The relation between Latitude and my batterySupport

Last Updated:

1. d-kopf

d-kopf New Member This Topic's Starter

The one measure that single-handedly has done most to improve battery life for me (Desire/2.2) is to log out of Latitude. The difference is like night and day! Today I listened to Spotify over 3G, with high quality stream on my way to and from work, about 30 minutes per trip, surfed a couple of newspaper mobile pages, watched something like like 7 minutes of streaming video over 3G and fiddled a bit in general and had the screen activated quite a lot. I've probably forgotten some little things too, but when I got home today the phone had somewhere between 50-60% remaining, which is absolutely outstanding if you have got used to having the damn telephone die on the way home. I will still have to charge it every day probably, but now I don't have to set the backlight to a bare minimum on the way home from work to squeeze out the last of the battery.

One interesting thing is that I have the app SystemPanel installed for some some time now and it has never shown that the CPU works less than 3% during idle if you enable tracking for a while and then check out the History. However, following the log-out from Latitude, SystemPanel begun showing that the CPU load was mostly only 1% in idle and even large periods of 0% activity, which never happened before!

A further measure I also have taken is to is to turn off all updates except Google's own (email / calendar / contacts). Don't know if it will affect the battery much, but I realized that for my part, it doesn't matter if FB, Twitter, Flickr, etc. update automatically. After all, I read these only when I have some spare time and then I open the apps manually. The same applies if I want the weather and the like.

Too bad Latitude is a power thief, would be great if you could set the update conditions yourself.

Advertisement
  2. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member

Anything that turns on the GPS will drain the battery. GPS receivers are power hogs.

3. d-kopf

d-kopf New Member This Topic's Starter

That is true, but my GPS was deactivated so Latitude got its data solely from mobile triangulation.