• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Official Huawei Mercury Dumb Questions Thread

Here's a question about the phone I can't figure out. At the top of the phone.
Why does the Signal strength bar (as well as where it says 3g next to it) change colors? It's either greenish yellow, or sometimes white. I can't tell why it switches. Doesn't seem to have to do with signal or Battery.

If anyone knows please let me know.
Thanks
It only turns green when syncing with Google services. If you turn background data off, it never turns green.

Reactions: fihab and nimoxp
Upvote 0
Really? Because when its in plain white there is no connectivity, same for wifi. I wait till it turns green and then it works flawlessly. If i try to access anything while its in white in 3G/WiFi it will just keep 'loading'.

Yeah mine is like yours. When I turn off my background data and it's white, I have no Internet connection. I have to be on green to have internet. This is thru 3g though...haven't tried wifi.

Upvote 0
Yeah mine is like yours. When I turn off my background data and it's white, I have no Internet connection. I have to be on green to have internet. This is thru 3g though...haven't tried wifi.
You shouldn't need background data on to use 3G. That just keeps your apps from using data in the background. I keep it off most of the time because: 1. With only 1GB of data, I don't need my apps using data without me. 2. It saves battery. 3. I don't use twitter or Facebook, and I'm ok just manually checking my e mail a couple times a day, so it doesn't really effect me. I realize most people can't do that. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the background data under settings> accounts & sync, NOT the main data connection. If you guys can't use 3G without the bars being green, I don't know what the heck is going on with that. As long as the 3G symbol is there, you should be able to connect.

Reactions: nimoxp
Upvote 0
You shouldn't need background data on to use 3G. That just keeps your apps from using data in the background. I keep it off most of the time because: 1. With only 1GB of data, I don't need my apps using data without me. 2. It saves battery. 3. I don't use twitter or Facebook, and I'm ok just manually checking my e mail a couple times a day, so it doesn't really effect me. I realize most people can't do that. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the background data under settings> accounts & sync, NOT the main data connection. If you guys can't use 3G without the bars being green, I don't know what the heck is going on with that. As long as the 3G symbol is there, you should be able to connect.

Oh, ok, I got you now. When I turn off that back ground data that your talking about it does let me use the internet. Guess since you never leave yours on, you haven't seen what we have. Every once in awhile with the BGD on it turns white and there is no internet connection. I think that it's just when we are in a bad signal situation, or something to that affect..

Upvote 0
Oh, ok, I got you now. When I turn off that back ground data that your talking about it does let me use the internet. Guess since you never leave yours on, you haven't seen what we have. Every once in awhile with the BGD on it turns white and there is no internet connection. I think that it's just when we are in a bad signal situation, or something to that affect..
I know what you're talking about, but it still _should_ work as long as you have enough signal to show the 3G icon. Next time it won't let you connect, try this: pull down the notification bar and turn off the data toggle for a second, them turn it back on and see if it works. I've had that happen a couple of times, where it said I had a signal and when I tried to connect I would just get an error message and the arrows didn't do anything. A quick data toggle always fixed it right away.

Upvote 0
I read in a post that we only get 1GB of data a month thru cricket. So I ask what happens after the data is used up for the month?
They slow down your connection, also known as throttling. With Cricket, just using the internet doesn't feel that much slower, where you notice the biggest difference is YouTube will freeze and buffer all the time, and downloading anything takes forever. Speeds return to normal after your next billing cycle begins.

Reactions: Sonasam
Upvote 0
I haven't noticed that, I can't test it since I'm being throttled now and don't have wifi. I have noticed that if you go to "My Apps" in the market, there is an option to update YouTube. I haven't tried it, I usually don't update apps unless I see a good reason because sometimes the updates are worse. When I had a rooted phone I used to back the old versions up with Titanium Backup just in case. It's cool they have that option, though, on my old phone you couldn't update any of the pre installed apps.
BTW, there's also the option to update the Adobe Flash to version 11. Has anybody updated, and is it ok?

Upvote 0
This one is kind of silly but when I am typing on some input fields like Facebook or others the field itself is under the keyboard so I can't see what i'm typing.
Which is annoying enough but the real problem is when I have to correct something and do a while juggling act to get the curser to the right place.
This doesn't happen with all input fields. For instance, I can see this one fine. And my text messages are good.
Rotating the phone doesn't help. It just makes the fields longer but still under the keyboard.
Anyone know how to change this?
I use GoLauncher Pro, the stock Swype kb and Dolphin browser.

Upvote 0
Where are all the former ascend users? I expected 2 see more people on this forum! Hopefully a dev'll bless us.
The thing is, there were a lot more Ascend users on Metro than Cricket, and most of them went to the Esteem or the Admire. Go look at any of the forums for Cricket only phones, and they are all pretty deserted. The Admire on Metro and the Vitality on Cricket are the same phone, and the Vitality forum has barely even been used, while the Admire forum is thriving. I think this forum probably actually has more activity than any of the other Cricket only phones. Maybe when the Honor comes to AT&T we will have some crossover with those guys. But look on the bright side, at least we haven't been swamped with complaints, so most people must be pretty happy with their Mercury. I just hope this phone sells well or Cricket will probably not bother with trying to get any more high end (for them, anyway) phones.

Upvote 0
The thing is, there were a lot more Ascend users on Metro than Cricket, and most of them went to the Esteem or the Admire. Go look at any of the forums for Cricket only phones, and they are all pretty deserted. The Admire on Metro and the Vitality on Cricket are the same phone, and the Vitality forum has barely even been used, while the Admire forum is thriving. I think this forum probably actually has more activity than any of the other Cricket only phones. Maybe when the Honor comes to AT&T we will have some crossover with those guys. But look on the bright side, at least we haven't been swamped with complaints, so most people must be pretty happy with their Mercury. I just hope this phone sells well or Cricket will probably not bother with trying to get any more high end (for them, anyway) phones.

There's actually a lot of Cricket Ascend owners... Damn near everyone I've met in Phoenix either owns one or has owned one. For the most part, they don't even recognize it as a smartphone. Half of them don't even know what Android is...

But I may be joining you all very soon and blessing you with my sarcasm and bullshit. :)

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
There's actually a lot of Cricket Ascend owners... Damn near everyone I've met in Phoenix either owns one or has owned one. For the most part, they don't even recognize it as a smartphone. Half of them don't even know what Android is...

But I may be joining you all very soon and blessing you with my sarcasm and bullshit. :)
Come on over, the more the merrier. I think you'll find the Mercury is just *slightly* faster than the Ascend lol.

Reactions: Can0dope
Upvote 0
Hello guys.
Just got my Mercury and I'm a little bit confused as I can't seem to just use Wi-fi over 3G?

As in I have wi-fi enabled and connected, but somehow the phone still uses the 3G network.

*EDIT*
Ah and one more thing, it seems connecting a pair of earphones/earbuds to the phone without and in-line mic disables the mic itself on the phone when on Skype or any other VoIP app (or call for that matter)?
Is there a way to rectify this?

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones