• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Gap! The Terrible Gap! How's Your Screen Seal?

Got a gap?

• Nope!

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • Yep!

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Yep, but I hadn't noticed until this thread. Damn you.

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Wahwah

Jul 30, 2009
Graphite Hero, Orange.

I'm on my second one now, soon to be third, first one for reception issues, second one because the seal around the screen isn't fitted properly. As it goes, both handsets have had this problem.

I called HTC earlier and they said to return the handset as the seal shouldn't be like that. So I called Orange and they're swapping it. I don't think it's a big deal and it doesn't bother me but I know I'd regret not getting it sorted if a few months down the line there's a load of dust under the screen.

Out of curiosity, how many other people have a bad seal around the screen? It seems to affect the top of the screen for most people. You'll notice it if you tilt it back and forth and the light catches bits of metal/components inside the phone.

I've attached a pic from another forum (they couldn't get a photo to come out right either so it shows the effect of the gap, as opposed to the actual gap itself).

Attachments

• gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 234
Yes, I have the gap on a new today Graphite/Orange Hero. I'm figuring that it is not a big issue. The perforated mic shield is directly above it along with the hole for the earphones. Dust will find its way in any way. Just have to hope that the layers of the screen are better sealed.

Looks like a manufacturing tolerance issue, it's pretty minute.

On the basis you've had three with the same gap, I'm not likely to be any luckier so best try to ignore it is my take on it.

I cant deny though it will annoy the heck out of me !

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think you're right.

I wish I'd stuck with the second handset now, I decided I couldn't be bothered to ask for a replacement for the 3rd one and just started enjoying the phone then I watched a tv show on it and found out that it has 3 hot/stuck pixels. :(

Because of the pixels I called Orange and said about the Seal on this one (I know companies don't consider dead/hot/stuck pixels a problem below a certain number so I thought I'd give a reason they'd accepted before)and said I'd like to try one more and if that's unsealed too, then so be it, I'll keep it.

They asked if I'd like a different handset and said that I'd have to go to an Orange store and have them verify the problem and then they'd send another handset down...

Hassle. I don't know why I couldn't just go into a shop and have them swap it, I could check what I'm getting then. What's the point of having a huge network of shops if you won't use them to give good customer service!

What happens now if I get another handset and it's even worse! You'd think for the amount of money these things cost that there'd be a decent level of quality control.

Upvote 0
Hi, My first handset was perfect but T mobile insisted on changing it as they couldnt fix a picture messaging problem. Ive had two further handsets, the first one was so poor the gap was visible and the screen actuall moved away as if it was going to fall out ! the latest one which i had yesterday has quite a big gap similar to the one in the picture, I can get three sheets of paper together in my gap. Very poor but i dont necessarily blame HTC as the phones that get sent out are clearly not new and have been returned as unwanted under the exchange / refund rules. Part of the process of them being sent out as replacements is undoubtedly an overhaul which appears to include removal of the screen by the service provider and they are just badly put back together. This is not on and I am going to send mine back today and insist on a new one or cancel my agreement all together on the grounds of being supplied equipment and services not fit for purpose. If everyone did this it would soon make them act properly and make them stop fobbing people off with secondhand equipment..... Oh and my picture messaging still doesnt work on T mobile...Useless...

Upvote 0
Just called in my 3rd handset gap problem and with a little bit of persuasion they have agreed to send me out a brand new phone (not a refurb' !!!). This clearly is a common issue and to be fair to the lady I spoke to she was very good and had no problem in issuing a new one to avoid the possibility of me having a 4th dodgy handset..... Thanks T mobile.

Upvote 0
I can just see you all having a look now lol.

Yep, grabbed the first piece of paper I could lay my hands on!

No gap, but I do (still) have a nasty patch of dust (which obscures the screen in bright light) that looks like it's entered from a particular spot - the patch is kind of wedge or fan shaped with the pointy bit at the edge of the screen - but I can't find any kind of gap there, so I dunno....

Upvote 0
Hi, I've only just joined this forum yesterday and came across this thread. I got my HTC Hero (Graphite) in the post yesterday that I bought off ebay and now I'm a bit worried that this gap is on mine. I have had a look at mine in the light and tbh if there is a gap then it is very minute, I can notice the top-right of the screen is about half a mm higher than the left, I tried to put the paper down it like other members have been and it wouldn't go through all the way like ive been seeing so I'm just wondering if I've got an alright one?

It sounds OK to me enjoy your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones