• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Official "Can someone please get us an Update.zip" Thread.

Why does flashing an update give better performance than an upgrade? This doesn't make sense to me. If the upgrade is replacing the same files as the flashed update and just reinstalling the unchanged files all should come out the same. What am I missing? The hassle of re-setting up my home screens is almost enough to make me wait for the OTA but if there really is a performance improvement from flashing I might be willing to do it.

Because its like an upgrading to Windows 7 compared to a clean installation, the clean installation will almost always run smoother.

EDIT: Or u can wait for the OTA & the hard reset, it would have the same effect performance wise.

Upvote 0
Indeed! And I'm surprised he didn't brick, after all "every other topoc at xda is about how their phone eas bricked by it."

:rolleyes:

Actually they're more like panic postings. LOL! They never bricked you just have to expect longer boots on the first boot up, and or your phone just might not be happy and you have to do a restore. Just like my phone didn't like Sky Raider. Oh well...:eek:

Edit to add: Not to say there weren't a few bricks. Just not every other posting.

Upvote 0
Look, if you have waited this long, ignoring everyone telling you to root and install leaked Froyo ROMs and now the OFFICIAL RUU, you can wait a little longer for your OTA update to hit your phone.

If you don't want to wait another 1-5 days, there are PLENTY of threads in the All Things Root forum detailing how to root and install the RUU or the rom.zip extracted from the RUU. It's not rocket science and if you can follow simple instructions you won't brick your phone.

ROOT and install it now or wait for the OTA to hit your phone. Those are your options.

Upvote 0
There is another option -

We can sit in this thread, titled "The Official "Can someone please get us an Update.zip" Thread. " and read posts from uber geeks ranting about rooting and installing an unofficial "Official RUU."

There is only ONE official update and that is the OTA from Verizon. No matter how many people call the RUU 'official', it doesn't become official. The RUU wipes your phone, the real update (Verizon's OTA) doesn't wipe your phone.

As an aside - I have been a geek since before the majority in here were born.

Upvote 0
There is another option -

We can sit in this thread, titled "The Official "Can someone please get us an Update.zip" Thread. " and read posts from uber geeks ranting about rooting and installing an unofficial "Official RUU."

There is only ONE official update and that is the OTA from Verizon. No matter how many people call the RUU 'official', it doesn't become official. The RUU wipes your phone, the real update (Verizon's OTA) doesn't wipe your phone.

You should stop posting about things you don't know anything about. Like this.

Upvote 0
i've got the OTA notice. i didn't update yet as i was gonna use this method; however, there is NO update.zip file ANYWHERE.

any thoughts before i get too impatient and update without trying harder? lol cuz i'm getting close.

Please do this

1. When/if you see the notification that you have an update available -- stop everything and run the aLogcat app.

2. Send the log file to yourself via email (that's built into the app)

Look through the log file on your computer, searching for a URL

3. Try any URL's that you find on your computer's browser

When you find one that downloads a zip file, save the zip file to your computer

4. Shout from the rooftops, and share that URL

5.Then upload and mirror it somewhere

(Thanks to the xda forums for the info!)
The URL should be from a Google address I think.

Upvote 0

Really so you were around when the first PC vs. Apple arguments were starting? I was in one of them when I was 13yo with my kid brother. That was not a pretty one. I lost that's probably why I'm a PC, and he's a MAC.LOL! But I could write code way better than him I shoulda got the computer not him. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones