• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help The little white dot under finger

I don't even know what "white dot" you are referring to. Which app or user interface element, and which device?

(My guess is something like a proximity indicator on a device which detects fingers or styluses hovering above the screen, which would be device-specific rather than a general Android feature).

In any case, if it's a system user interface element and there is no setting for it in the system menu, you'd need to root the device and modify the system apps in order to change it.

Upvote 0
Ah, right. Then I'm certain you'll need root to change that.

Don't know which system app the image will be in (my guess would be that SystemUI,apk is most likely, but I've never looked for that one). But any such mod requires root, and as this is an option most never turn on it's not that likely that many if any pre-made themes will include this.

And don't even think about modifying something like this without taking a nandroid backup first (a system backup made using a custom recovery). Get this wrong and your tablet probably won't boot - my first ever bootloop was when doing a simple theming mod, so I've had this experience.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
The little dot, like other user interface element graphics such as status bar icons, will be inside one of the system apps, probably the one I named. Even if it were a standalone image file as you assume (despite my previous post) it would be in a system directory, which would mean that you would still need root to access it.

I've been hacking Android for 5 years now, including modifying system graphics by hand (as opposed to flashing a theme someone else made without knowing how it works). I've never bothered to change that particular graphic, nor hacked a Nexus 7, but I do know how this stuff works. I'm sorry it's not as simple as you assume, but please credit me with not deliberately telling you something complicated when there is a trivial, non-root solution.

Upvote 0
The little dot, like other user interface element graphics such as status bar icons, will be inside one of the system apps, probably the one I named. Even if it were a standalone image file as you assume (despite my previous post) it would be in a system directory, which would mean that you would still need root to access it.

I've been hacking Android for 5 years now, including modifying system graphics by hand (as opposed to flashing a theme someone else made without knowing how it works). I've never bothered to change that particular graphic, nor hacked a Nexus 7, but I do know how this stuff works. I'm sorry it's not as simple as you assume, but please credit me with not deliberately telling you something complicated when there is a trivial, non-root solution.

Hadron did - perhaps you didn't read his reply.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Did you ever read this?

As Hadron Says...
Ah, right. Then I'm certain you'll need root to change that.

Don't know which system app the image will be in (my guess would be that SystemUI,apk is most likely, but I've never looked for that one). But any such mod requires root, and as this is an option most never turn on it's not that likely that many if any pre-made themes will include this.

And don't even think about modifying something like this without taking a nandroid backup first (a system backup made using a custom recovery). Get this wrong and your tablet probably won't boot - my first ever bootloop was when doing a simple theming mod, so I've had this experience.
Root is certainly needed, if not to take the nandroid backup to save your bacon if something goes wrong (which there is a high probability of fiddling around in there), then to access and change things in \system

Listen to this guy, he knows about it

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Ah so, what is the best way to root then? (Best backup?)
Not meaning to be a cheeky monkey here I'm honestly not but you want to mess around with system files to change the colour of a dot without knowing how to root your device and install a custom recovery?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'd suggest going to the root forum for your device (as linked above, whichever it is, as the 2 generations of N7 are different and you don't want to accidentally install something that was meant for different hardware). Read and ask there, and make sure you know what you are doing and why before you try doing it. We'd all rather answer questions beforehands rather than fix problems afterwards. Don't rush in to this stuff. And back up before you start.

Did you ever read this?
Yes. I'm surprised you had to ask after what I wrote. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I reluctantly provide you with the following link ...

[guide] how to change touch pointer

You will need root access and all the requisite knowledge that goes along with that. I caution you NOT to jump both feet first into trying this. Please read and understand EVERYTHING you are attempting and PLEASE backup ALL your data and have a working (AND tested) recovery method prior to changing ANYTHING in the system partition. Please.

Upvote 0
I reluctantly provide you with the following link ...

[guide] how to change touch pointer

You will need root access and all the requisite knowledge that goes along with that. I caution you NOT to jump both feet first into trying this. Please read and understand EVERYTHING you are attempting and PLEASE backup ALL your data and have a working (AND tested) recovery method prior to changing ANYTHING in the system partition. Please.
oh that is too cool..I just may attempt it myself :D

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones