• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The OFFICIAL US LG G3 Thread!!!

If it's a family plan, I would be surprised if they didn't allow the phone to be swapped to a different number under the same account. Sprint has no issues with that happening, even if it's the same day that the phone is transferred to a different line.

Right, but it has to be activated on the line used to upgrade, then switched to the other line.

Upvote 0
In the the intro thread some mentioned grainy text in gmail and some websites. I went to sprint today to try out g3 and could. Not find grainy text. Could someone cite examples or show a screenshot illustrating it?

My G3 is the best, clearest display of any of its type that I've had. Even on the smallest fonts on desktop sites it's fantastically clear. For that reason alone I'm happy to have it's very hi-res.

Upvote 0
In the the intro thread some mentioned grainy text in gmail and some websites. I went to sprint today to try out g3 and could. Not find grainy text. Could someone cite examples or show a screenshot illustrating it?

That was me dude: ;)

http://androidforums.com/6643062-post3835.html

If I still had the G3,I'd post some screenshots.

Definitely a case of YMMV,that's why I don't go full-blown negative on such things.

I hope that I am in the minority here on this,but,from my vantage point,the G3 took a back-seat to the 1+1 & HTC ONE M8 in the display dept.
Not to be piling on,but,IMHO,the LG G-FLEX has a better display than the G3,even with its 720p resolution.

Could have been a lemon,it happens. :dontknow:
Just for curiousity sake,next time I'm out & about & near a store that has a G3 demo available,I'll take a look,but,only a look,as I'm quite pleased w/the two phones I have.

Upvote 0
That was me dude: ;)

http://androidforums.com/6643062-post3835.html

If I still had the G3,I'd post some screenshots.

Definitely a case of YMMV,that's why I don't go full-blown negative on such things.

I hope that I am in the minority here on this,but,from my vantage point,the G3 took a back-seat to the 1+1 & HTC ONE M8 in the display dept.
Not to be piling on,but,IMHO,the LG G-FLEX has a better display than the G3,even with its 720p resolution.

Could have been a lemon,it happens. :dontknow:
Just for curiousity sake,next time I'm out & about & near a store that has a G3 demo available,I'll take a look,but,only a look,as I'm quite pleased w/the two phones I have.

I am happy u r happy.

G3 screen is so-so out of the box, but with a very few tweaks it is brilliant.

could be a lemon, yes. because mine is exceeding my expectations.

well, enjoy your poor man G3 1+1 :p

good to see you :)

Upvote 0
I am seeing no signs of grainy text. Love the screen My DNA had an awesome screen when it came out, but nothing like the G3.

After having the phone for almost 24 hours now, the only thing in question is battery life. Otherwise the phone exceeds my expectations on every level.
My battery life is definitely better than my DNA, but this battery is fresh, compared to 18 months old in the DNA.

Upvote 0
My battery life is definitely better than my DNA, but this battery is fresh, compared to 18 months old in the DNA.

Those are my exact thoughts. I am trying to remember what the battery life was like when the DNA was new 18 months ago. It was better than now, that's for sure.

But that's why I like phones with replaceable batteries. I'll probably slap a new one in the G3 in 6 months or so.

Upvote 0
Spent a couple days with my new G3. Here are my first impressions:

1) Seriously, I dont know why everyone was upset about lag, because on my handset, there isnt much to speak of! No stuttering, no skipping, no slowness...nothing. Oh, sure, the Smart Notice/clock widget will load slowly, but really, a LOT of widgets will do that. It's NOT catastrophic by any means!

2) Brightness. Another thing people were upset about initially. My question is: why? Again, not a huge deal. I didn't notice any substantial dimness on my handset. If auto brightness isn't your thing, untick it in settings. Do that, and the display gets pretty bright at 60%, where I have it set. I can only imagine cranking it to 100%. Yikes! But anyway, it's not worth all the upset, really. It's fine. At least to me.

3) Special features. This phone has quite a bit. Knock code is my favorite, and it works well. Just don't knock on the screen too hard: the phone will not register the knocks properly. Tapping the screen will do. As far as Smart Notice, well, it's not bad. It's not always 100% accurate, however. For instance on a day it was downpouring, it told me it was merely cloudy. No suggestion to get an umbrella, to say the least! So it needs work. But it does get it right I'd say about 80% of the time.

4) Taking pictures. Okay, I haven't taken many. The ones I HAVE taken showed depth and quality that my former iPhone 5s did not have. I personally cannot wait to take some videos with this one.

5) Battery life. Nothing earth shattering. I'd say it's pretty average, actually. The Note 3 honestly had a better battery lifespan, if only a couple hours difference. But I must emphasize thay the battery life is NOT HORRIBLE. It's average compared to other Android phones. Certainly not as bad as the iPhone 5s! Not by a long shot!

So there you have it! If I've missed anything, please feel free to ask. :)

Upvote 0
Since I have the note 3 (which is the best phone I've ever owned) battery life that is less is a step back. Funny, the screen of the g3 at sprint looked good to me. No lag but I have a hundred apps to slow it down. I really like the size of the g3 since my note is a little too big.

My hope was to get a cheaper plan at tmobile and keep my note 3 on unlimited at vzw and alternate phones. Sounds ridiculous I know but my only other vice is flashlights. Anyway, tmobile is not as cheap as it sounds in ads if you want a reasonable amount of data. Forget about it if you also want to use wifi hotspot. I also looked into adding a line at vzw but that was also too expensive so no g3 for me.... For now... I really liked playing with it so if I figure out how to add a line without getting killed on data cost I will.

Tmobile users.. Are you well warned before data allotment runs out so you don't go over? I could always go with the cheapest plan and just use it one week a month or something. I'm definitely keeping the note 3 though

Upvote 0
My problem with this phone is the theme. Its ugly, bright and sometimes uses awful colors. In the system itself it shows a light and dark theme for the UI and the keyboard, however using launcher activities to enable this only works on the keyboard. Last complaint is this skin just seems to rob you of the android i"m in control experience...

The hardware is great though. Love the screen and after i ditched the home launcher for GOOGLE NOW launcher, removed window animations and made the gpu handle 2d loads in the dev settings my battery is way better.

Upvote 0
My problem with this phone is the theme. Its ugly, bright and sometimes uses awful colors. In the system itself it shows a light and dark theme for the UI and the keyboard, however using launcher activities to enable this only works on the keyboard. Last complaint is this skin just seems to rob you of the android i"m in control experience...

The hardware is great though. Love the screen and after i ditched the home launcher for GOOGLE NOW launcher, removed window animations and made the gpu handle 2d loads in the dev settings my battery is way better.

Wow. You think the default theme is bright? I felt the colors were somewhat muted, myself.

Upvote 0

What is this '2d loads' you speak of? New to me, but I'm always curious if there is an easy battery tweak.

Upvote 0
Spent a couple days with my new G3. Here are my first impressions:

1) Seriously, I dont know why everyone was upset about lag, because on my handset, there isnt much to speak of! No stuttering, no skipping, no slowness...nothing. Oh, sure, the Smart Notice/clock widget will load slowly, but really, a LOT of widgets will do that. It's NOT catastrophic by any means!

I noticed very slight lag, but not really bothersome to me. And not enough that I need to replace. The lag I noticed was in the screen just stalling. I'm more in the mindset that, if it were bad, I bet a hard reset would cure.

2) Brightness. Another thing people were upset about initially. My question is: why? Again, not a huge deal. I didn't notice any substantial dimness on my handset. If auto brightness isn't your thing, untick it in settings. Do that, and the display gets pretty bright at 60%, where I have it set. I can only imagine cranking it to 100%. Yikes! But anyway, it's not worth all the upset, really. It's fine. At least to me.

I concur 100%. That is why I made the thread about the difference between auto toggled and not. Most people are used to phones that de-toggle auto brightness when moving the slider, which is where I think most people feel the G3 isn't bright, not realizing that brightness goes even higher when de-toggling auto.

3) Special features. This phone has quite a bit. Knock code is my favorite, and it works well. Just don't knock on the screen too hard: the phone will not register the knocks properly. Tapping the screen will do. As far as Smart Notice, well, it's not bad. It's not always 100% accurate, however. For instance on a day it was downpouring, it told me it was merely cloudy. No suggestion to get an umbrella, to say the least! So it needs work. But it does get it right I'd say about 80% of the time.

I have never been a fan of OEM weather apps. I concur about knock on and knock off. Love that feature.

4) Taking pictures. Okay, I haven't taken many. The ones I HAVE taken showed depth and quality that my former iPhone 5s did not have. I personally cannot wait to take some videos with this one.

Haven't shot enough to compare with the Note 3,but I am not as critical with this area, so I probably wouldn't be a good judge anyway.

5) Battery life. Nothing earth shattering. I'd say it's pretty average, actually. The Note 3 honestly had a better battery lifespan, if only a couple hours difference. But I must emphasize thay the battery life is NOT HORRIBLE. It's average compared to other Android phones. Certainly not as bad as the iPhone 5s! Not by a long shot!

So there you have it! If I've missed anything, please feel free to ask. :)

I had mentioned in another thread, but the extra couple hours falls in line with the 3300mah (Note 3) vs. 3000mah (G3). Seems like such a small difference, but can play a factor.

Reactions: pandacookie
Upvote 0
Tmobile users.. Are you well warned before data allotment runs out so you don't go over? I could always go with the cheapest plan and just use it one week a month or something. I'm definitely keeping the note 3 though

I'm quite happy with my G3, yet I must say I simply can't give up my Note 3.

The small difference between the 5.7" and 5.5" display is enough that it makes the Note 3 a keeper for me. Ideally for my preferences I'd really enjoy a 6.0" display. That would be absolutely perfect. I know that because I tried a 6.2" Galaxy Mega just for fun with no intention of keeping it since I knew beforehand it had a low-res display. That phone was a bit too large to hold comfortably, but I could definitely enjoy a 6.0" size.

Rumor has the Note 4 featuring a 5.9" display, but then refuted by another saying it'll stay at 5.7". Time will tell.

Upvote 0
So I got my G3 today...well removed my sim from GS4 and sdcard as well. Turned back on the GS4. .. home screen was set to blank screen and my keyboard was changed to Samsung from Swype. Wier

Setup the G3 with SIM and sdcard and plugged the cable for it to charge. Phone turns on and I set it up. Go to make phone call and I can't make a phone call at all nor 611. Rebooted the phone. And still no dice.

Cane back home for dinner and phone was charged .did some Gmail for like 4 minutes and battery was at 97%. Let play store finished installing all its apps
. Woke up the screen with double taps and screen would show and I would try to swipe the screen nothing would happen and pushed the power button to turn off the screen. Woke it up again and still no response by swiping. Finally on the four th try it was back to normal. Anybudeas?

For anyone who has VZW LG g3 how many memory internally. I thought it should have 3 gigs roght? How can you check if it has 3?

Apart from that phone gets warm on the back if it is on for like 5 minutes, screen brightness is low. The only lag is when I move the home screen to another. Apart from that it is fast.

Wonder if I have a bad one

Upvote 0
Well mobile data and WiFi over night, battery went from 86% to 70%. Probably going to exchange it for a different one.

You are upset about losing 16% overnight?! I was surprised my phone wasn't dead this morning when I woke up having not plugged it in to charge, my S3 would have been. What kind of battery life as you expecting?!

Upvote 0
I have an att LG g3 and I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem but I can't seem to change from auto to manual brightness from shuffling thru the different brightness modes on the notification toggle bar.

while cycling through, a little a in the center will come and go really quickly..really confused about this...anyone else having this problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones