• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

the human league

Kind of an old band to be brought up as a topic though. They had a little bit of success in the US but weren't groundbreaking. Part of the New Wave/New Romantics era that quickly appeared and disappeared in a brief time

Haircut bands most of 'em...

...Flock of Haircuts, I mean Seagulls, stands out in my memory as one of the worst.

Upvote 0
They were horrible back in the eighties (IMHO), can't see how they would've changed since then.

Except they're now all in their mid-50s. Is it even the original line-up? - or like just one original and some session musicians playing as "Human League".

I liked them before they became famous around '78-80, and still listen to Travelogue and Reproduction. As soon as they started with Don't You Want Me Baby and went too commercial, that's when I lost interest.

EDIT:

I just checked Wikipedia for the Human League, apparently the current line-up is a bald Philip Oakey and the two girls, now looking rather overweight, and probably some session musicians.

I preferred Heaven 17 myself rather over Human League after they released "Dare", but then Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh we're original founders of Human League in the late '70s.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
"Except they're now all in their mid-50s. Is it even the original line-up? - or like just one original and some session musicians playing as "Human League". "

That's the thing. I used to love depeche mode back in the 80s n had a real thing for David Gahan in his vest n black leather pants. But cycle forward 20 years and I saw them on a show, Dave had gone through a really rough time with one thing and another but was still in his vest n leather pants n he had bingo wings (the flabby skin at the top of your arms) and did not look good, as he clapped the skin just sort of flapped and it was not pretty.
He does still sound good though even now, maybe just needs to realise he is not still 20.
Saying that though, last week I saw the Rolling Stones on something, and Mick jagger was there in HIS leather pants!!!! What is he?? 80???? 90?????? He was all over the place n still fit, but the face. Him and Keith Richards looked like spitting image puppets.

Upvote 0
"Except they're now all in their mid-50s. Is it even the original line-up? - or like just one original and some session musicians playing as "Human League". "

That's the thing. I used to love depeche mode back in the 80s n had a real thing for David Gahan in his vest n black leather pants. But cycle forward 20 years and I saw them on a show, Dave had gone through a really rough time with one thing and another but was still in his vest n leather pants n he had bingo wings (the flabby skin at the top of your arms) and did not look good, as he clapped the skin just sort of flapped and it was not pretty.
He does still sound good though even now, maybe just needs to realise he is not still 20.
Saying that though, last week I saw the Rolling Stones on something, and Mick jagger was there in HIS leather pants!!!! What is he?? 80???? 90?????? He was all over the place n still fit, but the face. Him and Keith Richards looked like spitting image puppets.

:D

I saw Status Quo performing somewhere on TV recently, and I thought they were OK, it was Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt I recognised, although looking a lot older now, and probably in their 70s. And they've been around almost as long as the Stones.

On the other hand I saw the Moody Blues somewhere as well on TV, and I thought they were awful. The sound was horrible, and it was like Justin Hayward lost the ability to sing in tune.

Probably with Status Quo like the Rolling Stones(despite old men in tight leather), they're straight forward guitar bands that play rock'n'roll. And so are probably more likely to survive the test of time than fashion orientated technology "synthpop" bands, like Depeche Mode or Human League or Duran Duran for that matter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones