The guy who designed WebOS, designed 2.3?

Last Updated:

1. htcdesire_3

htcdesire_3 Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 9, 2010
    A few days back I read somewhere that the guy who designed the UI of WebOS, was hired to design the UI of 2.3 this time. But so far what I have seen in 2.3, I don't see anything aesthetically more good looking than Froyo (may be a few and very minor improvements).
    Can a rooted phone be updated with latest OS updates the moment they are available (just like Nexus owners)?

What are the major disadvantages of rooting?

Is it possible to root desire and yet have SenseUI on it (I use some widgets regularly, like calender, People (contacts), Weather)?
    I'm pretty much sure that HTC will make Desire owners wait for longer to get 2.3 because they have their new handsets in market and first they will serve them. What do you think?

2. DanC

DanC Active Member

May 7, 2010
    You're thinking of Mattias Duarte, the guy that lead the team behind the WebOS UI.

As far as I know, Google said the interface overhaul will be coming in Android 3.0. We just wrongly assumed Gingerbread was going to be Android 3.0. I'm hoping to see some more drastic improvements when Honeycomb finally gets released.

A non-Nexus One phone wont be able to use OS updates immediately, however give developers like Cyanogen a couple of weeks and I'm sure you'll have a stable Gingerbread phone in your hands. This obviously requires rooting.

If you're comfortable and competent with tech related stuff already, there really aren't many downsides to rooting. There are however plenty of upsides.

If you're not so tech minded and something goes wrong with the rooting process it can be a little stressful, but with tools like unrevoked there is very little that can go wrong and it's nigh impossible to fully brick your phone unless you do something silly.

When you root your phone via unrevoked, you'll have a fully rooted phone with Sense UI. To get rid of Sense, you'll have to download and install a custom ROM. There are plenty of ROMs available from xda-developers and I'm sure you'd be able to find something to fit your needs, be it vanilla Android, SenseHD or even something completely different like MIUI.

You're probably right about HTC making us Desire owners wait a little longer, assuming they upgrade us to 2.3 at all. We've yet to hear whether HTC has commited to developing Gingerbread for us.