• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help The new 4.4.2 KitKat Update Causing GPS Issues

This morning I woke up to see a system update for my phone and I accepted. This S4 has been a stable rock with no issues since I got it 8 months ago. However the 4.2.2 update I got this morning is causing my phone to get super hot, freeze, and shut off often.

When I look at the status bar across the top, the GPS icon is flickering on and off, on and off, on and off and eventually the phone locks up. Not only that but a separate issue was about half of my icon shortcuts are gone. The apps still exist but the icons are gone. The major problem though is the GPS issue.

I was able to navigate through and turn off the GPS and now the phone seems fine. However, I use the GPS often so this is not a long term fix.

My phone is not rooted and I don't have any backups so I'm not sure if I can rollback to 4.4.1 or this doesn't exist.

Does anyone have any information about the GPS as it related to the 4.4.2 update and how to fix this problem? Thanks! :D

I'm trying to narrow down if one of the installed applications using the GPS is the culprit and not an issue with the 4.4.2 update itself. Maybe an app is not compatible with the new updates. I'm turning apps on and off to see if I can narrow down the issue.

If anyone has any ideas on this though I'd be happy to hear. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well I think I may have found the culprit without having to do a factory reset. I went into the location that shows application that recently used the GPS and shut them down 1 by 1. It appears the application I have named Transparent Weather Clock was the issue after the upgrade.

I went into the application and told it to not use GPS for location and just put in a static zip code. The GPS no longer exhibits this issue now and the phone works well again.

I'm not sure if the API for using the GPS changed or what with the 4.4.2 upgrade but that application appeared to go into a loop of accessing the GPS on and off until the phone would freeze.

Thanks for the advice though on the reset - that would have been my next move probably. ;)

Upvote 0
I posted this elsewhere andwill delete it, if I can.

The upgrade has loaded. Now some disappointing observations.

The GPS icon was flashing a lot. Also having trouble swiping down from the top to access the Notification Panel. During the time the GPS was flashing, the S4 was heating up quite a lot and I could almost watch the battery drain. After I turned Mobile Data on then off, things went back to normal.

The battery indicator shows white instead of green for the charge amount.

I think the S4 needsd to just get used to the upgrade.

However, one more bar for phone reception.

Upvote 0
I also had several of my apps disappear after the update last night.

Today, I pulled the battery and when I turned it back on, I got an "optimizing apps" notice with a progress bar. After it was done, none of my apps returned, but Advanced Task Killer, which was one of the missing icons reappeared in my notification bar, but the icon was still missing. I was able to open my apps menu and replace the icon, but I had to re-download my brightness widget and my Drama Fever app as they were not in the apps list.

If you get the OTA update, I recommend taking screen shots of your home pages so you can figure out which icons you are missing after the update.

Upvote 0
Well I think I may have found the culprit without having to do a factory reset. I went into the location that shows application that recently used the GPS and shut them down 1 by 1. It appears the application I have named Transparent Weather Clock was the issue after the upgrade.

I went into the application and told it to not use GPS for location and just put in a static zip code. The GPS no longer exhibits this issue now and the phone works well again.

I'm not sure if the API for using the GPS changed or what with the 4.4.2 upgrade but that application appeared to go into a loop of accessing the GPS on and off until the phone would freeze.

Thanks for the advice though on the reset - that would have been my next move probably. ;)

WOW thanks for that advise about the Transparent Weather Clock. Cleared up the GPS problem right away. S4 is back to amazing as before the upgrade without having to do a hard re set....Thanks again.

Upvote 0
i hate OTA updates from the carrier. and I would suggest root+Nandroid backup. and keep a copy of your backup on a HDD or USB drive.
and once you have root, Seriously use Titanium backup. it saves system and/or user apps, AND your data/settings for each app... so you can switch OS's and go back to an older android if you want (until the newer releases are patched and more stable)
although I ONLY run custom Roms, since I've found them to almost always be faster and have more battery time.
(not to mention the freedom to do what I want with the device now) like removing all the bloatware apps. or installing google chrome as a system app instead of user app. then deleting the stock "internet" app.
I don't know how far your knowledge goes. but you where able to figure out your issue, and post on a forum.. so I know you can sucessfully root, and flash roms if you don't know how. Following the root guides found on your carriers subfourum is simple enough.
If you need help finding something on the forums send me or a senior member or even a Moderator a PM and ask.
Hope you like your GS4 as much as I do (once I unleashed it's full potential)

Upvote 0
WOW thanks for that advise about the Transparent Weather Clock. Cleared up the GPS problem right away. S4 is back to amazing as before the upgrade without having to do a hard re set....Thanks again.

This fix worked for my Note 2 as well, but the culprit was Google Play Sevices. I stopped it, saw that the gps was active again in the gps tool then uninstalled and reinstalled the updates. Everything is working great again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones