1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

The Official Accessory ThreadTips

1. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

I have one of those for use with both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. It's wonderful! :)
  2. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

Coolness!
  3. mrsmumbles

mrsmumbles Well-Known Member

If you're not rooted what app/"3rd party software" would you use? Thanks!
  4. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

I'm a little confused by your question. An app for extra storage?

You could use any cloud service. Drive, copy, Dropbox, box; all of those offer a free mobile app along with your account.

Also the card reader I linked to will work as well. None of these options require root.

This phone also supports usb on the go I believe without root. Which is similar to the product I linked but less portable and uses usb sticks rather than a micro sd card.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. mrsmumbles

On the linked product page, it says if you're not rooted you'll need to use the card reader with a "3rd party software". I'm not sure what they mean by that. Thanks. :)
    Brian706 likes this.
  6. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

Ah, I see what you are talking about now. I had missed that. :)

SOURCE

Note that Nexus Media Importer is not free but doing a search on Google Play for "usb otg" returned non rooted free results as well. Here's one for example: OTG Disk Explorer Lite
    fisterkev, Ranhead and shelliewnj like this.
  7. mrsmumbles

Thanks very much for all this! Extremely helpful! :thumbup::beer::)
  8. zenicanin

zenicanin Well-Known Member

Oh man you weren't kidding! This case is extremely slippery, much more than the phone. I thought the back would be a little more rubbery but it slides right off of my orb charger. I am disappoint. :( It looks freaking awesome for a case so not sure what to do yet.
  9. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

I had someone ask me when I was getting a case for my new phone this week. If you didn't know what the phone looked like without one, you might not realize it had a case on it.

Also, I LOVE the way the buttons feel...it really is a nice feel. Not sure if I will keep it on long term though. I really baby my phones, but do prefer something sturdier for occasional time it slips out of my hand.
  10. captain_hug99

captain_hug99 Member

I bought this in hopes that it was a random thing, mine fits just right.
  11. rhray

rhray Well-Known Member

So I got a new case today.

I had had this one before:Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for LG Nexus 5 - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories and it was okay, was a little more bulky than I had hoped and very flexible which made it difficult for me to pull out of my pocket because the edges would pull way from the phone. TPU cases are hit and miss and this one certainly wasn't bad but wasn't working for me.

The new case, The Spigen Ultra Slim version with clear plastic: Amazon.com: [360
    shelliewnj likes this.
  12. MKeditor

MKeditor Well-Known Member

UPDATE: I've had this case for a week or so now. It protects the phone fine. I thought the clear back was getting scratched bad...until I read that it has a protective film. I removed it and it looks fine now. I don't like how the buttons feel though. I will replace this case if I find one that has buttons that respond better.
  13. zenicanin

zenicanin Well-Known Member

14. rhray

rhray Well-Known Member

Hard plastic, slippery if your hands are dry, slides on cloth. It's crystal clear too
  15. mysticalnyte

mysticalnyte Well-Known Member

....but the back is a fingerprint magnet as well. I'm using it til the official ones drop.

Oh, and I ponied up for the official wireless charger. Currently I'm using the Nokia DT-900 and it works good, but...but...SHINY!
  16. Hook

Damn. So did I. :rolleyes::D
  17. Hook

18. mrsmumbles

What do you think of the official LG/Google cases? I think they went on sale today.
  19. Hook

I expect them to be quite nice, actually, although, again, I wish they were just bumpers. I think they will be form fitting and this retain much that is nice about the shape of the phone. They are over-priced, which seems to be Google's way. Affordable phones, over-priced accessories. Still, I'm ordering the black one. ;)
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. justanotherguy

justanotherguy Well-Known Member

Is a 'bumper' case just a silicone jacket....? Or is it just a thin plastic shell...?
    I get confused..
    Thanks
  21. Hook

A bumper wraps around the edges and maybe has enough edge to lift the screen if you place it face down. It doesn't cover the back. Like bumpers on cars, they don't help that much against high impact but will cushion against minor drops and bumps of normal handling.
    justanotherguy and mrsmumbles like this.
  22. Hook

Received my wireless charger. Haven't really seen or used any others so I can't really compare, but this thing is exquisite. Nice, solid black square wit a slightly tacky underside that anchors it to any surface you put it on (pulls up fine and leaves nothing behind, just gives it a very firm grip on the surface). The smooth top acts like a magnet to the back of the Nexus 5. Again, you can pull it back up, but you aren't going to accidentally knock the Nexus 5 off the table.

It charges pretty fast and worked with the Spigen Ultra Hybrid case on, which has pretty thick plastic across the back.

All in all, a very nice piece of kit and I'm very happy I bought it. :D
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  23. mrsmumbles

Just wondering, when you put your n5 on the charger is there any indication or notification like a little flash screen or sound on the phone when charging when the battery is still above 90% ? Someone was asking about this elsewhere. Thanks! :)
  24. Hook

Basically, if it is below 100%, the screen comes on and the lightning bolt appears over the battery. If it is 100%, nothing happens, the screen doesn't even come on.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  25. mrsmumbles

Oh cool, thanks. So if the battery is 90% to 99% the screen should come on for at least a second or whatever.