• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps The 'internet' part of mobile applications

GreenAce92

Lurker
Aug 31, 2011
I'd like to start getting into android development. I am not a complete novice, I have taken a course in Java, C++, worked with C, C#, and XML. I initially was going to develop for windows phone but now I am targeting a broader audience. Anyway, the last four months I have worked on websites, establishing databases, applying password hashing, SSL certificates, etc... so I'm wondering, when you bridge a local application (Mobile) to the internet eg. web socket / wamp router and the data such as pictures and whatever, is it the same? You just access the server directly similar to an SSH client or something? What about security? Does SSL apply to mobile applications if the application is ran "locally" eg. not in the browser but it does pull and send data back and forward between the device(s) and server.

Thanks for any information.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones