• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The G1 web browser?

Meep

Lurker
Nov 29, 2008
Hi! I'm trying to decide whether I should get a G1 or an iPhone 3G. One of the most important things for me is web browsing, and from what I've seen on video comparisons, the iPhone browser is much smoother when it comes to scrolling, zooming, etc. Is it a hardware limitation of the G1, or is it something that's likely to be improved in future Android updates?

And I also have another question, for people who used both the G1 and the iPhone. I know that the iPhone has a slightly bigger screen, but the same resolution. Does it make a lot of difference when it comes to web browsing on both phones?

ok i have them both, im going to be honest with you,b/c everyone else is going to tell you that g1 kills the iphone because where on a g1 forum, but heres the truth, the iphone's browser is way smoother, although the g1 isnt that bad, i really miss the pinch and expand in order to zoom, the g1 has a magnifying glass kind of scheme but its really hard to use and i dont like it that much, now as for 3g speeds i have tested them both and the g1 does seem to be faster, they both load the same kind of content really, the g1 does have the ability to copy and paste links and other sort of things, as well as download image which comes really handyyyy!!!, i also found that enter fields are alot easier on g1 because its like a computer where you just click and type rather then iphone you click then the keyboard comes up which takes a few seconds, btw consider the keyboards when your buying the phone,

So over all at this time right now i think the iphone has an advantage b.c of the smooth scrolling and the pinch and expand, But consider this the g1 will have Flash within the next month so thats a biggie for anyone whos intersted in the browser aspect of the phone.
P.S opera just came out so thats another thing to consider. tell me what you think

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply :) As for wide screen, the iPhone browser can also be used when turned on the side. I've looked around some more, and I decided that right now the iPhone seems to be a better choice for me (I'm sure it's different for different people, depending on how someone uses their phone). While the Android OS seems to be better than the iPhone OS, the actual iPhone seems better to me than the G1. So for now I'm going to get an iPhone, and maybe in a year or two the next phone I'll get will be some new Android one. :)

Upvote 0
I agree with mish147. I also have both, and the iphone browser is smoother than G1. The multitouch zoom gestures are also superb compared to the G1 method.
However, the G1 does load screens significantly faster than iphone. I've compared both on WiFi, so it's definitely the G1 that's faster rather than any network consideration.
As for comments about the onscreen keyboard reducing screen real-estate, remember that it's only visible when you're entering data, and disappears during general browsing.
On a side note though the "proper" keyboard on the G1 is a pleasure after suffering the on-screen iphone keyboard for over a year.
For the record though, I only have the G1 for app development, and continue to use my iphone day to day. Though this may change if nicer handsets come out.

PS - This is my first post - Hello everyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones