• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root the need for a custom ROM with a different focus

KhaaL

Oct 15, 2009
I just got to install drakaz custom rom and got some insight into how the samsung android works. The galaxy has a problem being quite low on RAM, which makes it quite sluggish to use. Also, appearently samsung has a few junk services for NPS and whatnot in the vanilla firmwares which takes up even more of that precious RAM!

I realized quite soon that with the limited RAM the galaxy has, there is a need for a ROM with focus on being minimal. Personally, I rather have a simple interfaced responsive phone than a flashy phone which lags horribly. GAOSP and Galaxo are both awesome projects, but their main focus lies more into bringing the latest and greatest to the phone instead of making the galaxy into a swift smartphone.

What do you think of this, would a minimal ROM be appriciated by the galaxy users?

i think its important you do some more research here as while your findings are correct, the galaxo 1.1 also had additional/optional scripts which remove a load of junk that hogged memory.

in order for goasp to run smoothly though im sure they will be removing the junk as they are pretty much coding the os from the ground up and will need the additional memory that "junk" uses in order to run the os smoothly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones