tested it with the Tele2 and Telenor carriers. My old SIM is with Telenor as well, which I've tested also and I got everything to work, with the exception of MMS.

Now I've switched to 3, which has a better subscription for my use. Got the same results with 3, everything worked, SMS, internet, data, syncing etc but not MMS.

As it turns out, the APN settings has to be just right to make it work. Using the following settings, everything, including MMS works with the 3 carrier,

Name: Tre
    APN: data.tre.se
    Proxy: <Not Set>
    Port: <Not Set>
    Username: <Not Set>
    Password: <Not Set>
    Server: <Not Set>
    MMSC: mms.tre.se
    MMS Proxy: 172.16.53.11
    MMS Port: 8799
    MCC: 240
    MNC: 02
    APN Type: <Not Set>

(The MCC and MNC is the country and carrier codes.)

Another consern I had was about updating the firmware, would I need to update it manually? Or would the OTA work here as well?

The G1 came with the American RC19 firmware and this morning the phone said by it self that it had a new firmware update ready for installation, after which it had updated it self to RC30. So, the OTA upgrade is working here as well, even though T-mobile isn't used as carrier.

I had also prepared my self for getting used to the American date and time format, since the Android OS isn't translated yet. However, it is possible to change the time format to 24H and the date format to YYYY-MM-DD. In a few apps here and there, the American date and time format still shows up, but most of the time the format is correct.

On a final note, entering Swedish characters is possible, just long press the character on the keyboard and a dialog with alternate versions of that character is shown.

So far I'm most pleased with the G1, it's very quick and responsive and so far I've not had any problems with it, appart from getting the APN settings right.

Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

Could you let me know which company you bought it from in Sweden so i can get one too?

3. UncleRedz

I found them using Blocket.se, however they only had a limited amount of them and now the ad has been removed. The company was http://www.returdesign.se/ (or http://www.iphonecafe.se/, it's the same company). There are others selling it on blocket now as well.

The phone has worked very well, the only issue if any is the battery power. The first few days the battery didn't last very long. However I was using WiFi a lot and had it on all the time.

Since the 3 operators 3G network is so good in my area, I've since then left WiFi off and only use the 3G network, this increases battery life and I also did the "drain the battery and then leave it charging over night" thing, which helped a lot.

It's not a problem with the battery cells as such but apparently the logic for determining if the battery is drained or not needs recalibrating on some batteries and by doing the said procedure it recalibrates, so it won't think that the battery is low when it really isn't. That's what I've read at least, in any case it works.

Also, when charging, the led that indicates charging is turned off when the charge is above about 96%, however, just leave it charging to 100%. Those last 4 percent seems to be important.

Now I only need to charge every other day, and that's when I use the phone for email, rss, surfing and some video. (If I only use the phone as a phone, the charge lasts longer.)

Cheers

4. jusutus

jusutus Member

Here in Finland I only made a new APN profile with the name of the service provider and it found out the settings by itself :)

5. Laggdroid

Laggdroid New Member

Hey! I just got my G1, and I'm having trouble setting the APN correctly...
    I currently have telia, and it doesnt work at all, so Im trying a friends SIM, from telenor. What settings did you have for telenor?

Thanks!

6. UncleRedz

Sorry, I don't have the telenor settings anymore. But you could try to use the information in the 3 APN settings above, compare that to what 3 calls those settings on there web, and then look at Telenos web pages and "translate" the settings back to the APN settings names.

The biggest issue for me was that all the Swedish operators basicly call all the settings by the names used by Sony Ericsson and Nokia, where as the names used in Android for the various settings is somewhat different.

7. okänd

okänd Member

I'm on telia and I couldn't get MMS to work with them. I then found this thread and borrowed a 3 SIM card from a friend to try it out to see if it's Telias requirement of a password on the MMS APN that made it not work.

Well, to the point.

I entered the APN settings that are written in the OP and MMS still doesn't work. The phone saw that there was a message there and offered a download button for it but if I tried to use it the download failed, just like on telia. Any ideas on what that could be wrong?

I have a dev phone if that makes any difference.

8. haer

haer New Member

I'm having the same problem myself, can't get mms to work using telia.

I wonder if it's the username/password thing that's causing the problem or something else.

I mean, they say that they need mms.telia.se as apn, but it doesn't work anyway when i use that and if i do, 3g doesn't work anymore.

I hope someone finds a way to fix this, since it's weird that a large operator like telia would have settings so strange that a new phone couldn't handle it :)

9. UncleRedz

I have no idea why it doesn't work for you guys. Have your phones updated them self to RC30?

I have a brand new Tre SIM, I have no idea if that makes any difference. Also my Tre subscription is not locked to a specific phone and I have the 3Bredband 7.2 Mbit/s data subscription.

There are differences in what information is contained and how it's structured on the SIM depending on how old it is and that might affect how well it works with Android.

I used to work at a large phone manifacturer in Sweden (take a wild guess) and we had a large collection of SIMs from various operators around the world, both old and new SIMs and it wasn't uncommon that some SIMs didn't work correctly with some phones/firmware releases (that weren't using the EMP platform).

I hade the download button thing as well, before getting the settings right. What that means is that SMS is getting though, which is used for informing the phone that there is a new MMS. The phone then tries to download the MMS from the MMSC using the MMS Proxy/Port settings but fails.

Usually the operators (in Sweden at least) separate MMS traffic from internet/data surf traffic using different addresses/profiles, so MMS won't work if the data setting is used for downloading the MMS, and surfing won't work if the MMS setting is used.

So in the case of Telia, have you tried mms.telia.se as MMSC and verified that MMS Proxy and Port is correct? Then use the data address for the APN name.

Also I have no idea how the APN-type setting is used. If you take a look at the provided T-Mobile settings, you will notice that some of them have different APN-type's and multiple APN profiles for the same network. It might be that you can have one profile for MMS and one for data and the APN-type then informs the phone which one of the APN profiles to use for the different type of data connections, but that's just a guess.

(Before I tried to figure out the settings by my self, I also used the operators webpage for sending the settings to the phone, which didn't work, since they don't have the G1 and the phone didn't respond to settings sent for other phones.)

10. haer

haer New Member

Well, i've tried to use the exact settings from my old phone and from the telia homepage. As far as i can since they use a different language.
    There's nothing called proxy or mmsc on the telia page. But i've tried it to the best of my knowledge but still it does not work.

:)

11. haer

haer New Member

I've tried creating another apn, calling the 3g one "default" on apn type and the mms "mms".

I'm using the following settings on the mms:

Name: telia mms
    APN: mms.telia.se
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username: mms
    Password: telia
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mmss
    MMS proxy: 193.209.134.132
    MMS port: 9201
    MCC: 240