The ONE thing this phone doesn't have?General

Last Updated:

1. Blue_Fedora

Blue_Fedora Active Member This Topic's Starter

First off, let me just say I really really like my HTC Droid Eris. Had it 3 months this week and only experienced one actual problem. To say I really really like it is almost an understatement since I'm bordering on loving this phone.

ONE thing prevents me from saying I love this phone.

Not having a hands-free voice dialer is that ONE thing.

I have a Jawbone ICON and really really like it... if the HTC Droid Eris had hands-free voice dialing I'd love my ICON too, though I realize the limitation is with my phone not my bluetooth hf device.

Sorry to say I just can't fathom why this phone's native OS doesn't allow it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are good arguments/reasons why but in an age of practically every state having laws about using your cell phone while driving, it's almost a basic necessity. I don't want to grab my phone, wake it up, scroll thru the contact list and find the person I want to call or manually enter a number. It's pretty much illegal while driving. I spend a lot of time in my car and feel stupid for not having clued into the fact that Voice Dialing <> Hands Free Voice Dialing when choosing this phone three months ago :(

If I had a hands-free voice dialer, I'd love my HTC Droid Eris.

Am I alone in this? Is there ONE thing that's keeping you from loving it?

Advertisement
  2. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member

You can still love your phone! Have you tried Vlingo?
    http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/59091-vlingo-beta.html

I don't really use bluetooth headsets, but I use this app for dialing, texting, directions, and email while driving. The voice recognition is amazingly accurate. You can set it as your voice search (long pressing the soft search button), replacing the default google search.
    One of my favorite apps. That along with swype made me fall in love with my phone again. Hope this helps!

3. Blue_Fedora

Blue_Fedora Active Member This Topic's Starter

From what I'm reading in the VLingo thread, it's not available for 1.5

So that's strike two...
    1) Voice Dialer HF <--- not avail for Android 1.5
    2) VLingo <--- not avail for Android 1.5

I'm liking my phone less and less.

4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

2.1 will happen eventually. You can like it then. For now, I just hold the green button and then 'call work' or whoever.

5. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member

Or you can just use the google voice search to dial. It works pretty well.

6. meanm50

meanm50 Well-Known Member

My stock VD works through BT. Don't know what your issue is. Maybe your car is too noisy?

7. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

It is very frustrating and something that I feel Google should have paid attention to. You have valid arguments even though holding the cell while driving hasn't been outlawed in my state. One thing that you can do is hold the button down on the Jawbone and it will say "Voice Dialing". It will call the last number that you dialed. There's your consolation prize for now. I remember seeing a thread about this, and if I remember correctly, OTD posted info about the roadmap for voice dialing to be added and I don't think it's in any near-future plans.