The phone that wont make calls.

Last Updated:

1. PJN161

PJN161 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all.
    Just got the Desire a few days ago, and loving the whole Mini-computer aspect of it.
    Problem is, its a real nuisance trying to make a simple call.

It was an upgrade, so my sim card contained loads of old contacts long since gone, so I cleaned out the sim card and started afresh.
    Problem is, when I add mobile numbers starting with "07", it overrides my input and when I hit "save" the number comes up with the international dial code of "44" at the start.
    This should be ok, but if I try to make a call, I get a female voice saying "the number you are trying to call has not been recognised, please try redialling"

It`s infuriating!
    is there any way to simply add the number "I" want, and not have the phone decide what it thinks I want?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

Hmm I had a similar problem with a couple of contacts that I had linked to facebook, turns out they had stored the mobile numbers on facebook with 44 at the start.

Is every 07 number affected?

PJN161 likes this.
  3. PJN161

See? i KNEW it was a good idea to call in here first! hehehe!
    that is exactly what the problem was.
    The day I got it, I simply followed like a sheep and allowed the phone to decide for me what i wanted.
    Turns out it was a big mistake just allowing all my Facebook contact info to decide the numbering system.
    Ive now overridden the FB contact info and created "phone contacts" instead.
    Thanks so much for that, I`m now happily entering numbers the way I wanted instead of how the Desire and FB wanted to do it.
    Cheers :)

4. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

Glad I could help!

5. pr1vatepiles

pr1vatepiles Member

got this same problem at minute with my partners number. was set on facebook as 44xxxx, i got her to remove this, no change. i deleted her then added as a phone contact but it still comes up as 44. however when she rings it comes as 077 and even shows her pic from fb. very odd.

edit:

can send and recieve texts to her number, just calls that wont connect.

6. PJN161

Yes, one stubborn contact continued to work like this on mine..my daughter`s number.
    the only way I could get round this was to set the phone to use "phone contacts", deleted the FB contact entry for my daaughter, then back into phone contacts, and added her as a "new contact" with a slightly different contact name... entered the number as it should be "07" and , voila, works fine now.

7. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

If it forces to a +44 number you just gotta delete the 0 to make it +4477.....

8. suicida

suicida Active Member

I have one stubborn contact that I can't reply to texts to. When I first got the Desire and used FB contact sync she had her number listed on FB as 447... (without the '+' at the start) and I couldn't text or call her as numbers that start with 44 are invalid. I've since turned off FB contact sync (because of the bugs) but if I get a text from her I cannot use the reply box at the bottom because somehow the phone has remembered the 447 number. I have to create a new text and add her to the 'To' box each time.

Have tried creating a new contact with a slightly different name and deleting the old one but it still doesn't work :(