The irc.

1. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

Im not sure if anyone noticed or not, but there IS an irc... i went in and it was a ghost town.. any chance of it getting some love? Or is it going to be done away with? Either way its a task the kind of needs attention haha.. (imo...)

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

I've never been able to make that work:rolleyes:

I think it's an abandoned relic.
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Some members go in there to help users with complicated issues, but that is still rare. There has even been talk of removing it all together as well.
  4. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

5. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

Didn't even know it was here. I might have used it once last year and forgotten. Here's the link to the site's java-based client (found in Shabbypenguin's thread):
    http://androidforums.com/irc.php
    I'll note that Java prompts with questions that would scare off many average users, and once you click "No" to a scary question you can't get it back.

Does it work for people using their Android device instead of a desktop?

Perhaps some more friendly web-based clients would work. However, IRC in general has been pretty dead since years before Android existed, with a dedicated population of faithful users and very little influx of new ones except probably a few contexts where it is normal and popular enough to draw people in.

Here's a preconfigured web client for people to use if that one isn't satisfactory. Please remember to adjust your username before entering. It probably won't work on Android devices.
    #androidforums : Chat on androidforums IRC channel - Freenode WebChat

For Android this is a good IRC client:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andchat
    scary alien likes this.
  6. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

What problem(s) did you encounter? It works fine for me--I just tried it for, I believe, the first time. SeaMonkey browser on Linux.

No, actually, there were quite a few people in there, and I got an almost instantaneous response to a 'hello out there' comment. :)
  7. MoodyBlues

I don't think I did, either. I won't swear to it, though. :D I just gave it a try and it worked fine in my browser (SeaMonkey on Linux), and there were quite a few people in there.

Perhaps we should promote it so more people are aware of it, and can go there for live interaction when they have a question/problem.
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

That was 6 months ago, damned if I remember.:rofl: I would have been Chrome on XP I think then. Or linux on a stick, can't remember. I know I was having all sorts of problems with a 9 year old laptop around then.

Either way, I do pretty well with the forum pace.:)
  9. MoodyBlues

:D :laugh: Yeah, but you see I'm just *NOW* seeing this thread. I'm being a good girl and exploring boards I normally never visit, because that was suggested to us new guides. :)

Me, too. But it's kind of nice knowing IRC is an option. It could be useful--if more people knew about it! :D