The Nexus Root Toolkit

1. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Yes, under model type choose JRO03C. It will still work even if you have D.
  2. shaneydroid

shaneydroid Well-Known Member

I normally go the command line route for such things but gave this a try and it was just too easy :)

Didn't bother with guides, just read the site, downloaded and did the deed.

Rooted, returned to stock and rooted again without issues.
  3. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with easy.

Save your brain for something challenging, like what'd I do with my car keys. :D
  4. shaneydroid

Exactly :) Takes away the stress after mis-typing the same command 3 times in a row etc :)

I will be doing all future business with the N7 through this brilliant tool.
  5. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Well-Known Member

Hmmm can i root it first, backup everything with TB, then unlock?
  6. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

TB won't run without root, you should first use the Root Kit option to back everything up, unlock it, root it, then restore your backup.
  7. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

You can root without unlocking. There's a guide in the galaxy nexus all things root section. Should apply I would think.....
  8. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

But unlocking erases your sdcard so you'd have to back that up too.

Easier just to let WUG's do all the work for you. :D
  9. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

Okay, I'm new to Nexus but I read on here somewhere that you had to unlock to root, I never had saw that before but each android device is different and this is my first Nexus device.
    So do you or don't you have to unlock to root?
    When they say locked and unlocked I assume they're talking about the boot loader? If so why even put a locked boot loader on a device that can be unlocked?:confused:
  10. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

So the people who don't know what they're doing don't break stuff lol

But yeah, rooting without unlocking seems difficult, and I can't find the post on how to do it.
  11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 VIP Member

I read that the backup and restore option can be used without root with the galaxy nexus. I can find the link later today.

But it looked promising. Assuming it worked on the n7 too, you could use it to keep your stuff safe whilst you root and wipe.
  12. shaneydroid

I don't know about a nandroid backup but I did the regular backup (user apps and system apps) before rooting.
  13. sleezecheeze

sleezecheeze Well-Known Member

Where you select the model and droid version, there is an option for

Nexus 7 4.1.1 JRO03C

Well I have;

Nexus 7 4.1.1 JRO03D

Should I just use the 'C' option and hope for the best or will this effect the unlocking and rooting process?
  14. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Yes, C will work fine. He is adding D in the next update.
    sleezecheeze likes this.
  15. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

So, installing the drivers installed pda.net on my computer and N7. Can I uninstall pda.net without affecting the drivers it installed? Can I still use the root toolkit program if I uninstall pda.net?
  16. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I think I read you can uninstall pda.net and still have the drivers but I haven't tried it.

I just bought another one after sending my last one back for refund about 10 days ago, but I remember often having to reinstall the drivers when I wanted to do something with the Toolkit. I had a problem with ADB finding it unless I did that.

As soon as my new one charges up I'll be doing it again. :D
  17. VeNoMzRevenge

VeNoMzRevenge Well-Known Member

This toolkit is the most awesome thing i have ever used when rooting. Already saved my butt from my stupid experiments. Its just too easy.

I can't throw my money at this dev fast enough.
  18. boofer

boofer Well-Known Member

nevermind!
  19. Xyro

I had the same problem. I'd recommend uninstalling all of the drivers, using that tool the root kit links you to, and then installing the windows component of pdanet (a tethering app).

I'd heard it was a pretty reliable way to get adb drivers working, and it did work for me first time.
  20. boofer

boofer Well-Known Member

nevermind!
  21. Xyro

Yeah, that was the tool I used to remove all of the USB drivers. I uninstalled anything to do with android, Asus or Google.

I'm not sure about that error though. I don't even think I had my tablet plugged in until after pdanet finished installing, so it wouldn't need to connect.
  22. boofer

boofer Well-Known Member

nevermind. changed the USB port and it worked.
    Xyro likes this.
  23. gra2316

gra2316 Well-Known Member