The Inevitable Drop

Last Updated:

1. Thassodar

Thassodar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was just curious if anyone has dropped their Captivate or Vibrant from a decent height and what happened (if anything). I personally have let it slip out of my hands a few times but it's never fallen more than a foot before I caught it. It did slip inbetween the seat in my car but still looks brand spankin new. The backplate has a tiny tiny scratch but that's it.

Also, in your opinion, what would survive a fall better? The Captivate/Vibrant or the iPhone 4? Beyond the fact that the iPhone has a glass screen and shatters ridiculously easy, I have no clue what the Captivate screen is made of (AMOLED, I know, but that's the screen). I haven't seen any disastrous pics of dropped Captivates so I'd like to know what you guys think.

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Mine fell from a few feet onto pavement and scratched up the corner a bit a few hours before I was about to pick up my Body Glove case. :mad:

It also put the tiniest scratch in an unimportant area of the screen.

Luckily the plastic scratches are covered by the case and you notice the screen nick even less with the screen protector on.

I'd guess the iPhone 4 would suffer more from a drop because it's more glass (which tolerates impact less) and metal. The plastic of the Captivate does act as a bit of a shock-absorber... deforming versus shattering, and it's softer than metal.

3. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

I have dropped both phones. My captivate got a little dent/scratch on the panel by the camera... The iPhone actually cracked a bit, but I still returned it!

4. jonE5

jonE5 Well-Known Member

ive dropped the captivate a few times. Due to the plastic being softer and the captivate being lighter im thinking it will hold up better.

Biggest drop was from about 3.5 feet off the top of my couch onto hard ceramic tile. Not a single mark anywhere.

Anyone who has owned a macbook pro knows how easily those metal frames dent and warp.

5. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

I dropped my captivate three feet onto a brick walkway while hittng the town one night. Not one scratch, but I also have the body glove case. It did its job and it still looks new.

6. puckerth

puckerth New Member

I've chucked mine 3 times already, all from around waist height when pulling it out of my pocket, once on hardwood and twice on tile. Not used to the size and feel of it yet, obviously. No marks that I've seen and still works fine.

7. ace35

ace35 Well-Known Member

found this thread interesting as i had just dropped mine for the first time yesterday, from 3 ft onto hot pavement, with a body glove on. hit on the top left corner and i thought it was a goner, but made it without a scratch.

there is a you tube video posted here somewhere showing a guy abusing a new galaxy phone and what it takes to "destroy" it. thought it was funny because every time the guy goes to try something new he looks off screen like hes asking "you really want me to do this to your new phone?"

YouTube - ‪Samsung Galaxy S Durability Test‬‎

8. Thassodar

Thassodar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

WOW my eyes got HUGE when he took a screw to the screen! And now I know not to carry razors around in my pocket. I just wish I knew what they were saying...

That 90cm drop was pretty cool too, but with the Captivate we have those corners that may be dented and that weirdly textured backplate. At least the screen will be okay!

9. rajendra82

rajendra82 Well-Known Member

Dropped it in Frys from about 3 ft onto the bottom metal shelf while fumbling with a universal leather pouch. Not a scratch thanks to the body glove.

10. Aftashok

Aftashok Well-Known Member

dropped from ear height (i'm 6'2) - flat onto the face of the phone onto hard linoleum..... scared the $@*% out of me, but picked it up and not a single scratch, and phone went on like normal without a problem....