• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The reason I pay...

100% uptime would be great. And you made this thread to bash pcworld, and sprint. Just b/c its not good in your immediate area, like mentioned above, doesn't mean they don't have good coverage.

Not really, it was more to make to make fun of PC World, I'm OK with Sprint. I could kick them in the junk for not supporting DC as well, but AT&T deserves that more for luring people over with the iPhone and not letting them use the thing as a phone. They've gotten better, but they still deserve it for the initial insult.

The folks on my family plan are spread out, so I need good coverage for everybody, not just the family in the midwest. VZW does that for me and does it well, that's why I pay them for it.

Tmo isn't completely terrible for voice out here. I don't know anyone who uses it for data. They did have this wierd problem with their voicemail sometimes where you wouldn't get your messages for hours or days, but it was more a source of comedy than anything else.

Upvote 0
Not really, it was more to make to make fun of PC World, I'm OK with Sprint. I could kick them in the junk for not supporting DC as well, but AT&T deserves that more for luring people over with the iPhone and not letting them use the thing as a phone. They've gotten better, but they still deserve it for the initial insult.

The folks on my family plan are spread out, so I need good coverage for everybody, not just the family in the midwest. VZW does that for me and does it well, that's why I pay them for it.

Tmo isn't completely terrible for voice out here. I don't know anyone who uses it for data. They did have this wierd problem with their voicemail sometimes where you wouldn't get your messages for hours or days, but it was more a source of comedy than anything else.

Oh.. I see =D

And consumer reports isn't reliable at all. Since when do the general public know about technology other than turning it on and off and a few features =/. And even if the bills are the same or close between verizon and sprint, you get A LOT more from sprint for the same money. Check the repective websites =/. Like I said before, unless you have something rock solid with no feasable flaws, its not wise to come at me sideways. Also 50k people is a drop in a very large bucket of the 400million some odd people with mobile phones. Surveys and polls have been very commonly known to be completely and utterly useless, and have no scientific backing.

Yeah I'm a paid sprint rep :rolleyes:

That's why in an earlier post I mentioned I would jump ship if I found a better value to service ratio.

So I must clearly be paid by sprint, along with everyone else on this forum who supports sprint.

The reason I check other carriers etc I I like to be well informed. Something wrong with that? And when I see something I disagree with, I post, as this is a forum for discussion.

I

Upvote 0
@Covert_Death The article is from Dec. 09, I can't imagine Sprint having turned over a new leaf in the last 4 months.

As to accuracy, it's a survey. The more, and diverse the people polled, the more accurate it is (and 50k is as large a poll as you're likely to ever see on this topic). Consumer Reports is as unbiased as an entity can get (certainly more so than PC World), their revenue is solely subscription-based, they receive no money for advertisements.

If you look closely, the "Phone" column is under the Customer Support catagory. I will agree it is somewhat vague, as it either means Customer support OF their phones or support VIA phone. I'm sure the article from which the image was pulled elaborates which. I am sure however, that it isn't rating the variety of phones the carrier offers.

Upvote 0
@Covert_Death The article is from Dec. 09, I can't imagine Sprint having turned over a new leaf in the last 4 months.

As to accuracy, it's a survey. The more, and diverse the people polled, the more accurate it is (and 50k is as large a poll as you're likely to ever see on this topic). Consumer Reports is as unbiased as an entity can get (certainly more so than PC World), their revenue is solely subscription-based, they receive no money for advertisements.

If you look closely, the "Phone" column is under the Customer Support catagory. I will agree it is somewhat vague, as it either means Customer support OF their phones or support VIA phone. I'm sure the article from which the image was pulled elaborates which. I am sure however, that it isn't rating the variety of phones the carrier offers.

So now PCWORLD scientific approach is much less accurate than a survey. Let's just close down science facilities and take surveys then.

Upvote 0
Lol @ sprint dropping calls.
Many of us have had Sprint and had problems. I defy you to come to my hometown and tell me that you obtain consistent Sprint service here. I did not, with 3 different phones. And my personal experience with Sprint c/s was horrid. Multiple intentional hang ups, clueless csr's and long wait times.

Yeah, my experience is anecdotal but so is yours. Glad Sprint works for you, it did not for me. I choose not waste money on a product/service that does not perform as it should.

Upvote 0
The grass is always greener, is right! That is exactly how I justified not declaring war on VZW when Sprint got the Instinct. I read a lot more complaints about it while I waited for my NE2 to be up that spring, so I picked up the Samsung Glyde. It worked great and didn't have as many people complaining as the Instinct, but I moved to the Dare that fall because it had more features.

I then found out that the Glyde owners weren't complaining because the phone was so evil it had silenced those who would speak out by not working! My husband (I had duped him into taking that phone when I bought my Dare) was ready to trade me in for a better model. :( For penance, I bought him a Droid.

So, yeah the grass is always greener. If I had moved over and gotten the Instinct, I wouldn't have had to buy the husband a Droid. The downside is that I might have dumped it for the Hero. Then I would have had to buy a Moment (because I am sure the the support folks at HTC would have filed a restraining order by then.) All and all, it probably would have worked out as well as it has now (barring reception craziness,) but the level of craziness might have been about the same.

The grass may be greener but it probably looks the same when it comes out of the other end of the cow. -_-

Wow while I was in the gutter, my mind wandered over to IOWA's possible response of "I looks like you paid more for your poop than I did..." I don't really know what to say about that.

Upvote 0
The grass is always greener, is right! That is exactly how I justified not declaring war on VZW when Sprint got the Instinct. I read a lot more complaints about it while I waited for my NE2 to be up that spring, so I picked up the Samsung Glyde. It worked great and didn't have as many people complaining as the Instinct, but I moved to the Dare that fall because it had more features.

I then found out that the Glyde owners weren't complaining because the phone was so evil it had silenced those who would speak out by not working! My husband (I had duped him into taking that phone when I bought my Dare) was ready to trade me in for a better model. :( For penance, I bought him a Droid.

So, yeah the grass is always greener. If I had moved over and gotten the Instinct, I wouldn't have had to buy the husband a Droid. The downside is that I might have dumped it for the Hero. Then I would have had to buy a Moment (because I am sure the the support folks at HTC would have filed a restraining order by then.) All and all, it probably would have worked out as well as it has now (barring reception craziness,) but the level of craziness might have been about the same.

The grass may be greener but it probably looks the same when it comes out of the other end of the cow. -_-

Wow while I was in the gutter, my mind wandered over to IOWA's possible response of "I looks like you paid more for your poop than I did..." I don't really know what to say about that.

Hahaha so how you likin that expensive poop? J/k. But the instinct was a major flop. I begged my gf not to get one, but that's what she wanted... so I (painfully) got her one.

Upvote 0
I'm a Verizon customer and have a story I'd like to share with you. When I got out of school in '97 (AAS in telecommunications & wireless communications) and started my job, I needed to get a cell phone. I chose to go with Commnet Cellular (later Airtouch & currently Verizon) and had 2 years of trouble free service. Then somehow my sister conviced me to get service on her carrier, CellularOne (later Alltel & currently AT&T). It was twice the minutes for same price I was paying on Commnet. So I switched. After two months of horrible service, going round & round with their customer service, they let me outta contract. I worked for a company that installed communications & security equipment in hospitals, prisons & schools, I could not afford to miss a call if they were having a problem. I worked in a tri-state area (E South Dakota, SW Minnesota, & NW Iowa) and had no service in rural areas and spotty coverage in larger cities (Sioux Falls, Spencer, etc.), and this was on analog which had longer range than digital service! I switched back and haven't had a problem with service since. I now live in central South Dakota, in a house with steel siding and about 25 miles away from the nearest tower & I still get great service. My sister is still on her original carrier, and she can't get service out here and her tower is less than 20 miles away. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's not a better deal if it doesn't work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones