The King of Beers watered down?????

1. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

i saw this on cnn toay:
    Makers of Budweiser sued over watery beer

i new there was something funny with my budweiser lately. it seems that they are watering down the beer. i believe that some think that they distill the beer to 7% alcohol and then add water to get down to 5%. but i think the lawsuit is suggesting that they are even going below that percentage as well......lame!!!!!

luckily i don't not drink it all that often as i tend to drink newcastle majority of the time.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

FYI each of the 50 states has its own set of laws regarding what can be called beer, and how much alcohol is allowed in it. In many states, a beer with an alcohol content above the state's arbitrary limit can't be sold as beer. In some states it can't be sold at all. In others it can only be sold if it's imported. In still others it must be called "ale" and be taxed and sold differently from beer.

Is anyone here from Tennessee? That's one state with some crazy beer laws!

The ideal thing to do is to brew each batch of beer to the desired alcohol content, so it has the maximum flavor for what it has to be. But it's cheaper to just brew one type of beer, then water it down to meet legal requirements.

Don't like that? Then support your local craft brewer!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  3. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Bud light is my prefered alcoholic beverage.
  4. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

Oh you mean it is being watered down even more. Of course, it's not US owned anymore! What the heck do they care!!!
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I've always found Budweiser to be rather like Chinese beer, in that you can drink lots of it, you go to the bathroom a lot, but you don't actually get particularly drunk.
    SUroot and ocnbrze like this.
  6. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Surprised?

Me neither.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Look for a good local micro-brewery. Get to know what is out there and forget the national brands. Here in Utah, we have many really nice brews.

Alternatively, learn to home brew. You will know what is in your glass and you can create a stronger beer if that is your pleasure.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

budweiser was never even close to king. They make alot of it, but it does not make it any good.
    Davdi and ocnbrze like this.
  9. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i like miller and shiner

my dad liks bud... and he should not drink so much.. so, it is ok with me to be watered down some. LOL
    ocnbrze likes this.
  10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I always thought Bud tasted Watery anyway to be honest.
    Hadron and ocnbrze like this.
  11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

It'd be easy enough to actually test alcohol percentage
    ocnbrze likes this.
  12. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

After the first case, it really doesn't matter anymore.
    Just Sayin'
  13. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

I went to a ton of Kansas City Royals' games last summer. When the beer/water vendor would walk by, he would call out "Bud Light! Water!" I would holler back "But he repeats himself!"
    ocnbrze likes this.
  14. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Yes, of course it is. But when it comes down to buying an alcohol tester and buying another case of beer, most beer drinkers buy the case of beer. That's the long and short of it. :)
  15. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

Just remember, the more she drinks, the better you look! :)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  16. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

or it could be the other way around as well:D:eek::D:eek:
  17. Rxpert83

FYI, it was actually tested by an independent company, came right in at 4.99% when advertised as 5
    Speed Daemon likes this.
  18. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I know beers like 120 min from Dogfish Head don't list the abv because it's so high and varies too much. Not sure how that works with the Feds.
  19. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

That's cutting it pretty darn close! :eek:

IMHO it's perfectly reasonable for a brewer to allow a small margin of error so that a batch doesn't fail the state testing. I also think that peoples' beef should be with the states that have these laws that violate the separation of church and state, and not with the brewers who must comply or go out of business. IJS
  20. SiempreTuna

Hey!

Drinking and politics do NOT mix!

:)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  21. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i have to drink... to even listen to politics
    ocnbrze likes this.
  22. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Regardless of politics, Budweiser,(and especially Bud Light) is corporate crap beer.:D
  23. Rxpert83

I wasnt saying that those results failed and the beer was watered down.

They passed the test.
  24. SiempreTuna

The original (disputed .. in lots of courts in lots of countries), Czech Bud ain't too bad.

Of course, the best beers are unquestionably Belgian and made by monks. The next best Belgian but not made by monks.

Has to be said that some Belgian non-monks also make cheap **** - Stella being the prime example.
  25. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

big known beers such as Heineken, Stella, Guiness etc. are not the best beers out there, just because they are designed for big market. Still its not as bad as Bud.
    I'd go for most Sam Adams flavors any day. I've visited their brewery and most brewing processes are not automated. They also do more than 50 experimental flavors every year. Some flavors can not even be found outside of Massachusetts.

Bottom line is, if you are a fan of Bud, you don't know much about beer.
    ocnbrze and dan330 like this.