The Official Fallout Thread

Last Updated:

1. Nowiser

Nowiser Member

Oh man... thinking about the originals is really making me nostalgic! May be odd to some, I am 23 and grew up on the original Duke Nukem side scroller, then finally the 3d ones! (still have 9 of them I think, need ot bust em out) and Descent! I wish they still made games like that. Back when the content matter, not just graphics. Although, Fallout 3/NV didnt disappoint because it is essentially a sandbox.

Advertisement
  2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

Yeah, graphics are good, but some people usually judge a game on that and if they don't like the graphics they don't get it you know? I love fallout and especially for the atmosphere, music, and setting. I don't find it odd at all. :)
    I love both NV and Fallout 3, but IMO I liked Fallout 3 a little more.
    Did you find the remnants power armor in NV?
  3. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I'd probably still be playing 2 if I didn't screw up my quest path.... shouldn't have went agro and killed that guy .... oops. ;)

I agree, fallout 3 had something more - profound about it. It was so new. NV really was the same game in a different locale with some changes. It's still awesome, but not as new. That being said, I really wanna get back into my NV character.

And Nowiser, you could probably get the GOTY new vegas pretty cheap.... :D

-------------
    Okay, here's my favorite part of Fallout 3. Very minor spoilers..... Not really quest wise, just location....

-------

Near megaton, there is that old school. My first encounter, I was looking for a place to chill. I had just bought a few rounds of ammo at Megaton and was looking for some easy encounters to level up. I thought, 'hey, that looks like a pretty good place for some loot' but little did I know, it was also a great raider hang out. :eek:

I slowly but surely killed them all.

Is it just me, or was F3 harder than NV. In F3, I was always struggling for ammo at the start. In NV ammo seemed much easier to come by. ??? *shrugs*
    Metroid Prime likes this.
  4. Metroid Prime

Yeah, ammo in NV is way easier to come by then it is in F3.
    I find it very easy to make caps in NV since if you come by some combat armor and just go back to the Gun runners armory near NV you can make some very easy caps.
    Fallout 3 to me had more of a wasteland feel to it than NV.
  5. Nowiser

Nowiser Member

Well I just bought F3 GOTY because I played it on 360 when it first came out, so now i bought it for PC and I will be running through that again. Then maybe NV, but I only have till Aug. 28th. Then I will be trying some GW2. I am an mmo junkie at heart, they give me so much more play time!
  6. bplusshoe

bplusshoe Active Member

Never got into Fallout 1 much. Played the crap out of 3 though. The soundtrack is what kept me exploring the game world!
  7. Metroid Prime

Yeah, I loved fallout 3's soundtrack! :D
  8. 9to5cynic

I'm trying to remember how far I got on Fallout 1, I'm pretty sure I spent *way* more time on 2...

I picked up the combo pack with 1,2 and tactics in it --- I wish I was better at tactics. It's fun, but I'm quite lousy.

Yeah, NV is pretty easy. And if you get the GOTY, you start with some good weapons and gear.... too much. I think I was nearly over-encumbered at the start of my play through. That could also be because I always go high perception and agility and skip out on strength. :)
  9. Metroid Prime

lol I got the Fallout collection as well. On my NV I start out with the armored vault suit, the vault cantine and the weathered 10MM pistol. I usually try to get my strength up to 10 and try to level out my other Special skills. I am around level 20 and I already have the best power armor in the game. :p
    I can tell you about it if you want. :)
  10. 9to5cynic

I felt like I was cheating starting the game with all this leet loot... so I sold it. Then I had boat loads of caps, and again, felt like I was cheating... :(

So when I finally got a chest to use, I dumped my payola in there. :D

They really are fun games. :D
  11. 9to5cynic

Okay, so I picked up Fallout 3 GOTY today. Ahhh... the nostalgia! :D

The vault escape is fun. What a cool opening. And is that Ellen Page voice acting as Amata? I didn't catch that the first time through.

I'm just an hour or two in, but I had a nice little Raider encounter...
    This is a location very near the Vault 101 exit, and my favorite place for raiders. There's a broken down semi and an destroyed overpass. There are also a half dozen raiders scattered around the area. I killed four or five of them. Half my health was gone, and my ammo was running low. I didn't have enough to continue on.... so my adventure ended there for the day.

Back in Megaton I visited the Clinic and supply store. I've got a bit of scratch left, but I'm fully loaded. It's odd, I remember this part of the game from when I first played Fallout 3 back in ... '08??? Wow. Well, it does seem easier. And I didn't start with hardly anything. No super gear like you get in NV. Maybe my skillz have increased ;)
  12. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

If your around megaton, don't forget to fix the water leaks and pick up the sniper rifle & ammo from the hollow rock around the outside of MT.
    9to5cynic likes this.
  13. Metroid Prime

Fixed the water leaks, but never knew about the Sniper Ammo. Don't forget about the Strength Bobblehead inside Lucas Sims' house.
  14. 9to5cynic

I didn't know about the ammo either. I'll have to borrow that.

You know, I actually was a sucker and bought the Official Guide when it came out with the game. It was the first one I bought since I was a kid playing pokemon. :eek:

And I actually looked at it a bit last night. Worth it? not sure. But I have it so I'll use it.

I'll have to find that hollowed out rock though. Good call.
  15. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

It's easy enough to find, position yourself facing the MT entrance.
    Head around to the left, and follow until your at about 11q o'clock from where you started, look for a big rock with a spray logo on it with a broken small tree next to it.

I also try to get to the big store early on as you can raid that for tons of food/weaps/armour/ammo once you killed the raiders, (watch out for the ones that come back) and you can gain a bit in sneak skill.
    9to5cynic likes this.
  16. 9to5cynic

Hmm... I'll have to check out that hidden spot, I looked a bit and I must have went by it (it was night out though :p )

I can't wait till the next one, I'm guessing it'll have the new engine beth used in skyrim... can't wait for some super dynamic quests. :D And I personally prefer the skyrim level system (use it to level up)... I always forget what to level up at each level. Oh well, such a fun game.

And I still think Fallout 3 is way more intense than NV. It's nice to always be nearly out of ammo and almost dying. Then to kill a raider and get some gear to sell for stimpacks. :D

And for anyone in the Megaton area, a bit north of Vault 101, there is a wrecked highway. There will be a semi. In this area are a bunch of raiders. But a bit past that overpass is a broken up barn. Inside that barn is a hunting rifle and ammo (along with a mini nuke). Enjoy ;)
  17. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase Guide

Man fallout 3 was amazing. I mean Vegas was good...but 3 was superior. And let's not forget the add-ons. Especially that one. With the dolls. And the really creepy swamp people...that place....creeped me out!
  18. Metroid Prime

Oh yeah, Point lookout. That place was kinda eerie...
    If you find all the keller family transcripts and you go to this one place you can find the experimental MIRV which is a fat-man that shoots like 8 or 12 mini-nukes. :D
  19. 9to5cynic

I'll have to give the hidden loot another look tonight....

Now for a story....
    I was going to try and scout out the Supermart last night. I get there and take a shot on a raider. Now, I've got like 11 shots with my 10mm, and about that much with my hunting rifle. So I should be good right. Almost at full health too by the way. Well, I place a couple of shots on the raider with my silenced 10mm, and run around the corner. Oh no, there was a second raider. That's okay, I should be good. Well, my AP is almost back up to full when the first raider shows up. Uh, that looks like a fatman, yep. So I unload on the arm to try to cripple it (hoping the raider won't be able to fire). Fail. Mini nuke coming my way. Dead.

;) I still don't think I've died in my current NV run through.... :D What a great game.
  20. Metroid Prime

Wow! a raider had the fatman!? Dang, that's bad news. :p
    Did you try to hack the Protectron in the mart? That could help against those nasty raiders. :)
  21. 9to5cynic

Lol I didn't even get inside :eek:

So after I died that way, I explored a bit. I was still level 3 at the time, I've done the 'disarm the bomb' quest and the one quest in the bar. Ran into Enclave soldiers already :eek: I was like "whoa!" :)
  22. Metroid Prime

Dang that's terrible. I think in one play through I got killed by a plasma pistol at level 2 or 3! Super Duper Mart is one of my favorite locations as well as evergreen mills.
  23. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase Guide

You know whats fun in fallout 3? Get the MIRV. Aim at your feet. Shoot. Watch how high you go in the air (Granted, you die.)
  24. Metroid Prime

lol I did that except it wasn't the MIRV, but a regular fatman right before I started a new playthrough. :p