• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The (maybe) "Epic" Motorola X Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't care if a chip is mentioned as having 8, 10, or 20 but in reality it is lower. If it works and makes a phone work great then I'm all for it.

TheVerge " However, the spokesperson added that company is using Qualcomm Krait CPU cores and Adreno GPU cores in the design. It's possible that the much-rumored Moto X will use this X8 SoC, but we'll need to wait to know for sure. Motorola declined to comment when asked who is manufacturing the chips."

Upvote 0
I am curious as to which of these devices they're making gsm versions of. Last year, they made the Razr I as the gsm version of the M, and an exact gsm copy of the Razr HD, but no HD Maxx.

I would think the X will be their phone everywhere. Maybe a few variants like how Samsung has the active and mini line. They were probably contractually obligated to make these Droids, or weren't willing to turn down easy money as they all share mostly the same innards (which will probably be the same as the X).

Upvote 0
I personally don't care if a chip is mentioned as having 8, 10, or 20 but in reality it is lower. If it works and makes a phone work great then I'm all for it.

TheVerge " However, the spokesperson added that company is using Qualcomm Krait CPU cores and Adreno GPU cores in the design. It's possible that the much-rumored Moto X will use this X8 SoC, but we'll need to wait to know for sure. Motorola declined to comment when asked who is manufacturing the chips."

Indeed. It makes me chuckle when I see people whine about their quad cores and such. Most probably have not written a line of code, and they damn sure don't understand how their "intensive" apps are written.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Tweeted by Brian Klug of Anandtech.com -

Motorola Droid 8 core thing, confirmed 8960 Snapdragon S4 Pro (8960Pro), NLP and Contextual thing could be off die or on Hexagon, digging.

The Hexagon is a digital signal processing core in S4 Pro.

Off-die means that it would be a separate chip, _*possibly*_ packaged within the same part, making the SoC an MCM - multi-chip module.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I don't see the point of Ultra if its battery is only 2130mAh, so close to 2000 of Mini. Ultra is essentially Mini with a little bigger screen.

Last year Moto had M/HD/Maxx HD with 2000/2540/3300mAh. My HD with 2540mAh can go almost two days if used lightly.

thats nice and all for the razr and ultra but what about our 2200 mAh moto X battery should we look for something between the mini and ultra or around ultra since its screen is 720 not 1080 so we on the x gets more life

Upvote 0
thats nice and all for the razr and ultra but what about our 2200 mAh moto X battery should we look for something between the mini and ultra or around ultra since its screen is 720 not 1080 so we on the x gets more life

For 720p screen with S4 pro chipset, 2200mAh should be sufficient. But do we know the screen spec of Ultra/Maxx? I could see only sizes on couple of android sites but no info on resolution, screen type (AMOLED vs LCD). If Ultra has 1080p, 5" screen, X will be better on battery I think.

Upvote 0
For 720p screen with S4 pro chipset, 2200mAh should be sufficient. But do we know the screen spec of Ultra/Maxx? I could see only sizes on couple of android sites but no info on resolution, screen type (AMOLED vs LCD). If Ultra has 1080p, 5" screen, X will be better on battery I think.
based on motorola they are all 720p and from what I can tell the moto x will be more "advanced" if you ask me but I really won't know until the first or when the official specs are released

Upvote 0
based on motorola they are all 720p and from what I can tell the moto x will be more "advanced" if you ask me but I really won't know until the first or when the official specs are released

The New Droids (the ones we're looking for) are up on Moto's site now, they are all HD 720p (720x1280 pixels for the Maxx) .

But what I am interested in is this - another quote for Moto's site -

Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System (1.7 GHz dual-core application processor, 400 MHz quad-core GPU, natural language processor, contextual computing processor), Power/Audio Management: PM8921

Upvote 0
Ok. Seems like it's confirmed to be 720p screens on all of new Droids announced today. Quite disappointing to me. I agree new Droids don't have anything over X except 3500mah battery in Maxx.

Well initially the X was only 16GB storage, but today the prices leaked and we have 16 and 32, perhaps, (and yea this is dreaming) there will be a "maxx" like version of the X.

ATT is supposed to have an exclusive version of the X from everything I have heard.

Upvote 0
I second the August 1st announcement.

Its my understanding that yes the announcement is set for Aug 1 with release to be Aug 23. "Essentially the same release as the droids" was what I read.

But for all intents and purposes it looks like the droids are just the X in sheep's clothing. Same specs just dressed up and loaded with bloatware for big red. They even offer the always on always listening Google now.

I am still apprehensive but optimistic that the X will bring extra goodies to the table that will really separate it from the droid family.

Upvote 0
I could easily see the X being sold only thru the Play Store because of the new Droid phones. That would be new territory for Verizon. But what I really can't wait for VoLte and getting any phone I want to use on Verizon.

Play Store would surprise me for both Spirit and Verizon.

We use the term, carrier unlocked, interchangeably but it's really a gsm concept.

What's a better term for CDMA devices - carrier dedicated maybe? :dontknow:

That, to my thinking, puts them in direct competition with Sprint and Verizon stores.

If ATT sells carrier locked and the Play Store doesn't, then they're differentiated.

Much like the GNex was.

Just guessing honestly though. :)

Upvote 0
The bootloader will be an issue, but honestly, since ICS on my GNex I've run pretty much stock, and knowing I can freeze bloat now, that may not be as much of an issue.

Wonder what the exclusive is may be I can get it via play store and if you think about it wasn't nexus 4 a T-Mobile exclusive

pronounced Dur Tee Dee

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones