1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

The Nexus Root Toolkit

1. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Download at WugFresh

Read NZtechfreak's excellent guide for using the root kit.

Advertisement
    :
    Davdi, mazka, JS_racer and 9 others like this.
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Time to donate to Wug (again). Paypal
    sleezecheeze, VeNoMzRevenge and Atma like this.
  3. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I was just reading through his site about the root toolkit. Amazing!
  4. andoird213

andoird213 Well-Known Member

Read him tweet it yesterday. Its just as easy to do it manually, but I'd rather get it out of the way quickly so I can get right in to enjoying using the device.
  5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Updated to version 1.5.1 as the root script was stalling in 1.5, apparently.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113329792100896065459/posts/fSPdmP7Nhrh

dunjamon, colchiro and Atma like this.
  6. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

colchiro likes this.
  7. dunjamon

dunjamon Well-Known Member

If I root with 1.5.1...do I need to re-root with 1.5.2? Might sound like a bit of a stupid question...but I'm a bit of a root-noob.
  8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

If you're rooted, you're rooted. You don't need to do it again.
    dunjamon likes this.
  9. colchiro

1.5.1 wasn't up to the task of rooting me. :D

It also wanted to install Samsung drivers when I had selected my Nexus 7 (Asus).
  10. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Did you try these drivers? Others said they worked for them.
  11. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I was one of the ones who alerted WugFresh to the fact that earlier versions were stalling, can confirm new 1.5.2 version working fine (although you will still need to command prompt to enter recovery). Link to full guide with lots of pics in my sig, most here shouldn't need anything that noob-friendly though, the process is very easy even via command prompt exclusively.
    Atma and colchiro like this.
  12. colchiro

I installed PDA.net to get them. Also had the SDK installed so those probably would have worked as well. I was rooted within an hour after buying it, but it took several tries. I used this to root my SGN, but had to use the other app to root my N7. 1.5.1 seemed to use the wrong recovery.img file since it would just hang trying to load it.

Just checked after updating and it still only showed Samsung drivers. If I select the N7, it shouldn't show those drivers.

I notice each version installs in it's own folder with the version in it's name so you either need to pick that folder again when you install or uninstall the previous version. I just install each version in C:\Wugs_GnexRootToolkit
  13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

The toolkit only installs the binaries and superuser on your N7. It is only the tool. Once those are there, they will update on their own.
  14. Polarhound

Polarhound Member

Will the 64bit drivers be distributed as part of the package soon so we don't have to roll the dice on the 32bit ones?

To be on the safe side, I'm going to root from my Netbook since that has a 32bit OS on it.

Edit: Tried it on two different systems, both hanging at Checking ADB status in driver config.
    Edit 2: Finally got it to go, looks like the problem was the drivers for my Optimus V that were making things hang.
    Atma likes this.
  15. umataro42

umataro42 Well-Known Member

Worked great, and unlocked and rooted my Nexus 7.
  16. fatalysis

fatalysis Active Member

Is it a problem if I unlocked with the Samsung drivers? I followed the walkthrough and didn't mention any others, so that's what I went with. Unlocked with no issues.

Also, can anyone confirm that you can now watch movies from the Play store if you're rooted? I'm holding off on rooting until this has been fixed.
  17. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

Also, I was updated to JR003D and that is not listed, only the original and the JR003C (1st update), going with the C version anyway.

Status to follow:
    EDIT: Had problems with this, didn't seem to work and hung up. Started over with the manual root process rather than use this tool. I think it might be because of the JR003D, which is the latest update from Google. The JR003C selection and it was no go.

Unlocked and rooted, using the stock recovery so I won't have to mess with it when updates are available. cwm is good, just don't want to have to keep undoing it to get the updates.
    VeNoMzRevenge likes this.
  18. VeNoMzRevenge

VeNoMzRevenge Well-Known Member

i have JRO03D on my Nexus. Hope this works.
  19. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

Bump so people can see it's updated. See my edits, Venom.
    VeNoMzRevenge likes this.
  20. colchiro

If it worked, I wouldn't sweat it. You may have already installed drivers thru other means or maybe the Samsung drivers also work on this.
    fatalysis likes this.
  21. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Took me an extra day but I'm rooted, updated and ready to rock. :D
  22. bjtcars

bjtcars Well-Known Member

I was going to root manually especially where I had the JRO03D build number as well but I figured what the heck give it a shot and it worked great. I used the JRO03C build on the toolkit.
  23. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I've loaded the root kit on two different PCs now, and it hasn't worked properly on either one.

The automatic driver installation failed both times, so I did the manual driver installation - which worked, but all of the sanity checks ("list adb devices", "boot into boot loader") failed. Even though ADB works perfectly on both PCs when I run it from the command line, the root kit doesn't seem to show anything.

Doesn't matter, I suppose. I've rooted and unlocked all previous devices through the command line, and it took less time than fiddling with the root toolkit. Just thought I'd try a new tool - I guess that's what I get for doing something different :D
  24. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

IF THE PROGRAM IS STALLING ON YOU (FOR ADB CHECK):

1. Restart the toolkit
    2. On the main interface hit the "Launch" button to open Advanced utilities
    3. In the advanced utilities interface; hit the "Launch CMD Prompt" button
    4. Type the following cmd Code:
      adb start-server
    5. Now you should be able to use any of the utilities in the toolkit without it stalling.
    This extra step is just a temporary solution, until I release v1.5.3; then this won't be necessary.

From WugFresh

I also read there is an officlal release of CWM out now he will be adding in the next version.
  25. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Well-Known Member

This tool good for 4.1.1?