• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

honestly, i wish it didn't i have auto rotate turned off now. it wasn't that bad when you could only turn it one way (the way ive been turning it for a horizontal screen for years) and the fact that it wouldn't rotate the other way was a plus for me cause if i wanted to lay on my side and use my phone, i just laid on the side it wouldn't rotate

Upvote 0
for the people with browser lag...what browser are you using?
before and after the froyo update i've been having lag with dolphin hd. I did a lil googling and found that dolphin has been getting slower after the last few updates they have done.
i've gone back to the stock browser for now, and it seems to be much faster than dolphin, but i hate not having tabs

Upvote 0
Also, hasn't been mentioned yet...

New dialpad, new callerID screen, on/off HTC widgets look much better, off by an hour on calender w/exchange sync fixed, and this one will probably require a software update(but not that it is a problem): if your exchange server requires security policy(remote wipe, password lock, etc...), your phone doesen't actually password lock until the 3,5,10 minute auto lock is enabled, meaning you can manually lock the screen(power button) and then just slide to unlock w/o password. Actually, now that I think more, that's a good thing in case you accidentally lock phone, it is faster to get back in. Also, if you chose a numeric passcode, it automatically puts numbers up(dial pad) rather than having to click through the smaller qwerty keyboard.

Upvote 0
-"Settings" menu is now divided into more categories

-Added ability to have an unlock pattern or password (like Moto Droids). Unlock screen shows exact battery percentage

-Gmail UI is updated

-If you click on the HTC clock, it will take you to the "Desk Clock" app, which now lists exact battery %

-Speed is greatly increased. Especially noticed with live wallpapers (they added 1 live wallpaper; the nexus one wallpaper). Sense is snappier than ever. I can fly through my seven screens now with the optical button, even with a live wallpaper.

-Emulators running much better. After the update, the sound issues I had with Final Fantasy 7 seem to be mostly gone. Speed is now "perfect" instead of "near perfect" :) SNES, NES, and GBA running my games "perfectly"

-Still unknown, but it seems like my battery is taking longer to charge. I'm wondering if this means they fixed the "bump charging" and that it is giving me a full charge straight up.

-Flash 10.1, Skype, Flashlight, and a small slew of verizon bloatware has been added

-New startup (with the "Droid" video/sound)

Haven't really noticed much difference with the keyboard yet, but will let you guys know if I see anything. Will post other changes as I notice them.

my gf got 2.2 early saturday morning, and after viewing your stats on the exact battery percentage on the unlock screen and on the desk clock, i checked it out on her phone. i did not see it list exact battery percentage.

Upvote 0
For those with the Froyo update, did it fix the battery charge issue? Will I be able to charge my phone normally without having to turn it off?

Nothing to fix. It is a Lithium-Ion battery, this is normal.

I would like to know this as well. I just installed Froyo tonight and can say I see a slightly better signal at my house than what it used to be with 2.1. I was getting -92 dBm now I get -88. Anyone else noticing any better signal too?

Your signal will change by more than 4 by blinking. Typical variance is around + or - 5, and other factors such as the way you hold it can change it by 10. So, statistically, you have seen no change at all.

What they DID change was the indicator. Now you will see all 4 bars with a lot lower signal.(When I say lower, keep in mind the number is a negative. So -90 is lower than -80 ) IE: Before a -85 listed 2 maybe 3 bars, now it lists 4. The break even seems to be about -95 showing 2 on 2.1 and 2 on 2.2

Upvote 0
Doesn't seem possible on this already fast phone but it's noticeably faster at everything. Stock browser browsing is faster on both wifi and 3g. Dolphin has some type of small lag issue. Signal dB is minimally better for me, but still better. The 4 bottom LED's are much more responsive in different lighting conditions and more accurate I love this! The optical track pad is excellent now! The auto updating in market. Flashlight rules. I've always liked this phone a lot, and froyo has made it that much better thanks Google!

Reactions: KLM
Upvote 0
Doesn't seem possible on this already fast phone but it's noticeably faster at everything. Stock browser browsing is faster on both wifi and 3g. Dolphin has some type of small lag issue. Signal dB is minimally better for me, but still better. The 4 bottom LED's are much more responsive in different lighting conditions and more accurate I love this! The optical track pad is excellent now! The auto updating in market. Flashlight rules. I've always liked this phone a lot, and froyo has made it that much better thanks Google!

I also noticed all these things. I love it except for keyboard lag when typing in this forum. ........ trying the stock keyboard now and the lag Is gone....cool, guess now I have zero complaints also tried yahoo music, fox.com and it renders video pretty good I can watch full episodes on the fox.com network... awesome!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones